What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

SammyPops

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Since @Zer has @thebluerider chained up in the basement and doing only god knows what to him, I'll champion this thread.

In this thread, we discuss what we are reading, makes requests, and generally talk sci-fi/fantasy novels.

I finished Fatherland, more an alternative history where the German won WW2, and a murder happens just before Hitler's 75th birthday. Solid book.

About 1/2 way through Critical Failures 3. Really, really fun books, where a group of Cavern and Creatures (basically dungeons and dragons) players get transferred by magic dice to the gaming world.

Thinking about Dragons of a Fallen Sun next. I enjoyed the dragonlance novels as a kid and never picked up this series. Anyone read it?

Oh, and if you have not read Altered Carbon- you suck. go read it and then and only then may you return.

89187.jpg

Odd but fun.

They made a movie out of Fatherland that was decent, but it was straight to video. I wouldn't mind seeing it done again with a more substantial budget.

Last edited:
Fiction

I'm halfway through Dan browns inferno. If I finish it by Wednesday I will be able to watch the movie in imax on Thursday.

Fantasy

Also I'm reading Harry Potter. I bought the set from Costco. I watched the movies but haven't yet read the books. I am halfway through the first one. I plan to finish the set in the coming weeks.

Sci Fi/ fantasy

I will then move on to game of thrones. And then by the time I finish that Stephen Kings newly released dark tower set from Amazon will arrive.

Currently reading The Stand by Stephen King. Has just entered the sci fi/ fantasy realm about 1/4 through the book.

I'm not reading right now as I'm writing a fantasy novel. Just did 26k last month and working on 50k this month.

Short horror stories with themes of atheism, anti-theism, evil etc. Intelligently and creatively written, graphic, shameless, and unapologetic. Worth reading if you aren't easily offended and appreciate polarizing topics or like stories that push the envelope.

51SWYu0%2BQHL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm not reading right now as I'm writing a fantasy novel. Just did 26k last month and working on 50k this month.
Similar to this. Writing a science fiction and currently at 52K. Really hoping to have it done (80K - 90K) by the end of November.

I'm reading the Ahsoka Tano Star Wars book. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through but I'm not impressed so far. They definitely should have gotten someone who has wrote Star Wars books before, like Timothy Zahn.

Finally getting into The Dresden Files. Heard lots of good things about the series. Enjoyed the first book, hopefully it stays enjoyable.

Also reading inferno. Fatherland sounds interesting might have to check that out. Was planning on switching to non fiction history for awhile after inferno. Mainly WW1 as i know very little about it currently

Currently reading The Stand by Stephen King. Has just entered the sci fi/ fantasy realm about 1/4 through the book.

I came to post that I am not really into fiction, but I am thinking about reading that again. I'm just about finished reading The Godfather after finally getting around to it after seeing the movie 100+ times. I read The Stand last summer and loved it. I miss it, I think I'm going to revisit it.

I hope you have the uncut version.

I came to post that I am not really into fiction, but I am thinking about reading that again. I'm just about finished reading The Godfather after finally getting around to it after seeing the movie 100+ times. I read The Stand last summer and loved it. I miss it, I think I'm going to revisit it.

I hope you have the uncut version.

How is The Godfather novel? It's one of the books that has eluded me over the years for some reason. I've read several Puzo books but never the big one.

How is The Godfather novel? It's one of the books that has eluded me over the years for some reason. I've read several Puzo books but never the big one.

It's great. It adds so much more to the story. I thought it may be boring to someone like me that is so familiar with the story. For one, you get to know a lot more about Johnny Fontane, he has his own section. Also it makes me really appreciate how beautifully the movie is acted and how well the screenplay was adapted. It's truly a masterpiece.

It's definitely a lot more sexually explicit.

Last edited:
On a bit of a more classical note...
I just finished reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov and The Time Machine by HG Wells

Next on the list is The Invisible Man by HG Wells

Fantasy

Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

Here's what I'm reading atm
jszt0919.jpg

Old mans war was great but the subsequent books in the series have not been as good and I'm about to give up on this one altogether, it reads like teen fiction.

I'm thinking of starting Rama II next, I read the first book and loved it but the negative reviews on the rest of the series have made me a little apprehensive.

I've never read a Stephen King book, where's a good place to start?

Back