Catch Wrestling United

What are the rates of these seminars going to be? It seems like Catch seminar prices are like the first Gracie Jiu Jitsu seminars, expensive as hell..

They are listed on the website for the seminars.

No, they aren't cheap but you have to take into account that you are paying for 3-days worth of training and for knowledge from not only me but from an American wrestling legend, Wade Schalles. In that context I think it's very reasonable.

www.pinandsubmit.com

Josh

I would say yes. He learned a lot of submission work, to my knowledge, from training with Funaki, Suzuki, and Shamrock and also from fighting in Pancrase and training those techniques and philosophies. He was very much a shootfighting influenced fighter in his time. He's a part of the Gotch derived lineage from Japan.

Josh

Thanks Josh. I've long been interested in catch wrestling, and have considered going to AMC but as a old noob with zero experienceI have yet to find my nerve to do so.

We are running another modern Catch Wrestling tournament May 7th at Brea HS in Brea CA.

If you're in the Southern Califronia area just someone who wants to compete in a Catch Wrestling environment come out to compete. Details are in the link below.

CCWA Tournament

I would say yes. He learned a lot of submission work, to my knowledge, from training with Funaki, Suzuki, and Shamrock and also from fighting in Pancrase and training those techniques and philosophies. He was very much a shootfighting influenced fighter in his time. He's a part of the Gotch derived lineage from Japan.

Josh
Nice to hear you say this, I've been saying this for years and catching flak for some reason. It's a very interesting lineage to me.

Last edited:
I think you are right, thanks.....I had never heard of him before.

9hnn1z.jpg

Take a look a friend and student - Harry Grech. Harry comes from a Judo and Catch Wrestling lineage and is one the best there is with the double wristlock in competition. He has been actively winning all over the world in grappling and will be name to look for.

Take a look a friend and student - Harry Grech. Harry comes from a Judo and Catch Wrestling lineage and is one the best there is with the double wristlock in competition. He has been actively winning all over the world in grappling and will be name to look for.

Wow, great story! Would be interesting to hear why he chose Catch over BJJ originally. Pretty impressive list of people he sought out!

It would be great if either the NCAA or the Olympics embraced a submission wrestling style. I imagine one would probably lead to other in any case.

UWW is probably closer to that mark than getting folkstyle here in the States to go back to its roots, but I feel like their grappling ruleset is basically just trying to be more like nogi bjj than any wrestling code. There simply has to be a victory condition through pin in some form (riding time would also be great).

I think something like freestyle judo would be close to ideal; you score a pin if you are past leg entanglements and hold his back down for 30~ seconds. If no pin or submission within regulation riding time points decides the winner of that round, with maybe three three minute rounds until finish or major decision.

You could refine it further to incorporate things like forceout points or bonus points for particularly advantageous positions (like leg rides, crucifix ride, leg knot, double cloverleaf [3:00-3:40], front head lock, or outside saddle/honeyhole/411/Texas cloverleaf) which are nice to haves, but that's the basic outline which I think would work well.

It would be great if either the NCAA or the Olympics embraced a submission wrestling style. I imagine one would probably lead to other in any case.

UWW is probably closer to that mark than getting folkstyle here in the States to go back to its roots, but I feel like their grappling ruleset is basically just trying to be more like nogi bjj than any wrestling code. There simply has to be a victory condition through pin in some form (riding time would also be great).

I think something like freestyle judo would be close to ideal; you score a pin if you are past leg entanglements and hold his back down for 30~ seconds. If no pin or submission within regulation riding time points decides the winner of that round, with maybe three three minute rounds until finish or major decision.

You could refine it further to incorporate things like forceout points or bonus points for particularly advantageous positions (like leg rides, crucifix ride, leg knot, double cloverleaf [3:00-3:40], front head lock, or outside saddle/honeyhole/411/Texas cloverleaf) which are nice to haves, but that's the basic outline which I think would work well.
30 second pin!!!!!!

30 second pin!!!!!!

Of course how amazing it sounds depends on how exactly you define 'pin'. As a given example judo has a 25 second pin (I just happen to think 3 is a nice round [not literally] number), and certainly you can point to many mma matches where a man got blanketed in side control for a whole round.

More specifically I was thinking something along the lines of tilt/back exposure for a 'technical' pin, which could be in addition to a three second pin if you can hold both shoulders down.

Last edited:
UWW Grappling is different than nogi bjj. It has a complete stand up wrestling ruleset with 2 points takedown and 3 points throw. You can't jump in close guard without -1 point. There is also a different scoring system on the ground.
Catch Wrestling and Combat Wrestling community could talk with the UWW Grappling committee and starting a partnership.

UWW Grappling is different than nogi bjj. It has a complete stand up wrestling ruleset with 2 points takedown and 3 points throw. You can't jump in close guard without -1 point. There is also a different scoring system on the ground.
Catch Wrestling and Combat Wrestling community could talk with the UWW Grappling committee and starting a partnership.

Pulling guard in UWW grappling count as takedown, so 2 point.

Takedown is anytime from standing the actiong goes on the ground with one athletes on top controlling for 3 seconds.

I think UWW grappling is a good mix, and core point is to be the most effective way of Grapple when you think of MMA.

the scoring is based on position and not action.

for example
You score side mount, not passing guard.
You score a reversal from bottom to top, not a sweep from guard

I think its great to actually score takedowns.

Positional scoring vs 'intentional' scoring is great.

If one guy is on top and another guy is on bottom, however it happens, and that guy gets points, that's great. Cuts out a lot of illogical bullshit in ibjjf rules.

But if you can't win by pin or submission, you can't really call it catch wrestling can you? Its right there in the title, catch wrestling. You could say its 'catch inspired', or you could say 'catch 'style' guys do well', but one should not try to cash in on a 'namebrand' when you're selling a different product. If you do want that name brand, you adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
I think its great to actually score takedowns.

Positional scoring vs 'intentional' scoring is great.

If one guy is on top and another guy is on bottom, however it happens, and that guy gets points, that's great. Cuts out a lot of illogical bullshit in ibjjf rules.

But if you can't win by pin or submission, you can't really call it catch wrestling can you? Its right there in the title, catch wrestling. You could say its 'catch inspired', or you could say 'catch 'style' guys do well', but one should not try to cash in on a 'namebrand' when you're selling a different product. If you do want that name brand, you adjust accordingly.

We are running what I call a "Modern, amateur catch wresling style" here in California. The idea was to stress the pin or submission but score in ways that we felt would push wrestlers towards being active for a finish and reduce stalling.

There is a general outline of the rules on the event page here:

We are running what I call a "Modern, amateur catch wresling style" here in California. The idea was to stress the pin or submission but score in ways that we felt would push wrestlers towards being active for a finish and reduce stalling.

There is a general outline of the rules on the event page here:

Do you have any video set suggestions? What do you think of Tony Cecchine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back