Ronda and Professional Boxing

Chinaboxer

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
"Rousey's coach Edmond Tarverdyan has insisted that she's already capable of competing with world champion boxers." - quote from the interview

"We've discussed it, and whenever she's ready to step into the ring as a boxer, then obviously Golden Boy Promotions will be right there with her." - Oscar De La Hoya

I don't blame Ronda as much as i do all the "yes men" that surround her. They create this false sense for her. It's all an illusion. I really hope that she finds better trainers and "no men" who can be straight up honest with her and help her become the well rounded MMA fighter that she deserves to be.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/oscar-de-la-hoya-wants-to-promote-ronda-rousey-as-a-boxer-110215

thats a good point...it's as if the hype got her fucked up into wanting to make a name against the world champion boxer by standing up and trying to throw with her and it quickly became a mess...

Rousey has some boxing skill, no doubt about it. In the short time she focused on striking her improvement has been in leaps in bounds. With that being said, she went up against a champion boxer. That is no small task, even for one with an undefeated streak such as hers.

She still has a chance to box professionally, but I wouldn't rank her just yet.

Rousey has some boxing skill, no doubt about it. In the short time she focused on striking her improvement has been in leaps in bounds. With that being said, she went up against a champion boxer. That is no small task, even for one with an undefeated streak such as hers.

She still has a chance to box professionally, but I wouldn't rank her just yet.

This is pretty much my thought on it. Media hyped Oscar and her coach's willingness to back her in professional boxing to mean she was ready to take on a boxing champ.

Her improvement is pretty staggering, she used to be unquestionably the worst striker in the entire organization. That said, I whole-heartedly disagree with Rogan's constant claim that elite level athletes can apply their dedication to become elite at anything they choose. He constantly says this about grapplers that are learning to strike (every time Maia fights).

I mean look at Michael Jordan. You can't just decide to be the best at something, it's not 100% mental and effort.

Ronda could box, but she'll never be at her judo level.

Rogan is just in love with her. He cried about her loss more than she did.

Her improvement is pretty staggering, she used to be unquestionably the worst striker in the entire organization. That said, I whole-heartedly disagree with Rogan's constant claim that elite level athletes can apply their dedication to become elite at anything they choose. He constantly says this about grapplers that are learning to strike (every time Maia fights).

I mean look at Michael Jordan. You can't just decide to be the best at something, it's not 100% mental and effort.

Ronda could box, but she'll never be at her judo level.

So who is the worst striker now? I would say it's still Ronda. She was legitimately throwing pawing strikes at Holly at one point. It was ugly.

Everyone keeps talking about how she got beat by a boxer, and she was lit up with punches, but she was finished with a headkick.

I don't think Ronda is the worst striker in the UFC at this point*. Nor was it her intention to box Holly, she just had no choice. Ronda done lost!

* It would be really hard to list the worst striker at this point. Ronda was clearly the worst because she had other skills to remain in the spotlight. The worst at this point is probably someone on Fightpass that I've never seen before.

Nor was it her intention to box Holly, she just had no choice. Ronda done lost!

This is correct. People with a grappling background can see that Ronda was doing everything in her power to make this a grappling match. The strikes were primarily to try to close the distance. It was Holly's grappling that allowed her to use her kickboxing prowess to win the fight.

I always love how whenever a striker wins a fight, it had to be due to grappling prowess. So I'm to believe that the ONLY thing that saved Holly Holm was that she developed the ability to out-grapple a lifelong judo player.

To be fair, it's far easier to defend in grappling than it is to attack. Holly learned some basic take down defense and survived several clinches because of it.

I know how to stop an ippon seoi nage, but my execution leaves something to be desired.

So what? People are making statements as if a single camp of training some aspects of grappling ARE what cancelled out the effectiveness of Ronda's judo, as opposed to say...I dunno, angles, footwork, management of distance, and 50 left hands to the grill.

What do you mean so what? Holly worked on defending in the clinch. Angles, footwork, and distance didn't save her when Ronda had her pinned against the cage.

Everyone knows Holly has good footwork, I don't know why you would ignore the work she put in on her grappling, specifically against Ronda's hip throws.

So what? People are making statements as if a single camp of training some aspects of grappling ARE what cancelled out the effectiveness of Ronda's judo, as opposed to say...I dunno, angles, footwork, management of distance, and 50 left hands to the grill.

Footwork and angles definitely won her the fight, as she would most likely not have been able to keep up a sustained grappling defense if she didn't have those skills. However she did have to use her grappling, and strenght, a few times in this fight as well.

It's not like this is the only camp where she has been working her defensive grappling. She's been with Winkeljohn and Jacksons since before her boxing debut and she's been a pro MMA fighter for 4 years now.

What cancelled Ronda trying to close the distance is the same thing that put her in danger that she was lucky enough to avoid in other fights. She just wades in, on a straight line, to get the clinch. She did it against Tate and just about everyone else she has fought.

Difference this time is one, Holm at least seems to have longer legs and in general is taller than a lot of the other people in the division, hard to properly judo throw someone that is bigger than you, especially with a hip toss, and second... instead of ALSO throwing hooks the way most MMA people do Holly Holm knows what a straight punch and lateral movement are.

It's actually easier to throw people that are taller than you. Most important thing in judo is having a lower center of gravity. You'll often see people take a knee to get the shoulder throw.

It's actually easier to throw people that are taller than you. Most important thing in judo is having a lower center of gravity. You'll often see people take a knee to get the shoulder throw.

I disagree. I understand the center of gravity argument and such but no matter how low the center is, on a straight hip toss if you can't completely get your back to your opponent practically they just have to keep stepping the same direction you are. Holly did that then got that body lock takedown in the first round.

What do you mean so what? Holly worked on defending in the clinch. Angles, footwork, and distance didn't save her when Ronda had her pinned against the cage.

Everyone knows Holly has good footwork, I don't know why you would ignore the work she put in on her grappling, specifically against Ronda's hip throws.

Now you're behaving like the grapplers are, I'm not ignoring that she worked on takedown defense, others are ignoring everything else she did including hitting Ronda in the mouth.

Footwork and angles definitely won her the fight, as she would most likely not have been able to keep up a sustained grappling defense if she didn't have those skills. However she did have to use her grappling, and strenght, a few times in this fight as well.

It's not like this is the only camp where she has been working her defensive grappling. She's been with Winkeljohn and Jacksons since before her boxing debut and she's been a pro MMA fighter for 4 years now.

It was an exaggeration to make a point. And just because she trained at Winklejohn's doesn't mean she's suddenly as good a grappler as Ronda, she's not, and it's disrespectful to Ronda to even suggest that GRAPPLING won Holm that fight. It's an ignorant notion that people who grapple primarily consistently use in MMA to make themselves feel better.

What cancelled Ronda trying to close the distance is the same thing that put her in danger that she was lucky enough to avoid in other fights. She just wades in, on a straight line, to get the clinch. She did it against Tate and just about everyone else she has fought.

Difference this time is one, Holm at least seems to have longer legs and in general is taller than a lot of the other people in the division, hard to properly judo throw someone that is bigger than you, especially with a hip toss, and second... instead of ALSO throwing hooks the way most MMA people do Holly Holm knows what a straight punch and lateral movement are.

She also had an outstanding camp in her corner.

Let's also remember Holm took Ronda down at one point, which was pretty great.

Now you're behaving like the grapplers are, I'm not ignoring that she worked on takedown defense, others are ignoring everything else she did including hitting Ronda in the mouth.

It was an exaggeration to make a point. And just because she trained at Winklejohn's doesn't mean she's suddenly as good a grappler as Ronda, she's not, and it's disrespectful to Ronda to even suggest that GRAPPLING won Holm that fight. It's an ignorant notion that people who grapple primarily consistently use in MMA to make themselves feel better.

Obviously it was Holms' elite striking that allowed her to dismantle Ronda. At the same time though, if she hadn't trained so hard in grappling she would have gotten tossed and lost by armbar. The Firas Zahabi video shows how much work she put in - her counter Judo was amazing.

Basically Holm was a more well-rounded and better mixed martial artist that night than Ronda.

Back