Serious Movie Discussion XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Bullitt about the score. I was underwhelmed. I mean, some moments were good, no doubt, but, it didn't blow me away. It felt like this movie should have been the most 'zimmer' score, as you say, it should have been the most epic, but it was just underwhelming, especially compared to his other work (although I certainly agree with you that it wasn't the same as in other movies).

Sharlto Copley was good in Disctrict 9, but he has the worst accent in Hollywood. I can't understand half of what he says.

Maleficent is crap, btw. I hate how these fantasy movies decide to (shittily) use CGI for everything. Make a set for fuck's sake.

Small attention span? Whoa! Jesus! I'm trying to get shit done at the same time as this. I don't have a job, I have a lot of health problems and I'm going to be doing a lot of stretching and other things while this is on. I'm trying not to waste time, it's not because I can't 'think through a movie' or something. I'm just busy. AND, I like shows because they are longer - I can have one continuous storyline for days. It works out well, trust me.

Watch Shoah, Fanny & Alexander, Berlin Alexanderplatz, or Satantango then, gawdamn.

So I'm moving to the UK in a little over a month. The last few weeks have been quite a whirlwind, but the short version: I applied for a scholarship for a three-year PhD program at Cardiff University and got it. Everything paid for and then some. It's fucking insane. Lot of work went into the application, which took up all of the time I had that wasn't spent at work, but now I finally have a little pocket of time to play catch-up.

Congratulations brah! Full ride and everything.

Wales huh? I've never been in my time here in the UK. Need to change that. Supposed to be beautiful.

I'm going through your recent BS with applications for scholarship/PhD as well.

He tried to conceptualize/verbalize something that can't be conceptualized/verbalized (I'm intentionally avoiding using Nolan's preferred term, "quantifiable," which made me cringe every time it was said) and it took away the emotional power.

I think he does this in everything.

So you're saying it's worse than Crash :icon_lol:

NOTHING is worse than Crash.

That's one hell of a bizarrely awesome double-header :icon_chee

I've seen nearly everything good to great this year in theatres, but those two were my favorite nights at the movies of the year. I have a whole new respect for Straw Dogs now.

Got any movie or TV recommendations for me?

Mad Men is your best bet with drama. But I wouldn't want it in the background. That show is doing too many great things to be watched like that.

For comedy, Flem's right, Sunny, for at least the first few seasons, is gold. I'm an early Community man myself.

I'm gonna save all those shows - HenryFlower - thanks. I've seen almost all of Mad Men. 5 seasons I think? It's a good show.

I agree with Bullitt about the score. I was underwhelmed. I mean, some moments were good, no doubt, but, it didn't blow me away. It felt like this movie should have been the most 'zimmer' score, as you say, it should have been the most epic, but it was just underwhelming, especially compared to his other work (although I certainly agree with you that it wasn't the same as in other movies).

i can sympathize with any complaint on the movie...except the score. it's kind of blowing my mind that anyone could disagree with that.

Inceptions score is awesome as well. This thing rules so fucking hard. It's one of my favorite things that's ever been in a movie, extending beyond music/score.

Hans Zimmer is commonly snickered at, with many people rolling their eyes from score-to-score; many people also praise his scores, no doubt. Zimmer is one of the main reasons why I keep putting off 12 Years a Slave though, since nothing reeks of Oscar bait worse than another cliched Hans Zimmer score. It's especially hilarious that you mentioned the Inception soundtrack, which is mundane as fuck. Dude hasn't been innovative since '94. Zimmer is like Danny Elfman, where you're getting the same thing over and over again. People will preach his Oscar nominations as if they mean something, but in the end, Avatar still won Best Cinematography in 2009.

Jonny Greenwood though.

Last edited:
innovative? who cares about innovative? i really can't stand people that look at art the way you do. music in film is supposed to be complementary above anything else.

it's also insanely egregious to criticize him of being mundane or even lacking creativity when he just wrote a score that was carried by a pipe organ and knocked it out of the park.

it's so weird to me when people are alleged fans of music or movies and all they ever praise is the most rebellious examples of the form.

i can sympathize with any complaint on the movie...except the score. it's kind of blowing my mind that anyone could disagree with that.

Inceptions score is awesome as well. This thing rules so fucking hard. It's one of my favorite things that's ever been in a movie, extending beyond music/score.

The Inception score was sick as fuck, I totally agree. I felt like that's more what Interstellar should have sounded like.

Last edited:
Good luck over there in the UK.

ibw8FjEutqX5Po.gif

I considered the science/space drama adventure to be its strongest points. But whenever they switch it back to Earth, it loses its momentum a little. The father-daughter relationship didn't quite have that big effect on me since I was kinda annoyed with the daughter's bratty attitude.

I admit, I did find the daughter annoying (kid, adult, and old), but it was McC who sold it.

From driving off and checking the passenger's seat to watching those videos to seeing his memories to finally being beside her upon her death, McC was throwing smoke from the first pitch and he was getting me right in the feels.
I'm kinda irritated by the forced tension they created with him coming back from the burning fields and the convenient reason why they started fighting in the first place. They keep on repeatedly showing Topher Grace on the lookout for Casey to come back. It's not like he's a total psycho and going to kill them when he comes back. At worst, he's going to yell at them to get the F out of his house.

Yes, that scene felt very out-of-place. It was like he was gearing up to have Affleck come back and kill her, but that obviously wasn't going to happen yet it played out that way. Very sloppy scene that could've been avoided had Affleck just not been there.

Cardiff is the most British sounding thing ever.

[YT]P8s0XXKXg8s&start=32&end=62[/YT]

Skarsgard only had a few scenes which were unremarkable, Bullitt68 - not worth the watch if that's all you're looking for.

i31gffLX8N559.gif

Got any movie or TV recommendations for me? I like TV shows better because I can let them play and do other shit and not miss key things (because they evolve more slowly, take more time, etc). I'll be in the room but I won't be watching the whole time that's for sure.

The fact that I'm going to recommend the following series given this set-up may not seem like the best endorsement, but honestly, if you never checked out Burn Notice during its run, I think that'd make for a good next move. It's one of my favorite shows and it really sneaks up on you just how much is going on with the characters and the themes of regret, repeating history's mistakes, and the proliferation of doppelgangers. On the face of it, it's just a great ride. Beautiful locations, lots of eye candy, snappy dialogue, lots of great action, and solid performances all around, and if you enjoy it to start off, you'll soon find yourself really invested in the characters and their psychologically, emotionally, and ethically complicated entanglements.

totally disagree on the score. Thought it was fantastic and more unique than what we heard from inception and batman movies which all sound quite similar. Until interstellar I thought zimmer tends to recycle th e same old tunes (gladiator/pirates of the carribean) or at least they sound very samey.
You really dont remember the church organs? It enhanced all the feeling of dredd from the astronauts situation.

Inceptions score is awesome as well.

The only thing I remember from Interstellar was the faint sense of a Thus Spake Zarathustra riff in homage to 2001. Other than that, I can't call to mind a single sound from the score. Literally nothing. It's like it wasn't even there, which I have never said about Zimmer's work, especially considering Inception is one of the best-scored films I've ever seen. Just humming the music at the end gives me chills and I start seeing the images in my head and get the rush like I'm right in the thick of the film.

Congratulations brah! Full ride and everything.

iDPfAvxy9QmHN.gif

I'm going through your recent BS with applications for scholarship/PhD as well.

Best of luck. Where are you applying?

I have a whole new respect for Straw Dogs now.

Absolute masterpiece. You've seen The Getaway, too, right? Those two together make for Peckinpah's peak, IMO.

The only thing I remember from Interstellar was the faint sense of a Thus Spake Zarathustra riff in homage to 2001. Other than that, I can't call to mind a single sound from the score. Literally nothing. It's like it wasn't even there, which I have never said about Zimmer's work, especially considering Inception is one of the best-scored films I've ever seen. Just humming the music at the end gives me chills and I start seeing the images in my head and get the rush like I'm right in the thick of the film.

that's strange, because it popped right out at me. i found it to be different for a Nolan film, but then his Michael Mann inspired cadence finds its way back into the more intense scenes. the whole thing plays with a simple 5-note leitmotif. first thing my friend asked after the movie ended was if i liked the music. because it was fucking awesome.

I don't recall a Thus Spake Zarathustra riff, but this reminded me of 2001.

Hans Zimmer is commonly snickered at, with many people rolling their eyes from score-to-score; many people also praise his scores, no doubt. Zimmer is one of the main reasons why I keep putting off 12 Years a Slave though, since nothing reeks of Oscar bait worse than another cliched Hans Zimmer score. It's especially hilarious that you mentioned the Inception soundtrack, which is mundane as fuck. Dude hasn't been innovative since '94. Zimmer is like Danny Elfman, where you're getting the same thing over and over again. People will preach his Oscar nominations as if they mean something, but in the end, Avatar still won Best Cinematography in 2009.

Jonny Greenwood though.

POTC, Sherlock Holmes, Inception, Tears of the Sun, Gladiator. All are different. Hell, even the Batmans are. Can you tell that Zimmer scored those movies? Sure. But that doesn't mean he's rehashing anything.

Elfman is an easier argument for you, but I love his scores as well.

The score in 12 Years a Slave is very subtle. I didn't know Zimmer did it until you brought it to my attention.

As far as Greenwood goes, The Master sounded very similar to TWBB. I guess he hasn't been innovative since 2007? But they're both good scores, so why act like it's a negative?

Also, the TWBB score had more drones compared to The Master.

haha :wink: - never seen that Insomnia. Got any movie or TV recommendations for me? I like TV shows better because I can let them play and do other shit and not miss key things (because they evolve more slowly, take more time, etc). I'll be in the room but I won't be watching the whole time that's for sure.

Good TV series that I've already watched:
The Wire
Deadwood
Oz
Breaking Bad
Orange is the New Black
Terminator: Sara Connor Chronicles
Hannibal
Firefly
Rome
Game of Thrones
Sopranos
Dexter
House of Cards

That's all I can think of right now, but that's the idea. Any recommendations? Is The Borgias any good? The Showtime version?

I'd recommend Battlestar Galactica (Bullit and Dragon will also back that) Sherlock and Luther.

I'm shocked that people didn't like the Interstellar score. I thought it was amazing.

The score from Inception might be my favorite thing ever.

I'd recommend Battlestar Galactica (Bullit and Dragon will also back that)

Good call, especially since he recently watched Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I watched those two in close proximity and they complimented each other very well with the sci-fi themes being explored.

Also, the TWBB score had more drones compared to The Master.

He's done over 100 scores, so it's not surprising that two are similar. Besides, it wasn't obvious. Neither of us noticed it.

That's kinda my point. They sounded similar, but they were truly different. It's like any band that evolves, yet still has a distinct sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back