UMA RT-41 14oz Glove Review

rmphilmacrac

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The UMA RT41s have had a long journey up until now. The goal was to make a pair of gloves capable of beating Winning and I think that goal was reached. For starters let me say these arent Winning clones, these are Winning inspired. UMA made changes as they saw fit in order to make a more protective/supportive glove.

Look

The RTs have been some of the most beautiful gloves I’ve ever used. Every RT has been just absolutely eye catching. These are some of my more simple ones but even so they're an amazing pair of gloves. I went with a teal and white color scheme for the first gloves with small details such as split color stitching. Blue stitching on white leather and white stitching on teal leather. The image on the back of the hand is also something i drew up years ago and got copyrighted. Very simple but UMA did an amazing job putting it on the gloves.

The other gloves are white and gold, i wanted the same color scheme that GGG has used.. Beautiful shiny gold leather with white. Split palm and thumb. Also a triple cuff instead of the usual double. Besides that though these gloves are identical when it comes to the foam.

The glove shape isnt slim, its more bulbous like the usual UMA gloves. Maybe its just me but they look a little big until you match them up with other gloves and realize they're a standard 14oz size which is perfect.

Quality/Construction/Padding

The quality is top notch, as expected from UMA. Theres no bad stitching or messed up leather. Everything is perfect and the glove feels like itll last me years and years. I have absolutely no complaints when it comes to these gloves.

The padding is like I said, inspired by Winning. I wanted a foam capable of beating Winnings, a foam that you could use on the bag and for sparring. Instead of the usual 3 layer style that Winning uses, UMA decided to go with 4 layers. Varying densities and foams cause these gloves to be soft enough for sparring and firm enough for bag work. Because of that these gloves are easily some of the most protective gloves I’ve ever used. No matter how hard I hit the bag my hands and wrists felt absolutely fine. Furthermore I wanted more EVA foam for the palm side so both the lace ups and the Velcros have about the same wrist support as something like a Tokushu. The RTs lock your wrist in place. Some of my sparring partners have also told me these are their, “favorite,” gloves to get hit by. Obviously punches still hurt like hell but when I get hit by them it just feels like more shock is absorbed.

Liner/Ventilation/Comfort/Thumb

The liner is very smooth the normal UMA liner, probably my second favorite liner behind Winning. I asked for vent holes on the palm and thumb because Winning lacks them and I think they're something that should be standard. The gloves stay pretty cool and I’ve had no issues with them getting hot.

The gloves are extremely comfortable. The hand compart feels similar to 14oz Winnings, maybe slightly bigger. I fit my hand in them perfectly even considering i normally use two wraps per hand. As I said the RT-41s are inspired by Winning so they also use a straight thumb but the angle of the thumb is a little different. Even so though the RTs are some of the most comfortable gloves out there.

Performance/Protection/Wrist Support

As I mentioned the 4 layer foam is without a doubt one of the most protective foams out there. The RTs can take any sort of punishment and hold up just fine. The purpose of Boxing gloves are to protect your hands and these serve that very purpose better than most. They most definitely arent punchers gloves so dont go in there thinking you'll be able to punch through the 4 layers and end up with sore knuckles, that isn't the point of the RTs.

The RTs are also some of the best sparring gloves out there as they protect both parties, both the user and the sparring partner. Due to the softer padding it feels like you arent being hit by a solid fist or a rock like other gloves. Instead it feels more like a pillow, like the foam absorbs the shock. Dont get me wrong though, a punch is still a punch and it WILL hurt but not as bad as other gloves.

Due to the extra EVA foam on the palm side, you can expect the best wrists support of any glove out there. As I said earlier these gloves can go toe to toe with Tokushus when it comes to wrist support. Whether i use my lace or my Velcros, my wrist feels locked in and stays straight.

Weight

I asked for 14oz and these gloves came in at 14.1oz for the right hand of the teal and 14.2 for the left. 14oz exactly for the right gold glove and 13.8oz for the left. No complaints when it comes to weight.

Cost

These gloves go for $130 plus shipping for custom and $90 plus shipping for stock. For those prices I think they're an absolute steal. I plan on ordering a couple more pairs and making these my standard gloves. The protection is incredible and the quality rivals the top brands in both stock and custom.

If you decide to go for custom, UMAs website had a custom gear builder. Its very simple, quick and easy to use. There are various sections such as piping, strap, cuff, etc and it allows you to choose what you want and then the color(s) accordingly. There are also sections where you can comment on to further make sure you get exactly what you want. Its a great little tool that UMA is consistently updating with different gear templates that makes the custom ordering experience that much better.

boxingcustom.com

[email protected]

Overall

The RT-41s are hands down one of the best gloves out there and extremely protective. The looks make them one of the most beautiful gloves I’ve ever owned. I highly recommend them for someone looking for protective gloves or just all purpose gloves in general. The guys at UMA are also some of my favorite to buy from because they provide excellent customer service. I have complete faith that you wont be disappointed if you decide to try out a pair of the RT-41s.

+Padding

+Construction

+Looks

+Quality

+Protection

+Thumb

+Wrist Support

+Price

+Liner

+Weight

-Bulbous

AfRLmHe.jpg

Ea14Myi.jpg

un1BQfW.jpg

f6GsVqg.jpg

zpUJH78.jpg

l3D1Neh.jpg

Nice! Do you mind taking photos of them next to your 14oz Winnings?

How long is shipping to to U.S. for stock?

Nice! Do you mind taking photos of them next to your 14oz Winnings?

How long is shipping to to U.S. for stock?
Ill take some pictures, not today though. Maybe ill update it later.

Shipping is quick man ive gotten my gear anywhere from 3-5 days.

Ill take some pictures, not today though. Maybe ill update it later.

Shipping is quick man ive gotten my gear anywhere from 3-5 days.

Thanks!

Oh, only 3-5 days even though your gloves are custom?

Let's say the shock absorption of Winning is a 10 out of 10... how would you rate the RT41, C17 2.0, and Sabas Supersoft 2.0?

Last edited:
Thanks!

Oh, only 3-5 days even though your gloves are custom?

Let's say the shock absorption of Winning is a 10 out of 10... how would you rate the RT41, C17 2.0, and Sabas Supersoft 2.0?

You asked for Shipping time man, you didnt ask how long i had to wait. I ask UMA when my gloves have shipped and they tell me something like, "we will ship them tomorrow." So from tomorrow it would be 3-5 days.

Due to my gear being custom though i have to wait 3-6 weeks for them to make them and THEN 3-5 days from the shipment date.

Does that make sense?

My facesaver was stock and i dont remember the exact amount of days but it took 3-5 days. All my custom gear took weeks to make but only 3-5 days to arrive from pakistan to NY.

For shock absorption these gloves are a 10, C17s are a 7 or 8 and Supersofts are an 8.5 maybe 9.

Edit: Changed the shock absorption rating

Last edited:
Received my 16oz black lace-up RT41s. I went two rounds on the bag with these bad boys. If one were to liken gloves to cars, these would probably be Cadillacs (don't ask me to explain this because I don't really know what I mean).

Easily one of the most comfortable gloves I've tried on. Firm wrist support. The hand compartment is just snug enough—not oppressive, but not loose. Thumb placement is maybe my favorite so far (usually my thumb is hitting the edge of the compartment). Extremely well-made. The padding is substantial, to say the least.

As rmphilmacrac has noted, the gloves are pretty bulbous. They are perhaps the fluffiest 16oz gloves I have put on. Whenever people talk about Winning gloves being pillows, my experience with the RT41s is what I imagine.

I've attached some photos so that all may admire the gloves.

I personally prefer responsesiveness to protection. On this basis alone, I can't say these are my favorite. Just being honest. They're a little too protective for my taste. Comparing these to R2C C17 2.0s and Sabas SSs (the latter of which I used immediately after trying the RT41s for two rounds), the RT41s definitely offer the most protection and shock absorption. Also, the padding on these gloves seem bouncier, and have the feel of durability. If comfort and protection are what you're after, I really don't know if you could do better than these. At the very least, these will provide a lot more protection and comfort than C17s and Sabas SS gloves.

That said, I will most likely unload these. If they look and sound desirable to you, please, let me know via PM... Act quickly, though, because I might change my mind and keep them.

TL;DR: If you want protective and super comfortable gloves, 100% get these. If you want responsive and slim gloves, look elsewhere; for you shan't find what you seek here...

They'd look a littler badder with black laces, but they came with white laces. They still look pretty good, though.

Behold, the gloves:
IMG_2065.jpg IMG_2066.jpgIMG_2067.jpgIMG_2068.jpg

Compare to Twins BGVL3, how puffy are the RT41 ? For me Twins are the pillow est if them all lol. Is the RT 41 padding similar in terms of shock absorption ?

Cant say man, i dont use Thai gloves. Sorry about that

No problem. They are really tempting. Just afraid the padding will be too soft. How would you say the firmness of the padding is ? Or similar to what brand of gloves ? Thanks.

No problem. They are really tempting. Just afraid the padding will be too soft. How would you say the firmness of the padding is ? Or similar to what brand of gloves ? Thanks.
Im not sure man i consider these originals haha. Maybe Winning with an extra layer? Haha Thicker Winnings? Because thats pretty much what they are.

Better protection than a Tokushu but with much nicer padding, good for sparring.

The Comfort and feel of a Winning with even more protection.

Im not sure man i consider these originals haha. Maybe Winning with an extra layer? Haha Thicker Winnings? Because thats pretty much what they are.
Better protection than a Tokushu but with much nicer padding, good for sparring.

BTW I hate you for making me want another pair of glove lol

How thick (cm) is the padding on a 16oz ?

Lol I was actually inquiring with UMA about a custom 16oz RT41. I was just curious and asked what can be done to increase the padding even more.

They said they could add a latex layer in the middle.

Knowing how durable latex is, and the nature of the RT41s already thick padding system, it would make for a damn pillowly durable glove. But I bet punch feedback would be near non existent.

Lol I was actually inquiring with UMA about a custom 16oz RT41. I was just curious and asked what can be done to increase the padding even more.

They said they could add a latex layer in the middle.

Knowing how durable latex is, and the nature of the RT41s already thick padding system, it would make for a damn pillowly durable glove. But I bet punch feedback would be near non existent.
I would think the padding would be sufficient as is. Would you add a layer for extra durability?

I'm really interested to hear about the 12oz. RT-41s that you ordered. And how they compare to the MS300s (I don't really know if they're comparable).

Back