Your forum, your input

Sounds good to me -- everyone feel free to give your 2c at any time, input always appreciated

This is a good thing, it's the betting forum we always wanted :) and we can make it great

This is a good thing, it's the betting forum we always wanted :) and we can make it great

It's already improved a million times since 1 AM last night, lol. Those individual fight threads were making my eye twitch.

The Betting forum is cool with me, leave Oblivian's thread to him but in the stickies in this part of the forum and allow people to make separate threads on whatever they feel like discussing. Allow people to make NBA 2016 thread etc, but still be able to tip or post in the sticky thread that we're all used to. Go from there

The Betting forum is cool with me, leave Oblivian's thread to him but in the stickies in this part of the forum and allow people to make separate threads on whatever they feel like discussing. Allow people to make NBA 2016 thread etc, but still be able to tip or post in the sticky thread that we're all used to. Go from there

Well, EZ put together a pretty good setup just now, and I think his expertise is very useful here, because he's modded at other betting forums before.

As for sports betting, that does need to be in it's own thread. There's no reason for it to be mixed in with any of the fight related content. If guys then feel they want to sub-divide it by sport like NBA 2016, then feel free, but I don't see enough content yet to warrant the separation, imo. EZ's got a non-mma thread for sports bettors going, and we're going to host sports posts over there for now. If guys decide they want to break off into different sport-specific threads at any point, then that's cool too. I know EZ wants to do a tennis-specific thread during majors, which I think is a great idea.

can we get like one thread for finalized bets? discussion in the various threads and betslips/final bets in one dedicated thread?
So that if you want to tail someone you dont have to go through 20 threads?

nevermind my post. my browser hadn't updated so it still had all those individual threads

can we get like one thread for finalized bets? discussion in the various threads and betslips/final bets in one dedicated thread?

I think this would be a great idea. Would be useful on so many levels. For guys looking to tail, and also as a public way for the bettors to put their betting track record out there, and not have it buried and spread out through multiple events. A sort of "bettors log" exclusively for nothing but their finalized bets that they can continue to update.

I know I've been tailing EZ for years, and used to tail a few other guys, which became impossible to find after a while, short of going and searching through each guys individual post history.

This is a good idea, creating a section for MMA Betting - I was actually thinking about suggesting it. I see this getting put to good use soon. Betting tips etc.

Hey @EzFlyer just want to make sure I understand correctly...

As you have it setup now, the thread "futures" is for any fight in a event you haven't opened up yet? At what point do you open an event? Based on amount of open lines? Or how near we are to a date?

nevermind my post. my browser hadn't updated so it still had all those individual threads

I think this would be a great idea. Would be useful on so many levels. For guys looking to tail, and also as a public way for the bettors to put their betting track record out there, and not have it buried and spread out through multiple events. A sort of "bettors log" exclusively for nothing but their finalized bets that they can continue to update.

I know I've been tailing EZ for years, and used to tail a few other guys, which became impossible to find after a while, short of going and searching through each guys individual post history.

to be clear, you mean basically a second thread for each UFC, like I have on oddsbeast etc? one for JUST BETS and one for discussion? i'm good w/that if you guys are

in other words, a "talk is cheap" thread, haha. one where you put your $ where your mouth (fingers/keyboard) are

Hey @EzFlyer just want to make sure I understand correctly...

As you have it setup now, the thread "futures" is for any fight in a event you haven't opened up yet? At what point do you open an event? Based on amount of open lines? Or how near we are to a date?

probably going to do a month out or so. or beyond 2-3 ufc's away.

This is a good idea, creating a section for MMA Betting - I was actually thinking about suggesting it. I see this getting put to good use soon. Betting tips etc.
Thanks man, hope you find it of use.

On betting tips, or any kind of conversation involving betting theory, if anyone wants to write something up, I would like to put something together that we can have as a reference point, because there are always going to be people that need to learn even the basic stuff.

I've got some stuff I'm planing to writeup, hopefully later tonight. If anyone wants to chime in, have at it. EZ's already got a thread open on it.

to be clear, you mean basically a second thread for each UFC, like I have on oddsbeast etc? one for JUST BETS and one for discussion? i'm good w/that if you guys are

in other words, a "talk is cheap" thread, haha. one where you put your $ where your mouth (fingers/keyboard) are

I do think it could end up being a good idea, but for now, I think let's just stick with how you set it up. Too many changes at one time might end up confusing some people.

Lots of things covered by others. Positives and negatives to this. I disagree with your archaic comment in OP (all of the most popular forums offer a thread for particular discussion i.e. popular music forums with an NBA thread or specific artist discussion thread) but I can see how this structure is more resourceful.

It feels like more of a "community" environment when you only have one thread, and I liked that, so i'm glad to see a different structure today then having a thread for each fight when this launched. Either way as a true OG member of Sherdog you guys have my support and i'll stay optimistic about this new approach. Cheers!

Lots of things covered by others. Positives and negatives to this. I disagree with your archaic comment in OP (all of the most popular forums offer a thread for particular discussion i.e. popular music forums with an NBA thread or specific artist discussion thread) but I can see how this structure is more resourceful.

It feels like more of a "community" environment when you only have one thread, and I liked that, so i'm glad to see a different structure today then having a thread for each fight when this launched. Either way as a true OG member of Sherdog you guys have my support and i'll stay optimistic about this new approach. Cheers!

Thanks JB.

Yeah, the community feel has always been the nicest thing about talking with everyone in the betting threads.

On the individual fight threads, guys didn't like it, so it's gone. No harm no foul.

The way it is now, it's still staying with the large group thread theme, but minimally sub-categorized as little as possible, which for now is by event. I think it's a good layout, which you're going to find a lot of layouts very similar in other betting forums.

Thanks for the input.

yeah, my idea was meant when there was one thread for each fight, but would probably work with current setup as well.
Would be a lot easier to get updated on what people are actually betting without having to go through tons of pages

yeah, my idea was meant when there was one thread for each fight, but would probably work with current setup as well.
Would be a lot easier to get updated on what people are actually betting without having to go through tons of pages

we can def look at that.. maybe make a thread the day before an event, etc

So what was the point of doing this? I actually feel like what we had was doing well

So what was the point of doing this? I actually feel like what we had was doing well

-organizing things
-making it easier to find the info on the fights you want
-removing the need of any spoiler tags pretty much ever

anyone who wanted the old one thread thing still has it, nothing has changed really. we just have more options and there's no non-mma talk in it, etc

It's obviously not a permanent fix, but I'm glad to see things have been sorted out already. For what it's worth, I can care less whether we are in the heavies or in our separate betting forum. I do think our own separate place is cool though. Like I have already stated, I am in favor of one thread. However, I do think it would be useful to have separate threads, regarding other topics.

I do think there needs to be a separate thread that is stickied for newbies/betting "frequently asked questions". Similar to the thread that EZ opened named "betting questions", but with a more specific title like "betting frequently asked questions, betting FAQs, or betting for beginners" and a more detailed and descriptive first post.

Like I think someone else mentioned, maybe a solution for the people against the "one thread" scenario would be a separate thread where people post their MMA bets and that's it, BETS ONLY. I would be cool with that. Therefore, people who read the main thread just to see people's bets or a specific person's bets they like to tail, can easily access them in the "MMA Bets ONLY" thread. And if they want, they can also post their bets in the main thread as well.

I also think a separate thread for other sports could be useful. That would definitely make the main thread more readable/less cluttered. With that said, I will most likely not be checking that other sports thread out often and might miss out on valuable plays (Miss Universe (lol), CROW's boxing plays, an extremely confident play, etc). Therefore, maybe it can allowed to post non-MMA content in the main thread basically as a heads up or reminder, obviously with spoiler tags just as long as it is valuable information, not a common occurrence, and from a proven and reliable poster. No conversation should result from it in the main thread, though. Example: "Hey, CROW posted some boxing plays in the "Non-MMA betting" thread." or "Hey, Miss Universe is on tomorrow, and I posted a detailed breakdown in the "Non-MMA betting" thread." Obviously, people who post tips regularly on baseball, basketball, etc should stay in the "Non-MMA betting" thread. Nothing against them personally, but people will already know they are posting there. This paragraph might have been confusing, but I hope you guys understand what I was trying to say here.

This way, we will still have our one main betting thread, but it will be less cluttered, and there will also be other threads to check out only MMA bets and Non-MMA bets

I hope this post is appreciated because I rarely write posts this long lol

EDIT: I can care less either way, but like someone else mentioned maybe it would be a good idea to lock the main thread once an event starts, and open up a "LIVE" version of the same thread where we can continue our conversation. I can see benefits to that

Last edited:
Back