The All-Purpose Rugby Thread (League and Union): Champions Cup Semi-Finals on Today

Rimbaud82

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So...anything to do with either code can go here.

For instance, made some GIFs for potential Super League tries of the season. Will probably do the same for NRL at some point.

Richie Myler fancy footwork vs Wigan:

DescriptiveHandsomeDouglasfirbarkbeetle.gif
Jermaine McGillvary powerful solo try:

PerfectMisguidedBeardedcollie.gif
Josh Griffin try, after some ridiculous Rangi Chase skill:

WelllitPlainLarva.gif
Kevin Penny's brilliant acrobatics vs Leigh:

DecentFavoriteCardinal.gif

The Canadians will be getting a team in the next season I read, not sure why tbh since from what I can gather rugby is more well established there.

Always thought the CFL should just change and have a NFL team in Toronto and Vancouver and let the rest of the teams play what they originally did i.e. Rugby and hence you also have a international team that Canada can back.

YES!!!! Brilliant, we beat just Toulouse (one of the best teams in Europe) 38-0 after a rocky start to our season. Absolutely amazing performance, so happy right now.

Zak Hardaker brilliant individual try:

WastefulExaltedJabiru.gif
Gene Ormsby acrobatics vs Salford:

CapitalImpressionableHousefly.gif
Great run from Watkins and lovely passing to put Handley in for a try:

BetterIlliterateEthiopianwolf.gif

Really interested in what they do with Super Rugby. I hope it works.

In the Guinness Pro 12, Scarlets are playing Leinster tonight at 7.30pm which promises to be a good game. 1st vs 4th, both teams been playing good rugby this season so far.

You can watch it here - http://www.tg4.ie/en/live/home/ - at half 7 if you have a VPN (hola, zenmate etc,) and set it to Ireland. It's in Irish though.

It's also on BBC Wales but don't think there is an online option for that.

Always thought the CFL should just change and have a NFL team in Toronto and Vancouver and let the rest of the teams play what they originally did i.e. Rugby and hence you also have a international team that Canada can back.

lol wat...those two cities are full of fair weather fans...the CFL thrives in most of Canada...

Also you should see this try from the Challenge Cup. Absolutely sublime. Brilliantly worked move, some nice passing and a good finish too.

TightDimwittedGecko.gif

Quite a good game here between Leinster and Scarlets, if a bit scrappy. Leinster look good one minute then make a mistake the next. Only 1 point in it but Scarlets have been better...

Anyone excited for the Aussie afl player going to NRL? Signed to the panthers

Can't wait to see if they can cross over

Rim - you gonna be upset if Conor loses tomorrow or just going to be happy an Irishman made it that far?

The league transfers atm have been pretty whack

The Hopoate contract saga, lafai wanting out after he signed and signing to dragons.

McQueen to Titans and now Reynolds wants to leave and go to Titans also.

Rogers wanting to go to Brisbane even if it means a pay cut.

England vs New Zealand tomorrow in the 2nd test. Hoping the Kiwis play better for longer, their lack of experience in the halves really showed last week...they started great but when England came back they didn't have that leadership.

2.30pm GMT on BBC.

Elsalvadorrugby.jpg

El Salvador
South American Champions "C" 2014
Only started a national team in 2009.

Rim - you gonna be upset if Conor loses tomorrow or just going to be happy an Irishman made it that far?

Not sure to be honest, Jose's always been one if my favourite fighters but I am cheering for Conor. I think the fact he's talked so much shit in the build up makes it different too, so I kinda want to see him back it up as opposed to get mocked as a bullshitter.

The league transfers atm have been pretty whack

The Hopoate contract saga, lafai wanting out after he signed and signing to dragons.

McQueen to Titans and now Reynolds wants to leave and go to Titans also.

Rogers wanting to go to Brisbane even if it means a pay cut.

Yeah, Roberts one is interesting. Wonder where he will end up.

manlyseaeagle, you watching the England-Kiwi game?

Also you should see this try from the Challenge Cup. Absolutely sublime. Brilliantly worked move, some nice passing and a good finish too.

TightDimwittedGecko.gif

Excellent seen some good tries in the Euro comp and Aviva.

What does the "C" mean?

The lowest level of International competition in South America.
They have Division C, B, A and CONSUR. CONSUR is the highest, that's were Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay compete.

"30 OCTOBER 2015 - OSCAR ORELLANA-HYDER (REEVES 2002–07) TO PLAY RUGBY FOR EL SALVADOR
Oscar Orellana-Hyder (Reeves 2002–07) will be part of the El Salvador rugby team taking part in the Central American Rugby Championship in December.
Oscar, who plays for the OE Stags, qualifies to play for the team because his mother is from El Salvador.
He will be flying out on 29 November before the start of the tournament on 6 December.
The CAC consists of four teams: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala and Panama.
El Salvador ('Los Torogoces') are the defending champions in the tournament.
Oscar said that he couldn't wait to get started on what he expects will be a great experience."

http://www.eastbourniansociety.org/News-2015-10

News-2015-10-30-hyder-oscar.jpg

Wasn't a great game anyway, I'm the same as well haha. Good thing there is lots of club rugby back and the european cup is on soon.

I hope the other forum users who where on the World cup thread are going to pop in from time to time mate.

Yeah boring game and I'm normally a League fan first but just find Union with the world cup a better game.

Anyone excited for the Aussie afl player going to NRL? Signed to the panthers

Can't wait to see if they can cross over

Yeah I'm always interested in cross over players, excited to see how he does. He was borderline Olympic high jumper too, so obviously a great athlete.

I hope the other forum users who where on the World cup thread are going to pop in from time to time mate.

Yeah boring game and I'm normally a League fan first but just find Union with the world cup a better game.

Yes it has just been me talking to myself mostly haha

The lowest level of International competition in South America.
They have Division C, B, A and CONSUR. CONSUR is the highest, that's were Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay compete.

Cool.

I thought for second they had beat out Argentina and Uruguay. Argentina played really well this last cup. They're one of the best teams in the world. Easily the favorite for the first American Six Nations.

Yes it has just been me talking to myself mostly haha

Always found outside Combat Sports chat the sports forum is too much American Sports crap and if they look outside there bubble they wank on about English Soccer.

Cool.

I thought for second they had beat out Argentina and Uruguay. Argentina played really well this last cup. They're one of the best teams in the world. Easily the favorite for the first American Six Nations.

They doing a America's Six Nations?

It has been really hard to give too much of a crap about the League so soon after the RWC, but nice to see the series in the balance.

Yeah I'm always interested in cross over players, excited to see how he does. He was borderline Olympic high jumper too, so obviously a great athlete.

He is not a top AFL player and also played Rugby League as a kid....I want to see a top AFL player cross over to both Rugby's think Barry Hall and Buddy Franklin.

Always found outside Combat Sports chat the sports forum is too much American Sports crap and if they look outside there bubble they wank on about English Soccer.

Yeah, I don't mind american sports but wish there was a few more less insular fans...

He is not a top AFL player and also played Rugby League as a kid....I want to see a top AFL player cross over to both Rugby's think Barry Hall and Buddy Franklin.

Yeah Lance Franklin is class...not sure how translatable Aussie rules is to rugby though tbh. Izzy Folau didn't do much, and this guy, as you say, played league as a kid.

You looking forward to the International Rules series? It's gone a bit cold of late but seems to be a little bit of excitement for it again.

Irish squad was announced yesterday and it's fucking class...Aussie squad is strong as well. Was hoping that a few of the Irish AFL guys would play, particularly wanted to see Pearce Hanley like last year, but ah well.

Was watching Toulon there earlier, holy fuck they are scary to watch...and they still have even more star players to come. God help anyone that has to play them in Europe.

Was watching Toulon there earlier, holy fuck they are scary to watch...and they still have even more star players to come. God help anyone that has to play them in Europe.

Are they playing ball in hand Rugby or is it the dour 10 man wrestle and kicking game.

Why does fucking Sacramento get a team in this PRO Rugby League? SF, I can understand. World Class City and the Bay Area is probably the biggest rugby hotbed in this country (I don't know much about the Northeastern scene though.) Sacramento is just a crap city.

Are they playing ball in hand Rugby or is it the dour 10 man wrestle and kicking game.

Definitely ball in hand rugby, offloads everywhere.... Not sure how Montpelier are this season though, could be they are just terrible but I doubt it.

Why does fucking Sacramento get a team in this PRO Rugby League? SF, I can understand. World Class City and the Bay Area is probably the biggest rugby hotbed in this country (I don't know much about the Northeastern scene though.) Sacramento is just a crap city.

That doesn't sound good...I know fuck all about the US rugby scene, but I thought they were going to be working with and building on top of existing structures. Putting one somewhere there isn't much of an interest seems like a good way to fail (where the hell is Sacramento anyway, California?)

Quade Cooper played a brilliant game in his debut for Toulon as well, including this lovely no-look assist:

WhichAptArabianhorse.gif

That doesn't sound good...I know fuck all about the US rugby scene, but I thought they were going to be working with and building on top of existing structures. Putting one somewhere there isn't much of an interest seems like a good way to fail (where the hell is Sacramento anyway, California?)

About an hour and a half northeast of San Francisco.

One of my friends just told me that area has one of the largest Pacific Islander populations in the USA so that explains it.

In other news, looks like USA might finally get a professional competition.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/09/us-professional-rugby-union-league

US professional rugby union competition to begin play in April

Professional club rugby union is set to begin in the US in April 2016, with a competition sanctioned by USA Rugby and World Rugby. The league, announced in New York on Monday, will be contested by six city based men’s teams, employing mostly US-qualified players.

“Rugby is a natural fit for our country,” said Douglas Schoninger, a New York-based businessman with a background in stadium financing and chief executive of the Professional Rugby Organization (Pro Rugby). “Participation and interest in the sport is at an all-time high and the demand for a professional competition is clear.”

In Pro Rugby’s first iteration, to be played between April and July and accommodating the USA’s June Tests, teams will play 10 regular-season games each.

A Pro Rugby statement released on Monday said the six teams would be drawn from “major metropolitan areas in the north-east, the Rocky Mountains and California”.

The statement added: “Venues and coaches will be announced starting this week with playing rosters to follow”. Canada is scheduled to join in 2017. Broadcast plans and sponsors also remain to be announced.

Attempts to bring professional rugby to the US – and thereby raise the fortunes of a national team that lost all its games in the recent World Cup in England – have been made before.

Most recently, the Minnesota-based National Rugby Football League attempted to turn college and NFL football players into rugby players. That project has not reached the field of play: a planned exhibition game involving Leicester was cancelled after USA Rugby and World Rugby withheld sanction.

On Monday the chairman of USA Rugby, Bob Latham, said: “As the fastest growing team sport in the USA, it is the time to have a sanctioned professional competition … to inspire Americans to fall in love with rugby, and to show the rugby world what American players can do.”

Brett Gosper, chief executive of World Rugby, added: “We welcome North American teams into the international rugby family.”

Internationally, the new Americas Six Nations tournament, involving the USA, Canada, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile, is likely to be played in February and March.

The Pacific and American Premierships, run by top amateur clubs on either coast, currently provide the highest-quality US domestic rugby, the former from January to May, the latter from September to November and March to April.

Steve Lewis, formerly head coach of Old Blue of New York, has been named director of rugby operations at Pro Rugby. Each Pro Rugby team is expected to be centrally owned and managed and to have a centrally contracted squad, with quotas for overseas players and US Eagles internationals.

Schoninger said: “With the completion of the record-breaking 2015 Rugby World Cup in England, and the reintroduction of the sport into the 2016 Rio Olympics, now is the time to launch.”

On Friday, in a letter to American fans posted to Pro Rugby’s Facebook page, Schoninger described the ethos of his organisation.

“We intend to be collaborative,” he wrote, “and will include you, the rugby community, right from the start. As we all know, rugby is unique in sports, and particularly in American sports. We appreciate both the game and its core values and are mindful of our custodial responsibility in growing our game together.”

That's good news, hopefully it actually works out and we see the game grow over there.

Sacramento is the Capital of California. They might have more success their because they only have one professional team to compete with. The Sacramento Kings of the NBA.

sacramento_ca.gif

No yanks have any thoughts about the fact that yous will soon have a professional rugby competition? Interest? Bemusement?

arent they doing an english premiership match in the US on St. Patricks day next year?

Back