Most overrated bands of all time?

The way I see it, any band that's generally considered great and/or legends, are generally overrated IMO. It's just there fans elevate them to demi-god status, and there's simply no way any band could be that good. Hendrix is a perfect example of this. The way you often hear him spoken about in discussions about great guitarists, you would think he wasn't even human, but some sort of deity manifesting itself through his music. That's nonsense; he was just a phenomenal guitarist /songwriter who was slightly ahead of his time. So essentially, name any great musical act you like, and chances are they're overrated, at least by their fans.

Yeah, Hendrix is over rated for sure. Thing is there are many aspects that need to be taken into account when talking about a great guitar player.

Technically and as a writer he was good, the greatest part about him though was his influence on the genre and his innovations, that's why he's considered great.

Many call him the greatest guitar player of all time. I'd call him one of the most influential guitarists of all time. There are better players and writers.

Unfortunately, the man died too soon though so we have a very limited catalogue of music to draw from. He could've been much greater if his career would've been allowed to mature had he not died.

Avenged Sevenfold...can't stand them

Black Sabbath *puts on flame suit*

Can't see how Sabbath are over rated, they're partly responsible for an entire genre of music. And they have several truly classic albums. They have a few terrible albums, like Born Again but H&H, Paranoid, Self Titled, Master of Reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are all solid. H&H and Paranoid especially, you can turn both on and just let them play with few sour notes, which is a real rarity.

Can't see how Sabbath are over rated, they're partly responsible for an entire genre of music. And they have several truly classic albums. They have a few terrible albums, like Born Again but H&H, Paranoid, Self Titled, Master of Reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are all solid. H&H and Paranoid especially, you can turn both on and just let them play with few sour notes, which is a real rarity.

born again isnt that bad.

Everything I like is underrated.

Everything everybody else likes is overrated.

My opinion is law. All other opinions are wrong and also overrated.

I'm not defending them as a band (never listened to them so I have no judgement one way or the other) but why do you think it's a silly name? "Foo fighter" is a term from WWII describing UFOs; seems like a cool enough name for a band.

[YT]a84IowoW00w[/YT]

the older I get the more I think the Rolling Stones were vastly overrated. Everything after "Some Girls" would have been a failure if it weren't for their previous work and reputation. I also think the "rivalry" with the Beatles helped give them more legitimacy than they really deserved. None of them are exceptional musicians, Jagger is a subpar singer and they are as guilty of ripping off old R&B singers/songwriters than anyone.
Nobody really cares about the bass player in rock, but as far as rock bassists go, Bill Wyman was among the best of them, IMHO. Listen to his playing on "Miss You", it's pretty sick. Mick Taylor and Ron Wood are also very good lead guitarists as far as classic rock goes (where it was more of a "feel" thing than about being a technical typewritist). Keith Richards is nothing special as a technician, but his songwriting abilities and knack for creating killer riffs is right up there. Jagger is nothing special as a singer, but he's a great songwriter and lyricist in his own right and his collaborations with Richards really brought out the best of both of them. Not that I necessarily disagree with all of your points, though.

led zeppelin.
The funny thing is, is that they were almost universally panned by rock critics throughout their original chart run. They didn't really get critical praise until their music proved to have incredible staying power and relevancy in pop culture. And of course they've always had a lot of fans and massive album sales. But they used to get shit on hard by critics. Rolling Stone actually shit on them harder than Madonna, Britney Spears, various boy bands, etc. That's not to say that they haven't been highly rated or even arguably overrated, but I think a lot of people forget or are unaware that they got shit on a lot in their time. Not only from critics, but from people complaining about plagiarism and all that.

The Doors

Always thought Morrison was a horrible singer, and the orgon (sp?) in their songs is extremely annoying.

If Morrison hadn't ODed, they would have faded into obscurity within a few years. Instead since he stupidly died at the height of their popularity, they're forever known to be legends.

No No No No.
Wrong!

There has never been a band like them before or since.

Arctic Monkeys

Straight garbage right there.

Pink Floyd

KermitNod.gif

Back