UMA R-9 Headgear

Hopefully these aren't too small now. I used an app to collage them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 65
I cropped this image to remove the facesaver logo as this isn't a comparison review between brands so I thought it irrelevant. This is to give a look at the size as well as leather/color of the stock R-9

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 55
Hey fnf. First of all glad u like your headgear but your post is very confusing.

Your review is mainly negative but you praise it saying you would buy it again.

Im not nitpicking your review and i do tha k you for your contribution. So i dont want to come across as an attack. But rather can u clarify your positive recommendation? The negative comments are all fine even a great job with supporting pics.

But my main question is why do you support the headgear? Can u elaborate more on the fit? How did it far in sparring? How well did the padding hold up or perform? Is it easy to maintain? How did the low weight vs other headgears fair and why was it better?

Again good review or start but we as sherdog would like to know why you would buy this headgear again

Hey Strat
No worries I'll try to clarify. First originally I was going to order a custom R-9 since at the time UMA did not offer stock options. But all I wanted was a black logo less one then they stated they were coming out with stock ones at lower price point which was perfect for me.

I like to consider gear like I consider tools or guns(tools to me) meant for hard work. So I treated my initial review of a STOCK R-9 like I would a general deer shotgun, the function is number one cosmetic issues distant number two. With my comments on leather, smell, stitching, extra material since they do not interfere with function i.e. Vision weight, profile, padding which are all great So I would buy again. Others do not always share my opinions so I wanted to be thorough and rigorous of everything for the sake of others with differing judging criteria.

But had I purchased a custom R-9, I would have treated it like I would a heirloom quality gun with both demanding a premium everything should have equal weight and quality. And as such I would not recommend or be happy with a custom R-9 had it had the same issues as my stock one.

Last edited:
As for your "main questions" I thought I answered them, besides the sparring(which is obviously the best way to measure) since I've had it less than 1 week I'm not yet comfortable drawing conclusions on that yet but with the vision and profile it's a breath of fresh air vs my facesaver. As stated my review as Intial an "unboxing" as it where so an in depth padding review it is not.

For fit- it really melts into your face. It sits unbelievably close which is great. Once I was able to adjust correctly which for me took a while.

Weight- like your not even wearing it. Which should speak for its self.

Vision-very wide open not only side to side but top to bottom. Also almost like your not wearing it.

Padding- unless you are big bird in human form your nose is very safe! And your forehead is covered by what seems like 2in of padding. Like I said this head gear looks just as big as a face saver and seems to have just as thick padding but once it's on it's like it melts into your face

Last edited:
Same topic question i know companies like to put their logo on gear but im wondering if both you and uma would agree on a subdue logo meaning same logo type but all black in your case to match the headgear. Draw back is it would still be shiny but all black to include lettering. (Custom)

Or like title black an embossment of the logo

Same topic question i know companies like to put their logo on gear but im wondering if both you and uma would agree on a subdue logo meaning same logo type but all black in your case to match the headgear. Draw back is it would still be shiny but all black to include lettering. (Custom)

Or like title black an embossment of the logo
I think the embossing would look amazing.

While all black or an embossed logo would look better in my opinion and for my tastes. It's still a logo and if I went custom I'd go logo less all the way, just much cleaner looking to me. I'm thinking about just removing the stitching and taking the logo off like another member but I'm worried about the then exposed holes adversely affecting the integrity of the leather, especially right on the forehead.

It shouldnt effect the leather at all other than leaving holes. But you have to ensure you are careful popping the stitches loose

Just wanna give a shout out to UMA. They are awesome to work with. I got 16 ounce lace up gloves and headgear that I designed by taking a few headgears and gloves and putting them together. The actual gear came very close to the picture i had in my mind. I think we traded something like 58 emails to develop my gloves and headgear. There is a chemical smell when they're new and I'm not really sure why that is, maybe paint. I aired mine out for a bit. Everything is intact QC wise except for one of the gloves which has two mistakes. This would never prevent me from buying again (getting something made right now), but it is something to consider for the price, I do wish that was corrected somehow. The padding is my favorite part, feels very high quality (dense for my gloves) and I want to see how long these last. The leather is nice, and the screen prints are solid and for mine, pretty intricate. I would put the quality of these around R2C or TU and other companies in that range. To compare, I would say these are around the quality of my Death Adders, maybe slightly less and better in certain areas, but my fighting sports s2 aren't as nicely put together despite being awesome gloves. I love Pakistan/India made gear, as most gear that comes from there meets my expectation of looking nice, having good performance and longevity. I designed these gloves to last and I'm looking forward to breaking these in really well. I have a really awesome feeling that these are going to be awesome workhorse gloves.

Can we see the gears bro? Btw likes your post good solid points. Hopefully two reviews from you in the near future?

Can we see the gears bro? Btw likes your post good solid points. Hopefully two reviews from you in the near future?

I'm actually going to hold back from posting pics because i worked really hard on the designs and the graphics, so I'd rather keep them off sherdog.

I guess my experience is similar to FN's. Superb performance, made exactly as to your specs, but a few cosmetic issues I didn't expect since they were custom and took quite a while. I've only sparred a couple times with the gear and it was unreal,and performs as i intended them to when designing them. They took a few creative liberties which worked out amazingly, save for one minor thing. Like I said before, i think the best and most honest description would be something similar to a custom Triumph United glove.

Maybe blur the logo?

QMPCe22m.jpg

UMA is my favorite gear company at the moment.

Back