Catch Wrestling United

My complaints on the BJJ community are nothing compared to what I say about the BJJ community. lol. guard pulling, leg locks, belt ranks, stripes, The IBJJF, training methods, group think are just a few things I harp on about multiple times a year. I've done that here for like....A DECADE.

Covered that. It's not about calling it something different. It's about getting mad when someone else calls it different. I don't think it is dumb to have different names. Who thinks that?

LOL, 10th planet doesn't get a pass.

I'm not sure what I'm not showing, but whatever it is I apologize for it. BTW, defining things by "right and wrong" is like the opposite of what I am. I don't see the world that way what so ever. I don't even use the phrase "wrong" in real life. I might call someone a liar (if they intentionally tell lies), but I would never call someone wrong.

Honestly, I think you're projecting. :(

Thank you, and if it makes you feel better, I take shots at everyone, but I do it for a reason.

See! ^^ That's a cop out.

Well glad we cleared all this up!! :). But I stand by the issue I originally had with your jab at CACC, doesn't matter if you do it to all arts or not. In this instance you explained BJJ and then tried to explain CACC. I pointed out that GJJ was vary similar. If you come into a Catch thread and put Catch down then I will point out your glaring double standard, all in good spirit of course.

Last edited:
Good a place as any for my first post.

I'm wondering if there is any where that people know of in the Northeast of england that does Catch.

About 10 years ago I was training under a guy named Gary Pollard, but he appears to have dropped off the map since I've been away.

If theres anyone that can help it would be much appreciated.

Ian Jones is a catch guy, he's also a BJJ Black Belt since last year. He trains at Combat Base (my head school) and either trains at Fulinkazan in Bradford or Combat Base HQ in Pontefract, can't remember which. I'd email Darren or Helen Currie, they've trained with the guy for years and gave him his BJJ black belt, so you could either train there or can put you in touch with him. http://www.combatbase.co.uk

Worst case scenario Ian can hook you up with some other catch guys in the North East. Darren & Helen are very open to cross training and have black belts in Judo & Taekwondo amongst other things, and Ian has done some catch stuff at seminars, so you'll be well received.

Ian Jones is a catch guy, he's also a BJJ Black Belt since last year. He trains at Combat Base (my head school) and either trains at Fulinkazan in Bradford or Combat Base HQ in Pontefract, can't remember which. I'd email Darren or Helen Currie, they've trained with the guy for years and gave him his BJJ black belt, so you could either train there or can put you in touch with him. http://www.combatbase.co.uk

Worst case scenario Ian can hook you up with some other catch guys in the North East. Darren & Helen are very open to cross training and have black belts in Judo & Taekwondo amongst other things, and Ian has done some catch stuff at seminars, so you'll be well received.

Cheers for that.

The missus is getting ready to drop in the next few days, sononce that's past ill look at getting in touch!

Many thanks

hs04mv.jpg

George and Oswaldo Gracie training with the great Catch Wrestler Hatem.

Hey Josh,

Thoughts on Ken's choking technique against Kimbo?

His grappling technique in general in that fight?

ttt did not realize Dennis's son is also fighting.

41 MMA wins by sub is incredible, 2 over Hughes w the quickness, plus wins over Saunders, Hornbuckle, Makdessi

Any Catch in Deep South Texas, in &/or around the Rio Grande Valley area? That's basically my natural grappling style and I'd love to get into the scene if there is one here. It's mostly BJJ down here.

Last edited:
First time a picture ever compelled me to create an image macro. Thought you guys might dig it.

1384980.jpg

Raul Ranirez doing interview with Stephen Greenfield, who is an author of the book "Billy Riley - the man, the legacy". Starting from 07.25 Stephen gives a great history lection about CACC how it evolved from from early 1800 onwards adapting submission game on the way.

[YT]mTNRyXNM35I&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

First time a picture ever compelled me to create an image macro. Thought you guys might dig it.

1384980.jpg

I remember watching that match live and the ref was just looking confused for like a whole minute before finally calling the pin lol.

Maybe a silly question, but when would you guys say usa folkstyle wrestling and catch became separate sports?

Back