• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any Aikido in MMA?

Gilgamesh_astronaut

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Seems it would be effective, but I haven't heard of any fighters using Aikido, or even including it in their training.

If you haven't seen it used or mentioned odds are it doesn't work. Same reasons there are no Kung fu grand masters in MMA.

Last edited:
Well Seagul taught Anderson that kick, does that count?

Aikido seems like more of a philosophy than it is a martial art. It Would be be bad ass if Geese Howard came to the UFC and just double reppuken'd everyone

Modern day Aikido doesnt work.
However traditionally akido has some techniques that do work, however they are not exclusive to akido.
One technique is the arm drag, not exclusive to akido but traditionally is something thats tought in akido.
Its pretty much bullshit though

Ninjitsu will dominate the UFC one day. Believe it.

1458069476844_zps983cdgzl.jpg

once you see someone use a particular style with success
you begin to see others incorporate it into the octagon

the game evolves quickly

Aikido is not allowed in MMA because it is too deadly. It is all about using your opponent's size and strength against them, so a real big strong fighter like Lesnar would be effortlessly killed by a 135 Aikido master.

Does bum-fighting work? Yea, it may be MIXED Martial Arts but hey, in this day and age we might as well focus on a niche aspect...

I did Aikido for about 6 months, 20 years ago. I was no master, but I remember not being very impressed by it. Since this was before the UFC, it sounded impressive in theory.

Just ask a Diaz whats better small or large joint manipulation? Voila theres your answer.

The original stockton slap....

AboveTheLaw-14-b1tchslap-sg.gif

Imagine the body shots....

AboveTheLaw-19-punch-sg.gif

That's because MMA fighters only train in shit that works. Not crap like Aikido.

the thing is i wrestle,trained jiu jitsu muay thai and combat sambo. When i see a "gentle" art where two guys "cooperate" with each other with no resistanceand the whole philosophy is anti sparring,i cant really see what these guys are really gonna do when they get punched in the face,and have some teeth broken...buuuuuuut i would still take a class out of curiosity. There must be soemthing to it,even if its not applicable against someone who knows what they are doing. Gesse Howard uses it,it cant be all bad?!

I did Aikido for about 6 months, 20 years ago. I was no master, but I remember not being very impressed by it. Since this was before the UFC, it sounded impressive in theory.

UFC is older than 20 years. Established 1993

It's too deadly of a martial art. A fighter's head exploding on ppv or cable would be too much for the public to endure.

Back