Guys with long hair.

Melkoroth

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Are there any guys with long hair who can provide me some tips against hair pulling/grabing in a street fight ?
How do you handle hair pull when in street fight ?
Hair grab can be very dangerous because of course your attacker has a control over you, but i have seen many street fighers with long hair so there has to be some kind of defence ?
Is long hair a big problem in a street fight ?
I am asking because im becoming very insecure about my hair being used against me and i dont want to cut it.

Are there any guys with long hair who can provide me some tips against hair pulling/grabing in a street fight ?
Hair grab can be very dangerous because of course your attacker has a control over you, but i have seen many street fighers with long hair so there has to be some kind of defence ?
I am asking because im becoming very insecure about my hair being used against me and i dont want to cut it.
Hair has gotta go dude. Unless you are a lover and not a fighter, which is probably better.

The risks of getting in a street fight is very low unless you seek it out. Depends on the area, but still. I wouldn't worry about it. But long hair is big weakness. Where the head go, the body follows, and it's very easy to control someone by the hair. Hurts like hell too.

I have semi long hair and it's terrible in sparring too because I'm just using a band that works for like 30 seconds.

Hair has gotta go dude. Unless you are a lover and not a fighter, which is probably better.

The risks of getting in a street fight is very low unless you seek it out. Depends on the area, but still. I wouldn't worry about it. But long hair is big weakness. Where the head go, the body follows, and it's very easy to control someone by the hair. Hurts like hell too.

I have semi long hair and it's terrible in sparring too because I'm just using a band that works for like 30 seconds.
Im intrested about how some long haired pros manage hair pulling in a fight.I know how to fight, last time i got into truble with two thugs and one of them grabed my hair but he was not able to control me but it hurted a bit, i would just like to learn some techniques that could change the situation.I heard that when someone pulls your hair he is leaving himself quite open so you can get a few strikes in.But still if he starts jerking your head around you can fall.

"Long haired pros" manage hair pulling by it being an illegal move, and thus not having to worry about it.

Tried a bunch of stuff when I had long hair, ended up cutting it, its the best option.

Of course long hair is a problem in a street fight. If someone wraps your hair up in their hand there isn't much you can do besides pull a knife and cut yourself free or stab the person. There is a reason grapplers want to control the head, and why Thai fighters want to control the head, even hockey players want to control the head. Cut your hair and stop worrying about it.

I am sporting a long hair and I am going to shave it all off soon. It's annoying when I hit pads, It gets in my way when I roll as well.
Plus it's such a hassle to maintain, after a long gym session at night I just want to take a quick shower and sleep. But with long hair you need to get that damn thing dry before you can take a snooze.

Just keep practicing fighting in the streets with long hair. You can also have a buddy grab your hair and rag doll you around to simulate a street fight. Needs to be near 100% intensity for this practice to work well though

For training, wear a bandana or just tie it up...

As far as street fighting goes... Just don't worry about it as long as its not getting in your way during training.

For training, wear a bandana or just tie it up...

As far as street fighting goes... Just don't worry about it as long as its not getting in your way during training.
Yes but many cowards pull hair during street fight. Im intrested about how big of a disantvantage long hair is. Is pulling really that effective ?

Yes but many cowards pull hair during street fight. Im intrested about how big of a disantvantage long hair is. Is pulling really that effective ?

Not if you already KO'd them or choked them out.

I used to have long hair but I kept it tied back most of the time.

I didn't worry about it too much though, because I was confident in my training and the fact that I'd probably punch someone in the face before they got to my hair.

Not if you already KO'd them or choked them out.

I used to have long hair but I kept it tied back most of the time.

I didn't worry about it too much though, because I was confident in my training and the fact that I'd probably punch someone in the face before they got to my hair.
I see you have some experience. But what would you do in a scenario when someone is already hoding your hair ? Would kicking to legs or body work ?

There are some grappling defences. Gracie University defence against hair grab. It's aimed at women, but, well you have long hair too. Go to 5:24 for a nice standing armbar defence against an out stretched arm. Waki Gatame is a very legit technique and you can easily break someones arm if you hit it with speed as you may wish to in a self-defence situation.

I see you have some experience. But what would you do in a scenario when someone is already hoding your hair ? Would kicking to legs or body work ?

That entirely depends on the situation... If they are holding your hair from the front, you could try to initiate a Thai clinch or a half Thai clinch and if you can force them into position then just knee/uppercut them into oblivion. Their hands will be busy holding onto your hair while you smash their face.

If they are holding you from behind then some Judo shit would probably be effective (Judo or GrecoRoman wrestling would probably be effective from the clinch as well, but I don't know much about those arts so I can't really speak on them.)

But if you know that a fight is about to happen, always hit them first.

Remember the KJ Noons/Diaz II fight? Remember what Noons was doing for 90% of the fight?

There are some grappling defences. Gracie University defence against hair grab. It's aimed at women, but, well you have long hair too. Go to 5:24 for a nice standing armbar defence against an out stretched arm. Waki Gatame is a very legit technique and you can easily break someones arm if you hit it with speed as you may wish to in a self-defence situation.
[yt]RcqS48phyAM[/yt]
That entirely depends on the situation... If they are holding your hair from the front, you could try to initiate a Thai clinch or a half Thai clinch and if you can force them into position then just knee/uppercut them into oblivion. Their hands will be busy holding onto your hair while you smash their face.

If they are holding you from behind then some Judo shit would probably be effective (Judo or GrecoRoman wrestling would probably be effective from the clinch as well, but I don't know much about those arts so I can't really speak on them.)

But if you know that a fight is about to happen, always hit them first.
Thank for tips.

Three things:

1. If someone grabs your hair, they are currently not punching you in the back of the head with that hand, nor are they choking you with it. Also, you pretty much know where their hand is. I consider all of these things to be good things. I hope somebody pulls my hair when they mean me harm.

2. If someone grabs your hair from behind to off-balance you, just bring your hips in close to them. You will no longer be off balance. They will be in no position to pull you off balance, and you will be in their face with two free hands while they have one. Their hair-grab will be worth nothing and they will abandon it. Better yet, maybe they hang on to it while you mash their face with your two free hands, or pull a double collar tie and show this person how a man grabs hold of somebody. While I'm on this topic, do you have any grappling or muay thai training? That's going to help you understand what I'm getting at here.

3. The one and only thing, in my opinion, that is a pure negative to having long hair is this: a knife. If someone has a knife and they want to stab me with it, my hair is one more handle by which they can get a hold of me, and I'd rather have fewer of those. That being said, having a hold of someone's hair is a pretty loose form of control, and the person whose hair is being grabbed still has a lot of freedom to move around, and I tend to be wearing clothes most of the time, so my hair is usually not the only grab-handle I happen to have attached to me.

I know plenty of competitive fighters with long hair. It doesn't seem to be a problem. If you're worried because you watch World Star videos and see girls get dragged around by their hair, ask yourself why you never see any dudes who seem to have training getting dragged around like that. I'm guessing it's not the disadvantage you seem to think it is. To all the previous posters who said they cut their's off, I can understand that. It takes a moment to tie it back and wash it after you train, maybe that time wasn't worth it for them. I like that my headgear doesn't shift around on my head when I'm sparring because my top-knot sticks through one of the openings and holds it in place.

You can always grow it back if you want to try it and change your mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back