Serious Movie Discussion XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I watched He Got Game. For once my review will be succinct.

so-beautiful.gif

So I was watching this with a friend for our weekly friday film marathons -- but he was like, nah, avarage movie, 5/10 film at best bruh! Then afterwards it was his turn to pick and he went with Chappie. And he was like "10/10 movie bruh! Best movie of the year, bruh! Fuking deep, bruh!" So, yeah, I need a new friend for my friday film marathons to watch movies with. Please send your applications to...

2cf7aa1a544af124cef8072a5f37394b.jpg

Today I watched He Got Game. For once my review will be succinct.

so-beautiful.gif

So I was watching this with a friend for our weekly friday film marathons -- but he was like, nah, avarage movie, 5/10 film at best bruh! Then afterwards it was his turn to pick and he went with Chappie. And he was like "10/10 movie bruh! Best movie of the year, bruh! Fuking deep, bruh!" So, yeah, I need a new friend for my friday film marathons to watch movies with. Please send your applications to...

2cf7aa1a544af124cef8072a5f37394b.jpg
Love He Got Game. Bit of an overlooked sports film, possibly my personal favorite basketball movie

@shadow_priest_x You take movies seriously, out of curiosity how come you never post in the Serious Movie Discussion? <{smellit?}>

Mmm, I think it's a combination of the fact that I never pay attention to sticky threads and the fact that the one time I walked up in here it just seemed like a bunch of chaos with multiple movies being talked about in a single thread.

I dunno, maybe I should give it another look.

Earlier I watched Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring. I really liked it, though at first I thought it was going to be a little boring...a wise master who raises a young boy (for example, you could see the boy tormenting the animals and the subsequent rope/rock lesson coming a mile away) but as the film went on I started to become much more interested. The boy leaves with a girl who he has fallen in love (breaking his vows), ignoring the advice of the master only for it to come true when he kills her out of passion (she was sleeping with other men). He then returns to the temple, full of anger and tries to kill himself until the master stops him (by beating him) and then puts him to practice carving calligraphy on the deck of the temple in order to attain peace. Then he is taken away by the police. Years later after he is released from prison, he returns to the temple and takes the place of the master (who is now dead). A woman brings her young child to him, in presumably the same way as he was brought to his master in the first place. It's an extremely simplistic plot, ) the seasons representing a different stage in life..which also corresponds to the Buddhist concept of samsara. The Buddhist philosophy in it was very much right on the chin, but I didn't have a problem with that, no point over complicating it and it was a very moving film. Visually it was very beautiful too.

747b068d4f015541bec16e90cb3e808d.jpg

Last night I watched a documentary Amongst White Clouds about Buddhist monks and ascetics, I found it extremely interesting...can't say much about it, but I highly recommend it.

Mmm, I think it's a combination of the fact that I never pay attention to sticky threads and the fact that the one time I walked up in here it just seemed like a bunch of chaos with multiple movies being talked about in a single thread.

I dunno, maybe I should give it another look.

It's a really good thread. Just don't expect to participate in every discussion. You can also say whatever you want, whenever you want. Most of my contributions are just posting random thoughts about what I've watched recently, and I'm probably the 'regular' (if you can even call me that) that contributes the least. I read a lot of what's posted though. A lot of good discussions happen in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back