people dont always stand up with rustam chsiev

That's giving Rustam a little too much credit, don't you think?

His statement was to broad, instead of competing, it should have been tries to beat them at their own game.

As far as wrestling in BJJ/grappling goes, I can't think of anyone on a higher level than Rustam, maybe a few equals.

Rodolfo is good at judo and takes most people that stand with him down. But he isn't so good at judo that it would be a fair comparison that his skill level is akin to Lebron James against an average basketball player. Just because Rustam is good, and better at wrestling than most BJJ players doesn't necessarily warrant a comparison to one of the best p4p grapplers of all time.

That being said, I enjoyed seeing someone stand with him, it makes his matches more fun to watch.

Rodolfo is good at judo and takes most people that stand with him down. But he isn't so good at judo that it would be a fair comparison that his skill level is akin to Lebron James against an average basketball player. Just because Rustam is good, and better at wrestling than most BJJ players doesn't necessarily warrant a comparison to one of the best p4p grapplers of all time.

That being said, I enjoyed seeing someone stand with him, it makes his matches more fun to watch.

sure, at the same time though i imagine it wasnt a literal comparison, but to illustrate the dynamic; 'if hes so good why did he get taken down', well against someone like that, its to be expected.

yeah he got taken down, but not being a bum is what made it interesting.

sure, at the same time though i imagine it wasnt a literal comparison, but to illustrate the dynamic; 'if hes so good why did he get taken down', well against someone like that, its to be expected.

yeah he got taken down, but not being a bum is what made it interesting.

That I can agree with.

Reall fun match It looked like Rustam was toying with him.

when was the last time he was tapped? i want to say it was against keenan but not sure

when was the last time he was tapped? i want to say it was against keenan but not sure

I think Keenan took his back when they fought and won on points. Lovato tapped him with a triangle in ADCC? I think someone else has triangled him too.

I'd shoot on Chsiev. Not saying I wouldn't get fukn rekt, but I'm crazy like that. I'll try osoto gari on einarr or uchi mata. I don't carefor sure, these guys are beasts. I think it's part of the culture. Martial arts and particularly wrestling/judo/sambo are REALLY popular in the North Caucasus. I read somewhere that most men there prior to the age of 10 have all done some form of combat sport.

Do you have any info on this guy's wrestling background at all? I literally can't find anything on him. Part of me wonders whether or not anyone actually bothered to record wrestling results in that part of the world though.

LOL @ comparing Einarr or Uchi Mata to Rustam Chsiev.

I don't think Judo or Sambo is nearly as popular as wrestling in the North Caucasus, especially in Ossetia. They are popular though.

I know he got wrecked by Jon Reader in the NYAC Open. He seems to have wrestled that tournament a few times and never placed.

That's like saying you don't see anything overly impressive about the black belts that compete with Mendes bros or Marcelo.

But you can tell the difference in skill of the black belts going against the Mends bros, can't you? I mean compare the guys they tear up in smaller tournaments, to their matches in the Worlds. It's the same with this video. I'm not judging his ability solely by his lack of success, but also that he doesn't seem to be doing anything from a technical standpoint that shows anything special in the wrestling department. He's just willing to try.

Fun match. Peruvian neck ties are pretty cool.

Pretty awesome match. Makes me wonder if Metamoris and ADCC see slower action because of the larger mat space.

Interesting thought.

but when they do, youre sure to see high level stuff.

What is Rustam doing to snap people down so out of position? People are always saying he's a physical beast. While he seems very strong and explosive, he seems to be able to get people to always pressure strongly into him due to his own very aggressive forward pressure.

There has to be more technique to his snapdown than most people suggest.

Ahh, it's always nice to see time capsules bob to the surface every now and then

What is Rustam doing to snap people down so out of position? People are always saying he's a physical beast. While he seems very strong and explosive, he seems to be able to get people to always pressure strongly into him due to his own very aggressive forward pressure.

There has to be more technique to his snapdown than most people suggest.

It's all about proprioception. He can intuitively sense how the other guy guy is carrying himself, which way his center of gravity is furthest away from his bases of support, and moves them in that direction.

Whether you call them shrugs, or slide bys, or pull bys, or more besides, they're some of my favorite techniques ever. Executing one successfully is one of the purest expressions of superior wrestling fundamentals in my mind.

Last edited:
Ahh, it's always nice to see time capsules bob to the surface every now and then

It's all about proprioception. He can intuitively sense how the other guy guy is carrying himself, which way his center of gravity is furthest away from his bases of support, and moves him in that direction.

Whether you call them shrugs, or slide bys, or pull bys, or more besides, they're some of my favorite techniques ever. Executing one successfully is one of the purest expressions of superior wrestling fundamentals in my mind.

Yea that makes sense. Rustam has probably been in a tie up hundreds of thousands more times than anyone he is likely to face in a bjj context. The snapdown doesn't seem technically complex but Rustam just has such a superior "feel" for the tie up position that his timing with techniques like the snap down just embarrasses bjj guys. I guess it's one those things where people ask you how to improve something and they just say "mat time". I don't think there's any other way to develop this kind of timing.

It's just a shame that people reduce what I perceive to be largely a technical gap as a physical one.

Back