Nintendo just can't compete at the top any more with consoles.

It has a 720p screen. 720.
It's 2008 tech.

They couldn't even be bothered making it 1080p, you know, like phones have been for the last 4 years.

720p Zelda for 2.5 hours for over $300

{<diva}

I'm gonna guess the ones that were the size of a football.

I actually liked those ones. They were unnecessarily gigantic, but they were comfy.

They were 100x better then the Asian version that came out after. I loved it.

The whole Skyrim thing is just embarrassing. Fallout would be interesting. Skyrim? A joke.

It's not even the specisl edition with mods and whatnot. Just a regular vanila version of a super old game. And people are still acting like it's a coup, just because they're getting something that can run it

I swear Nintendo diehards will except anything. Their online capabilities are literally DECADES behind the curve too.

I'm gonna guess the ones that were the size of a football.

I actually liked those ones. They were unnecessarily gigantic, but they were comfy.
Yeah I actually preferred the giant one for Halo.

i can't see myself buying a Switch. the wii was enough for me and even then i just hacked it and played retro games on it. i would have gotten a wii u to do the same thing but it's basically just the wii homebrew channel emulated so meh. Mario and Zelda aren't enough for me to buy a system, hell i'm staring at a 300 buck ps4 netflix player.

i can't see myself buying a Switch. the wii was enough for me and even then i just hacked it and played retro games on it. i would have gotten a wii u to do the same thing but it's basically just the wii homebrew channel emulated so meh. Mario and Zelda aren't enough for me to buy a system, hell i'm staring at a 300 buck ps4 netflix player.
That doesn't come with Netflix. Seriously.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/20/14339596/nintendo-switch-netflix-streaming

The company added that support for video-streaming services “is being considered for a future update.”

The Switch will launch as the only major gaming platform in the past two console generations without a Netflix app.

It's dumb, but who the fuck really needs a 14th thing in their house to play netflix on?
It's only a 720p screen, so it won't be better than an ipad or whatever, and you already have another console with the app on it connected to your tv.
On top of your phone, and the shitty client built into the TV OS, and just about every other piece of electronics. It's nice to have I guess, but I don't see why that would prevent anyone from getting the thing.
Either you want the exclusive games or you don't, that's what's gonna sink or swim this thing.

The Switch will launch as the only major gaming platform in the past two console generations without a Netflix app.

i have netflix on my phone and i can't get it on my brand new, fancy nintendo switch? ha. i may not play games on my ps4 but at least i can watch stuff on it. nintendo switch can kiss the south end of a north bound cabear.

edit- it just seems silly to not offer what people want, and to just pigeon them into limited stuff until maybe the future is really short sighted and basically they're making a wii u / 3ds hybrid.

It's dumb, but who the fuck really needs a 14th thing in their house to play netflix on?
It's only a 720p screen, so it won't be better than an ipad or whatever, and you already have another console with the app on it connected to your tv.
On top of your phone, and the shitty client built into the TV OS, and just about every other piece of electronics. It's nice to have I guess, but I don't see why that would prevent anyone from getting the thing.
Either you want the exclusive games or you don't, that's what's gonna sink or swim this thing.
For $667 (the price here plus controller plus game) that thing had better play whatever the fuck I want it to.

I would question the £280/$300 price for the base system if it can't even offer stuff a cheap ass phone can.

Why is it only 720p? Ridiculous.

The point is that it's just another strike against it. The console is running a bit high on the "it doesn't matter" excuses.

I think it does matter though. The portable screen is competing with other portable devices. If it can only do one tenth of what a phone can do, people are going to find it hard to justify using it all that much.

The point is that it's just another strike against it. The console is running a bit high on the "it doesn't matter" excuses.

I think it does matter though. The portable screen is competing with other portable devices. If it can only do one tenth of what a phone can do, people are going to find it hard to justify using it all that much.
It's not like they're gonna replace their fucking phone with the thing though, so why would having two devices to play netflix content on be a big thing? I'm not saying people won't feel like that, just that they are stupid for doing so.

It's not like they're gonna replace their fucking phone with the thing thoughso why would having two devices to play netflix content on be a big thing? I'm not saying people won't feel like that, just that they are stupid for doing so.

I'm just saying that it will be competing with similar devices that can do that, and ten million other things the Switch can't. It might not even be fair to compare them, but it's a reality the Switch faces. Same with it competing with Sony and MS. All I've heard about this thing, since it's more glaring issues have come to light, is that it's not in competition with anything, and that it's shortcomings "don't matter".

Not having video streaming services isn't a deal breaker, or anything, but it's just another strike against it, because the other systems offer it. The potential consumers of this thing, aren't going to all be gamers with other consoles that supports services like Netflix. It could be a factor to some. Probably few, but it all adds up. If you're looking at getting one console, there isn't much of an argument you can make for the Switch over the other two. If it was significantly cheaper like the Wii was, these issues wouldn't be so bad, but coming out at the same price tag is going to invite direct comparisons, and The Switch just doesn't stack up that well.

It has the same thing going for it as a primary console as it has as a secondary one. Nintendo games and portability, and that's about it.
I very seriously doubt anyone who was going to buy this thing for Zelda won't because it doesn't launch with media streaming.

Apparently you have to pay for the Nintendo App to be able to gamechat and use the friends features. WTF is Nintendo smoking?

It's a sad day today, I realised that Nintendo just can't compete with the other home consoles. They don't even try. They deliberately make consoles that are underpowered so they don't have to compete on an even playing field.

I grew up where they were the top dog battling it out with Sega from the master system through to the 32x and to a lesser extent Atari then later the Jaguar, Neo geo etc.

But since the N64 it's become obvious that they just can't compete on equal footing, and it's resulted in all these gimmicky things they keep coming up with.

The Switch is likely the nail in the coffin unfortunately, as they're too scared to try and compete at the top.
It's not Nintendo, It's the japanese video game industry (developpers) who are obsolete. The best japanese guys are picked by US companies and make great games. But the japanese teams are outdated.

Source : Check the current gen and former gen japanese non-imported games (outdated graphics and technology)

The only that that interests me about the Switch is the Zelda game, but it's not worth it to me to buy a console for one game.

Apparently you have to pay for the Nintendo App to be able to gamechat and use the friends features. WTF is Nintendo smoking?

Nintendo has been doing nickle and dime schemes like this since the 80s. Nothing new from them.

I grew up in the era of video games just coming into existence and have loved them since they started. But now I am all #xbox4life

My kids play on a Wii-U though. It has seemed to me that Nintendo has always marketed to children and never realized that they are missing out on the generation that saw them come to be.

Nintendo has been doing nickle and dime schemes like this since the 80s. Nothing new from them.

I agree, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Not only do they make the stupid decision of not having chat and friend management on console, but then they turn around and make you pay for the app that is necessary for that??? Cmon. At this point I wouldn't see them failing AGAIN. They absolutely deserve it.

Nintendo HAS to have a niche or they can't compete in the console market.

Compared to Sony and MS each as a whole, Nintendo is small fries.
The cost to build consoles is cheaper for MS and Sony.
Nintendo can't get the same deals on components, they don't have the same massive logistics infrastructure, and they can't afford to take a loss on each console to sell more software.

I think the switch looks awesome, I really want one and I had zero desire to ever get a wii u. I do however find it extremely concerning that Nintendo basically gave up on the Wii u years ago and shifted attention to the Switch and seemed like they wanted to learn from their mistakes... but yet at launch we're only gonna get 5 or so games?

Back