Rippetoe gives his thoughts on Cain and Junior's S&C and his thoughts on S&C for MMA

That'd probably be a bit too sleezy even for me. I didn't care for the guy. We just didn't get along. Maybe I'm the asshole.

Did he make any inapropriate moves towards younger ladies?
Ive heard thats his thing.

Has it really been that way?

Rip is great for novices and basic barbell lifting. He explains it well simple enough for someone to not get hurt

Other then that he shouldnt really talk about dieting (horrible advice) or programing relating to other sports specific carry over.

His dieting advice that I've read is pretty straight forward - eat real food, eat real protein and fats, and only eat grains/carbs if you can handle it or given your athletic needs. He admits he rarely eats processed carbs like bread because it makes him fat.

Granted, he's a bit fat anyway but still, he's never told everyone to drink a gallon of milk. The Internet seem to think Rippetoe tells everyone on earth to drink a gallon of milk a day forever but if you read his books and articles you'd see the Internet are wrong.

Somehow this turned into a Rip hating thread instead of a Cain and Junior's S&C coaches need to be fired thread.

Rip's not entirely wrong, if Cain were stronger, all else being equal, he would be an even better fighter.

Could that happen without diminishing his incredible cardio? That's a significant part of his arsenal.

Lol at Rip and conditioning. GTFO.

Could that happen without diminishing his incredible cardio? That's a significant part of his arsenal.

Of course it could. It would not be easy, but then he has the willpower to become the HW champ, so something tells me he can push himself in training.

Somehow this turned into a Rip hating thread instead of a Cain and Junior's S&C coaches need to be fired thread.

This shit would've never reached 100+ replies if it was about strength and conditioning. Threads only make it this far when it gets all gossipy.

Last edited:
Ah, the internet.

No, reality.

Everybody can get stronger. Just a matter of it being feasible. Given that none of us really know Cain's exact training program or how his training cycles are laid out, we cannot really comment on how this would be done.

However, everybody can get stronger. The best strength athletes in the world manage this every year (to a point, of course, eventually it comes to an end) so people with far less strength can get stronger much easier, as they are less close to their genetic limit.

Given that increases in strength can come from areas other than increases in physical mass, and many of these areas transfer far better to peak power output for a fighter, well, it follows that it not only can be done, but might be a priority for some athletes.

Given that lifting to increase strength really does not take that much time in comparison to the volume of his other training, a few strength based cycles should integrate nearly seamlessly with the rest of his training, and might actually improve certain aspects of it (such as injury prevention/reduction, which should be a cornerstone of a decent S&C program).

This is rather like asking if athletes who compete in the decathlon can get stronger. Of course they can, and their training volume is often best described as insane. Does not always mean that it is what is necessary or optimal, but increases in strength rarely hinder an athlete.

No, reality.

Everybody can get stronger. Just a matter of it being feasible. Given that none of us really know Cain's exact training program or how his training cycles are laid out, we cannot really comment on how this would be done.

However, everybody can get stronger. The best strength athletes in the world manage this every year (to a point, of course, eventually it comes to an end) so people with far less strength can get stronger much easier, as they are less close to their genetic limit.

Given that increases in strength can come from areas other than increases in physical mass, and many of these areas transfer far better to peak power output for a fighter, well, it follows that it not only can be done, but might be a priority for some athletes.

Given that lifting to increase strength really does not take that much time in comparison to the volume of his other training, a few strength based cycles should integrate nearly seamlessly with the rest of his training, and might actually improve certain aspects of it (such as injury prevention/reduction, which should be a cornerstone of a decent S&C program).

This is rather like asking if athletes who compete in the decathlon can get stronger. Of course they can, and their training volume is often best described as insane. Does not always mean that it is what is necessary or optimal, but increases in strength rarely hinder an athlete.

Eric dropping the Knowledge Bombs up in here.:cool:

Eric dropping the Knowledge Bombs up in here.:cool:

Not really. Basics of exercise prescription and programming, nothing more. Really should fall under "common knowledge."

Or, of course, common sense. If one were to think about it, an athlete who is known for his extreme cardiovascular conditioning has probably sacrificed in other areas to achieve this. It then becomes a matter of figuring out how to maintain CV work and output while increasing strength. And we do not have enough info to give a solid opinion as to how, other than avoiding stupid shit like high rep leg extensions.

What makes you think strength building and cardio aren't related to one another?

They aren't. At least, not in the way most people use the word "cardio", by which I generally assume they mean aerobic endurance.

First I just want to say to those who have a tampon stuck in their asses about people talking about Rippetoe after he once again made contentious statement solely in order to get attention: don't read the thread and don't respond hypocrite.

Second, I make no illusions that my running and lifting goals are non congruent and competing. In an attempt to better pair up conditioning and general lifting the concept has gotten taken way to far just like the "functional" movement.

My goals are still possible to do rather well with proper planning and expectations.

No, reality.

This is a pretty considerable bro post, fit for discussing someone dude heading to the gym and not elite athletes.

1. Strength and aerobic training have the potential to interfere with one another, which is something that elite athletes and trainers have to contend with all the time. You obliquely hint many times strength training may not be what Cain needs to prioritize, but then still continue with your simplistic post without considering the vast complexity of sports science.

2. The emboldened part: this is incorrect. Current science indicates that at elite levels only strength gains from cross-sectional increases (hypertrophy) are applicable across a wide array of athletic endeavours. Non-hypertrophic increases are training specific.

3. This was a great rah rah bro post for the average joe to hit the gym, but does not acknowledge the fact that there are very real reasons why it may not be advisable for Cain to further prioritize strength training. I know none of us are in a position to say so conclusively and the very nature of the internet is we're all talking out of our asses and loving every minute of it, but it irked me that your mildly condescending lecture didn't even consider this.

This is a pretty considerable bro post, fit for discussing someone dude heading to the gym and not elite athletes.

No, not really.

1. Strength and aerobic training have the potential to interfere with one another, which is something that elite athletes and trainers have to contend with all the time. You obliquely hint many times strength training may not be what Cain needs to prioritize, but then still continue with your simplistic post without teconsidering the vast complexity of sports science.

I do consider it. This is why I state, multiple times, that we do not have enough information. Kindly do not lie about what I may or may not be considering.

2. The emboldened part: this is incorrect. Current science indicates that at elite levels only strength gains from cross-sectional increases (hypertrophy) are applicable across a wide array of athletic endeavours. Non-hypertrophic increases are training specific.

Support the bold. Key point being "only."

3. This was a great rah rah bro post for the average joe to hit the gym, but does not acknowledge the fact that there are very real reasons why it may not be advisable for Cain to further prioritize strength training. I know none of us are in a position to say so conclusively and the very nature of the internet is we're all talking out of our asses and loving every minute of it, but it irked me that your mildly condescending lecture didn't even consider this.

I did consider this. Please go back and read my post. I would say re-read it, but it is clear you did such a poor job of doing so the first time that it should not be called reading.

I only addressed the possibility for a reason. That is because that is all we can address. It begins and ends there secondary to our lack of information.

But I apologize for not speculating about the actual feasibility of how to structure a training program for someone when I do not know their goals at this time, training program, volume, etc.

My reasons were clear, as I stated ignorance multiple times. Thank you for lying again.

Go get irked somewhere else.

Back