Ultimate 80's Memories Thread - Part 2 - The 80s Strikes Back

We used to get a bunch of girls and have hotel room parties. Someone would use a parents ccard, we would sneak in a keg, wine coolers and a boom box. So much fun

Link: Rediscover the 80s Poscast!

RD80s%2BPodcast.jpg

I've been watching all the Barbarian Brothers movies I can find. They're pretty goofy and the movies themselves obviously aren't oscar worthy, but dammit, most of them are enjoyable and have their goofy charm. I'm enjoying them.

1.jpg

Anyone seen or remember the movie "Monster squad" I use to love it as a kid

I've been watching all the Barbarian Brothers movies I can find. They're pretty goofy and the movies themselves obviously aren't oscar worthy, but dammit, most of them are enjoyable and have their goofy charm. I'm enjoying them.

1.jpg

I just watched "DC Cab" 2 weeks ago...

Looks like I'm going to have to fix this thread too, all jacked up.

What's wrong with it?
It was made pre-migration and all of the posts were mixed up time wise. I had to fix it so that they were all in order. A lot of threads that were made before the software charge had this happen after.

My contribution... Martha Quinn MTV VJ from the 80s, my first crush as a young lad

is

It was made pre-migration and all of the posts were mixed up time wise. I had to fix it so that they were all in order. A lot of threads that were made before the software charge had this happen after.

Sweet, thanks. I too noticed the posts were out of whack. The same thing is happening in the Film vs Film thread. Very annoying. I'll bump it. Thanks for fixing!

I saw so many awesome shows back in the eighties when tickets were twenty bucks.

The Cult, The Mission, The Cure, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Pogues (With Joe Strummer), Sisters of Mercy, to name a few.
Damn wish I could have seen the Smiths and Sisters of Mercy. Only seen the Cure and Echo, Oingo Boingo and Adam and the Ants. But went to mostly punk and metal/thrash shows.
TS, making me feel nostalgic and old now. By the way gonna go play with my transformers, G.I Joe figures, and my Voltron.

1980s in Film

The films of the 1980s covered many genres, with hybrids crossing between multiple genres. The trend strengthened towards creating ever-larger blockbuster films, which earned more in their opening weeks than any previous film, due in part to staging releases when audiences had little else to choose.

• Blockbusters - The decade started by continuing the blockbuster boom of the mid-1970s. The sequel to 1977's Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, opened in May, 1980 becoming the highest-grossing film of the year. The film is considered among the best of films of the decade (being the highest rated 1980s film on IMDb). It was followed by Return of the Jedi (1983) finishing the trio. It perfectly set the euphoric fantastical tone of many of the similar films to come. Superman II was released in Europe and Australia in late 1980 but not distributed in the United States until June 1981. Though now seen as campier over the original 1978 Superman, Superman II was received with a positive reaction. From the success of The Empire Strikes Back, creator George Lucas teamed up with director Steven Spielberg to create one of the most iconic characters in the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark starring Harrison Ford, who had also co-starred in The Empire Strikes Back. The story about an archaeologist and adventurer, Indiana Jones (Ford), hired by the U.S. government to go on a quest for the mystical lost Ark of the Covenant, created waves of interest in old 1930s style cliffhanger serials. It became the highest grossing film of 1981, leading to sequels all in the top-10 films of the decade. In 1982, Spielberg directed his family, fairy-tale science-fiction blockbuster E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, which shattered all records, earning 40% more than any Star-Wars film, and double or triple the renevue of 46 of the top 50 films.

• Thriller - The 1980s saw an immense amount of thriller films, many being of an erotic nature, including Fatal Attraction (1987) and Body Heat (1981). Perhaps one of the most influential examples of 80s thriller films was David Lynch's bizarre cult classic Blue Velvet (1986), which dealt with the underworld of a seemingly idyllic American suburbia, a subject which has spawned many inferior imitations well into the first decade of the 21st century and Stanley Kubrick's horror/thriller The Shining (1980). Outside of film, Michael Jackson was inspired by the genre to create the extremely successful album Thriller in 1983.

Something kind of funny.... before last night I'd never seen the Thriller music video before. I've heard the song many times, but never watched the vid. I don't know why it's taken so long, but for the first time ever, I watch it last night, and OH. MY. GOD...... it was amazing! I literally went to bed and couldn't stop humming the song, and I just couldn't get it out of my head. I've been thinking about it all day and am just blown away by how excellent it was. I would even call it life changing! I cannot gush enough about it. This easily takes the cake as my favorite music video of all time. It was marvelous! 10/10

Something kind of funny.... before last night I'd never seen the Thriller music video before. I've heard the song many times, but never watched the vid. I don't know why it's taken so long, but for the first time ever, I watch it last night, and OH. MY. GOD...... it was amazing! I literally went to bed and couldn't stop humming the song, and I just couldn't get it out of my head. I've been thinking about it all day and am just blown away by how excellent it was. I would even call it life changing! I cannot gush enough about it. This easily takes the cake as my favorite music video of all time. It was marvelous! 10/10

I still remember when the "Thriller" video premiered on MTV back in the 80's. It was a HUGE event... my whole family and all my friends and their family was glued in front of the TV... and the video didn't let us down.

Micheal Jackson was so BIG in the 80's... he was truly the KING of POP!

I still remember when the "Thriller" video premiered on MTV back in the 80's. It was a HUGE event... my whole family and all my friends and their family was glued in front of the TV... and the video didn't let us down.

Micheal Jackson was so BIG in the 80's... he was truly the KING of POP!

They just don't make them like they used to. I just watched the "Making of" special and you know if it was made today it'd be all bland and lifeless CGI and wouldn't have nearly the same affect.

Really makes you miss and appreciate the good old days.

Back