What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

Just finished:

PZO8516_500.jpeg

About to start:

5199ACHqXxL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ive read a fuckton of fantasy but have never read Robin Hobb. Read her first 2 trilogies and am waiting on the next one to come in to my library. Refreshing after reading so many grimdarks. Also waiting on Joe Abercrombies Sharp Ends which is a short story book. Love that guy. Read The prince of nothing and Bakkers next 2 a few years ago but was drunk and don't really remember it at all. Gonna reread that next. Its the only popular series that I really don't know well

I just read Fatherland the other week and I loved it, would definitely recommend! Read The Deadzone by Stephen King recently too. My favourite of the books of his that I've read. It actually has a satisfying ending, which is rare for him.

How is The Godfather novel? It's one of the books that has eluded me over the years for some reason. I've read several Puzo books but never the big one.

It's worth a read though it has an pointless and utterly bizarre sub plot about a girl with an enormous vagina, which was understandably left out of the film version.

On the fantasy side, I'm reading the first book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series, Way of Kings.

I'm also reading The Shining.

Currently part way through R.A Salvatore's Hero.

for the love of god, please read The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach.

one of the best scifibooks i have ever read.

also, if you dare, go into Greg Egan's Schildt Ladder. bring your physics manual along though.

nice to visit this thread to get some hints on what to read next. but I'm surprised that so many people have only just read the stand,I've read 2 versions,the original realise thane unabridged version that was some fifteen hundred pages. if you want a good stephen king book,try firestarter,if you can find a copy,its a limited edition,also check out the running man,but its under richard bachman as the author.

Man you guys are reading some good stuff. I loved Mistborn, The Way of Kings, GoT, Kingkiller, Hero, Dresden Files, Prince of Nothing, basically every book I have seen in here I love!

Currently working on rereading Malazan Book of the Fallen. Just wrapping up Bonehunters which has been great.

Next up I am thinking of rereading Wheel of Time. First time through the series got stale after book 5 or 6. I have read though that it finishes strong with the help of Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordans passing. If anyone has finished it let me know!

I came to post that I am not really into fiction, but I am thinking about reading that again. I'm just about finished reading The Godfather after finally getting around to it after seeing the movie 100+ times. I read The Stand last summer and loved it. I miss it, I think I'm going to revisit it.

I hope you have the uncut version.

I do I made it a point to find it.

I haven't read for months, between work, school and other activities, but I've been frozen about midway through Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb, my favorite fantasy author.

I've never read a Stephen King book, where's a good place to start?

i think Different Seasons... it has 4 novellas including apt pupil and shawshank redemption
then Salem's Lot

It is really good, but VERY long

Man you guys are reading some good stuff. I loved Mistborn, The Way of Kings, GoT, Kingkiller, Hero, Dresden Files, Prince of Nothing, basically every book I have seen in here I love!

Currently working on rereading Malazan Book of the Fallen. Just wrapping up Bonehunters which has been great.

Next up I am thinking of rereading Wheel of Time. First time through the series got stale after book 5 or 6. I have read though that it finishes strong with the help of Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordans passing. If anyone has finished it let me know!

I've read the WoT twice, so I can say that I loved it, although it was more his brilliant and psychotic crafting of a world and a web of plots than his natural writing skills which make the series so epic.

Sanderson definitely brought a softer touch and a more polished voice of storytelling. Many of the characters which had seemed wooden and unlikable under Jordan suddenly burst into life with Brandon's writing.

The ending is a little meh... But the journey getting there was memorable.

Finished the first 2 books in the Red Rising trilogy. Working on #3. Pierce Brown is an outstanding writer.

51Sz0tsLGAL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished the Dark Tower series 2 weeks ago and am left with a crippling void I fear I'll never fill!

It's worth a read though it has an pointless and utterly bizarre sub plot about a girl with an enormous vagina, which was understandably left out of the film version.

I wondered where they were going with that. Apparently nowhere.

I've been reading the ''Gap Cycle'' by Donaldson and it's alright, I liked the first 2 books, the third is dragging on a bit too much (there are paraphernalia chapters about the world's lore, history etc that bore the shit outta me), but on the whole I have enjoyed the series.

I'm reading the Ahsoka Tano Star Wars book. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through but I'm not impressed so far. They definitely should have gotten someone who has wrote Star Wars books before, like Timothy Zahn.
I'm reading this also. About half way through, it's starting to pick up a bit now.

Other Star Wars books I would read a bit every day until I finished it. The Ahsoka book, I'll read a bit, then won't touch it for days. Just not grabbing my attention like the others

I'm not reading anything atm

I know my next book when I get round to it will be

004017.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back