Epic Beer Thread v30: Pumpkin Beers in August? WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're missing the point. They are brewing American Adjunct Lagers and they are brewing that particular style on point. It's not a style that I like and clearly you don't like either, but it is the style that the majority of Americans enjoy. The brewing process however is world class. It's not shitty beer, it's a shitty style.

Budweiser is a shitty version of an adjunct lager. Coors and Pabst are both better than it.

Thanks so much to milkmandanl for stopping by and bringing some awesome Cigar City brews. I think you'll really enjoy the beers I gave you too.

And Dan, if you're back tomorrow, I'll be working tomorrow afternoon/evening, and we still have Myrcenary and 1 or 2 oak aged rye pale ale from DBC left if you want to pick them up.

@Gorack - wine drinkers love sours that aren't super sour. Glad to know your wife liked it at least! That's half of the beer sharing equation :)

It was a pleasure meeting you Mass. Both the 3 Floyd's behemoth and KBS were pretty damn good... How was the good gourd?

Stopped by the local brewery and Hohner was kind enough to give me a sample of a beer he was brewing....bourbon barrel aged stout...really really good beer!

Congrats to you hohner for your new role at the brewery!!!

I had one of these recently and it was deliiiiicious. Drink it now IMO

Looking at the website it says it's "Alive in the bottle and will continue to mature" etc. but I have some friends coming over with De Garde bottles so I'd like to share it with them.

Will drink tonight, and if I like it I'll grab a few next time I'm in the US.

Budweiser is a shitty version of an adjunct lager. Coors and Pabst are both better than it.

It was posting on this thread yesterday that I came to the realization that I am beer snob. I refuse to drink anything besides IPA/DIPA/PA at all. Every time I go to a bar or out to eat I am concerned about getting good beer and hope they at least have some IPA even if it is a crappy mass produced one like Goose Island IPA or some shit.

I made it to Other Half brewery today and picked up a case consisting of Hop Showers and Amarillo.
Just started drinking Hop Showers and it is the bomb. I wish I knew how to describe it worth a damn. But it is one of my top beers. Green Diamonds and All Green Everything might be their most sought after beers, but I am saying this is a good step above. I would with a clear conscience put this over Heady Topper with out a second thought (just bringing up HT as I had them for the first time 2 days ago).

This might be my favorite beer period. The very end is like putting your tongue on the inside of an orange peel but in a good way.

MmJHpsU.jpg

Hop Showers is like
8wpL4ir.gif
level delicious.

Edit: Just drank some of the Amarillo. Pretty damn good. Not as good as Hop Showers but pretty close are really fucking good. A lot like a Hill Farmstead or Maine beer Co IPA---just trying to say it is like a new england IPA as far as I have experienced.

Other Half is the best NY brewery IMO.

Last edited:
It was a pleasure meeting you Mass. Both the 3 Floyd's behemoth and KBS were pretty damn good... How was the good gourd?

Really glad you liked them!

Good Gourd was legitimately awesome. We really enjoyed it. Drank it a few days after you left with some of our employees and everyone said it was great.

Bartender just gave me Ommegang's Three Philosophers when I asked what their favorite was and I swear I saw god.

98% belgian quad and 2% belgian kriek?

Who can't love this beer?

Stopped by the local brewery and Hohner was kind enough to give me a sample of a beer he was brewing....bourbon barrel aged stout...really really good beer!

Congrats to you hohner for your new role at the brewery!!!

Thanks bud. Glad you liked it.

Damn Masshole, another pure win with the Avery Liliko'i Kepola you sent.

Much more sour than the typical witbier in the very best of ways. Delicious, thank you.

06172015.jpg

Freigeist Abraxxxas Pear Lichtenhainer

-smoke ,leather,barnyard,pears,lemons
-wheat
-medium carbonation
-light,watery body

The smoke and sourness together didnt quite work for me in this.

486.jpg

North Coast Brother Thelonius
Belgian Dark Strong Ale

-plums,raisins,figs,caramel,toffee,spicy,slight banana
-strawberries,cherries
-medium to high carbonation
-light to medium body
-alcohol warmth

I was surprised at how close this comes to Belgian Dark strong ales.
Comparetively this lacked a bit of body

Robinsons%2BOld%2BTom%2BWith%2BChocolate.JPG

Robinson's Old Tom with Chocolate
English Strong Ale

-sweet chocolate,sour cherry,caramel,raisins,toffee
-chocolate,strawberry,raspberries,coffee
-medium carbonation
-medium body

Fairly nice,sweetish ale.Quite different from the regular Old Tom

lindemans-faro-lambic.jpg

Lindemans Faro

-wheat,lemon,old barn,leather
-lime,orange,sugar
-medium carbonation
-light to medium body

Fruitier than i though.Really nice warm weather beer

6822156592_beb830aab7.jpg

Left Hand Milk Stout

-chocolate,mocha,coffee,smoke
-cinnamon,sugary,oats,nutty,brown sugar
-low to medium carbonation
-light body

The sweetness seems balanced.Really nice

a108d00b6d860eca5a85160b72d2e6b.jpg

Moosbacher Zoigl

-white grapes,slight smoke,oranges,honey,bready,spicy,biscuity
-lemon,biscuity,herbs
-medium carbonation
-light,slightly watery body

I've never had an authentic Zoigl, so i can't say how close this comes to that rare beer style.
As a Kellerbier though,i really liked it

It was posting on this thread yesterday that I came to the realization that I am beer snob. I refuse to drink anything besides IPA/DIPA/PA at all. Every time I go to a bar or out to eat I am concerned about getting good beer and hope they at least have some IPA even if it is a crappy mass produced one like Goose Island IPA or some shit.

That's not being a beer snob. That's being narrow minded. You're no different than the guy only drinking Miller and Coors. Don't put yourself on a pedestal because you only drink one kind of good beer.

Got a box coming in from St. Louis this week. 2 Side Project sour/saisons, Central Waters Anniversary Stout, Milf, Peche de Mortel, and a local IPA from out that way. Pretty excited.

Damn Masshole, another pure win with the Avery Liliko'i Kepola you sent.

Much more sour than the typical witbier in the very best of ways. Delicious, thank you.

Fun fact: the sour/tart flavors are just from the passion fruit.

Glad you liked it!

I just had one of those (Likiko'i Kepola) the other day and it shocked the hell out of me. I did an IP with a guy here who threw it in and basically just said shut up and try it. I loved that thing. Very Berliner-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back