Jurassic Park (the movie) vs Jurassic Park (the book)

Lost World was so drastically different from the book it was sad. Book was damn good, movie crap.

Jurassic Park was a great movie, some changes from the book but still very good. Book was great though.

If the movie was strictly based off the book it would be rated R with all the killing and eating a dude alive after he was disemboweled by a raptor.

This would've not allowed all the kids to see it and it wouldn't have made so much money.

I loved the book and was a little disappointed with the movie adaptation.

JP still went pretty far for a PG-13 flick. You have animal killing, a severed arm, the lawyer getting devoured, smaller dinos getting eaten, "clever girl"...

It might not have been R-rated, but it still had some balls.

I like Billy and the Cloneasaurus better.

They're both ripoffs of Billy and the Cloneasaurus.

god that gif looks better than anything in Jurassic world and its over 20 years old.

I thought Jurassic World was pretty good, but the first film definitely has it trumped in nearly every way.

I actually am reading The Shining right now, and yeah, it's different. 50 pages in and we haven't even really made it to the hotel yet.

Yeah, so much more setup regarding their lives before the hotel. I enjoyed Jack's character development. And once they get to the way, there's so many story elements that aren't in the movie.

Yeah, so much more setup regarding their lives before the hotel. I enjoyed Jack's character development. And once they get to the way, there's so many story elements that aren't in the movie.

Did you ever see the Shining mini-series from the late 90s? I haven't yet, but my understanding is King wrote the screenplay for it and it sticks a lot closer to the book.

I thought Jurassic World was pretty good, but the first film definitely has it trumped in nearly every way.

A part of me dies when people defend that horse shit.

It flies in the face of everything that made JP great.

Jurassic World, along with the Force Awakens, is a PoS of the highest order, only covered in so many sprinkles and sugar-rich frosting that it goes down well enough for most people not to notice.

Jurassic World, along with the Force Awakens, is a PoS of the highest order, only covered in so many sprinkles and sugar-rich frosting that it goes down well enough for most people not to notice.

I welcome you as a brother!

giphy.gif

You must REALLY hate Lost World and JP III then. I felt Jurassic World was at least a partial return to form.

Why exactly do you dislike it so much?

Did you ever see the Shining mini-series from the late 90s? I haven't yet, but my understanding is King wrote the screenplay for it and it sticks a lot closer to the book.

No, didn't even realize there was one. That's cool. His stories are typically too lengthy for feature length movie. I'd like to see a partnership with Netflix or Amazon to see some of his books turned into series, without the limitations of the old 80s and 90s TV miniseries.

You must REALLY hate Lost World and JP III then. I felt Jurassic World was at least a partial return to form.

Why exactly do you dislike it so much?

Oh my god where do I begin?

Everything that was a major plot point in the movie.

- the raptors
- the new dinosaur t-rex/raptor mash up
- raptors on a t rex
- raptors having a bro moment with a t rex
- small things like jumping into a raptor cage and raising your palm stops a raptor from being a raptor
- the cartoon big fish in the pool was completely unrealistic.
- the plot was a rehash and not realistic at all. enough with the theme parks
- the rides in the theme parks were wtf
- i had no investment in any of the characters
- no real "life finds a way" message that was moving

This was a cheaply done, yet heavily marketed knock off to give audience that are craving godzilla movies...giant lizards that devour shit. It had zero substance and made it's money as a cheap 2 hour amusement ride with no replay value what so ever.

I didn't like either of the sequels but at least lost world had some cheap laughs from smart dialogue mostly from Malcolm throughout the film. But you are right, I hated both.

No, didn't even realize there was one. That's cool. His stories are typically too lengthy for feature length movie. I'd like to see a partnership with Netflix or Amazon to see some of his books turned into series, without the limitations of the old 80s and 90s TV miniseries.

Yeah, a lot of his stuff that was adapted for TV definitely suffers from the limitations of the time. One thing I remember specifically from several of his made-for-TV adaptations was REALLY shitty CGI. Just horrible.

As for the Shining, it also was made-for-TV but I've heard that, if you can keep from comparing it to the Kubrick film, it's not terrible. And like I said, it is King's approved adaptation.

Oh my god where do I begin?

Everything that was a major plot point in the movie.

- the raptors
- the new dinosaur t-rex/raptor mash up
- raptors on a t rex
- raptors having a bro moment with a t rex
- small things like jumping into a raptor cage and raising your palm stops a raptor from being a raptor
- the cartoon big fish in the pool was completely unrealistic.
- the plot was a rehash and not realistic at all. enough with the theme parks
- the rides in the theme parks were wtf
- i had no investment in any of the characters
- no real "life finds a way" message that was moving

This was a cheaply done, yet heavily marketed knock off to give audience that are craving godzilla movies...giant lizards that devour shit. It had zero substance and made it's money as a cheap 2 hour amusement ride with no replay value what so ever.

I didn't like either of the sequels but at least lost world had some cheap laughs from smart dialogue mostly from Malcolm throughout the film. But you are right, I hated both.

I see.

I can't say I had many of these specific issues. The raptors really worried me from the trailer but in the actual film I thought they were handled okay. You can train a dog . . . you can train a tiger . . . why not a raptor?

I also wasn't really bothered by the hybrid dinosaur. Some shit like that seems EXACTLY like what some scientists with that level of power and autonomy would come up with. Why not?

I thought Pratt was likable as usual and BDH was nice to look at. As for the kids, they were okay--the younger one especially I thought gave a good performance--but they definitely did not have the same level of personality as the kids from JP. I'll give you that.

All in all, if Jurassic Park is a 10, I think Jurassic World is still a solid 7.5. Not a great film. Not a classic. But still entertaining enough and better than the two sequels that came before it.

It's been so long since I read Jurassic Park, but I think that was the first book by Crichton I read before bringing on the rest of them. Both were good, as I think the CGI in the movie holds up even today. I can't remember the major discrepancies off the top of my head

Hard to say. I saw the movie as a wee lad and its one of my favorite movies of all time. I've also read the book and I enjoyed it a lot as well.

I understand why the movie was different and honestly I think it had to be that way. While the book is excellent I have to say there's not a lot that can top the jaw dropping effects of the movie. The scene where the Tyrannosaurus breaks out and fucks up the car is one of my all time favorite scenes ever, maybe my single favorite scene because of the nostalgia and how well the effects hold up. Its so near and dear to my heart I don't think I could ever enjoy the book as much despite how great it is in its own right.

I uderstand why many people might not have enjoyed that film. It was a bit of a hollow popcorn film tbh.

That said I had been waiting 14 years for a JP sequel ever since I walked out of JP 3 as a kid. I'm usually not the type to enjoy these sorts of films but given how near and dear the JP franchise is to me, yes even the shitty sequels, I fell hook, line, and sinker for JW. The fact that it had BDH, an actress I became a fan of after The Help and 50/50, in it looking as good as she ever has was gravy.

Back