Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
The enthusiast range pricing will be between 200 to 350 dollars with clock speeds based 3.15 to 3.3 they will have a higher end model that will retail for around 500 dollars with 6 cores and a clock of 3.5 ghz. They will have a top of the line model that will compare to Intel highest end chip for consumer market for around 600 to 700 dollars. It will have a base clock of 3.3 ghz to 3.5 ghz and have 8 cores AMD claims that it can match the nearly double the price i7 extreme at 1,350 dollars. AMD is also working on a 16 core model for workstations that will retail for around 1,000 dollars. This will if it does deliver on the performance numbers give Intel a run for its money. Early tests of the new R490 put it slightly ahead of the the Nvidia 1080 but unlike Intel Nvidia seems more then willing to challenge AMD at all price points.

EDIT: Fun fact the new chips will look like 8 cores "4 cores real" from the operating system because they now support something similar to hyperthreading like Intel upto 32 cores for the 16 core monster.

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...art.at.200.to.launch.on.january.17/101728.htm

So no lower cost CPUs right off the bat? Strange move by AMD. Seeing as an good i5 and i3 chips from Intel are $190 and $115 respectively.

I'm really curious what they're going to come out for APU's. An A10-7870k @$100 will handle esports titles. It'll be interesting to see if they can slap a rx460 on a chip.

Last edited:
So no lower cost CPUs right off the bat? Strange move by AMD. Seeing as an good i5 and i3 chips from Intel are $190 and $115 respectively.
I think the reasoning is they are only interested in competing at mid to higher end with the Zen. According to them all the chips are going to match or exceed Intel chips at similar pricing levels.

I'm really curious what they're going to come out for APU's. An A10-7870k @$100 will handle esports titles. It'll be interesting to see if they can slap a rx460 on a chip.

They confirmed they are working on a 6 teraflop APU for higher level desktop gaming. It's going to contain a Summit Ridge equipped APU along with a Polaris GPU. It will have a dual core to quad core. Their goal is also to squeeze up to 8 cores into one for autonomous computing.

Autonomous computing goal is to come in over 8 to 12 teraflops.

The duel core could be headed to the upgraded XBOX. The new XBOX is rumored to support both HTC and Facebook VR headsets.

Last edited:
My mistake: Update TweekTown is reporting that AMD plans on putting out a 4 core to be priced at 150 dollars to dominate over the i3. Their ad is going to likely sound like this i7 level performance for i3 level pricing. I needed to correct my early story about pricing the top middle level CPU with 8 cores is going to be 500 dollars according to AMD and TweekTown. The 16 core monster is going to be priced at the same level as the 8 core Intel's high-end Core i7-5960X. The new chips are going to be produced by GlobalFoundries using their 14 nm process and I hear they could start low volume production of 10 nm CPU's before the end of 2017. Intel is having problems producing 10nm CPU's at their advance chip plant. It's possible that AMD could possibly leapfrog Intel by using Samsung 10nm fab.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55126/amds-new-zen-based-499-cpu-beats-intels-999/index.html

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what they come out with for a i3 competitor. The i3-7350k has been confirmed with a base close of 4.0ghz and a boost to 4.2ghz. Since it's unlocked 4.5 on air should be easily attainable.
24145254429l.jpg
\
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_i3_kaby_lake_7350k_cpu_benchmarks_have_leaked/2

No TDP info yet? If they could get within 50% of intel's performance/watt, that'd be nice.

Their Fury X was a let down. Let's see how this plays out.

It'll be interesting to see what they come out with for a i3 competitor. The i3-7350k has been confirmed with a base close of 4.0ghz and a boost to 4.2ghz. Since it's unlocked 4.5 on air should be easily attainable.
24145254429l.jpg
\
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_i3_kaby_lake_7350k_cpu_benchmarks_have_leaked/2
I heard about this news it looks like Intel is responding to the threat of the new AMD by putting out a 4.0 ghz overclockable chip. I would say based on this news i3 should retain the title at least on many single core tests and possibly a few multi-core tests. But Intel unless planning on adding more cache and higher clock on the i5 replacement could be hurting i5 sales. Of course i5 does support 4 cores something that i3 does not and the new AMD Zen for 150 also supports 4 cores. It should be better for gaming at least on paper lets hope it lives up to early hype.

Their Fury X was a let down. Let's see how this plays out.

AMD had already started to downplay the performance of the Fury X even before the release of the GPU. AMD was really running to come out with HBM memory before Nvidia little did they know that Nvidia's 1080 and 1070 was going to rumble over the HBM stuff. HBM 2 should fix the short comings of HBM 1 and give the Fury X replacement a sizable performance boost.

Chinese board manufacturer stated they have their hands on a ZEN chip clocked at 4.2 ghz. They did with liquid cooling 5 ghz was easily achieved. It looks like AMD is willing out of the gate to run their chips at 4 ghz.

Updated news about ZEN it looks like it will support Windows 7. First it was rumored that AMD was dropping support for all Windows operating system except for Windows 10 now Windows 7 looks to be supported.

Here are the Model range:

• R7 1800X: 8 cores, 16 threads
  • R7 Pro 1800: 8 cores, 16 threads
  • R7 1700X: 8 cores, 16 threads
  • R7 1700: 8 cores, 16 threads
  • R7 Pro 1700: 8 cores, 16 threads
According to the leak, these processors will range in clockspeed from 3GHz to 3.6GHz, or thereabouts. The Core R7 1800X is said to compete with Intel's Core i7-6900K. The R7 1700X will be competitive with Intel's Core i7-7700K and 6800K processors, while the R7 1700 is listed as being comparable to Intel's Core i7-7700.
  • R5 1600X: 6 cores, 12 threads
  • R5 Pro 1600: 6 cores, 12 threads
  • R5 1500: 6 cores, 12 threads
  • R5 Pro 1500: 6 cores, 12 threads
  • R5 1400X: 4 cores, 8 threads
  • R5 Pro 1400: 4 cores, 8 threads
  • R5 1300: 4 cores, 8 threads
  • R5 Pro 1300: 4 cores, 8 threads
The R5 family will include both six-core and quad-core processors, both clocked at around 3.2GHz to 3.5GHz. Intel's Core i5-6700K, Core i5-7600, and Core i5-7500 will be the competitive models to the top three R5 Ryzen CPUs, while the R5 1400X will compete with Intel's Core i5-7400.
  • R3 1200X: 4 cores, 4 threads
  • R3 Pro 1200: 4 cores, 4 threads
  • R3 1100: 4 cores, 4 threads
  • R3 Pro 1100: 4 cores, 4 threads
So no duel core models but hyper like threading is dropped for the lowest end models.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/b.marf...ews/amd-ryzen-processor-lineup-leaked-17-skus

Last edited:
Agree with this about naming convention.

"Oddly enough, the leaked list has AMD using model numbers that are similar to itsGPU lineup, which could get confusing for consumers. All 17 CPUs have unlocked multipliers as well, which at least is something that is consistent with what we've heard and reported on previously. "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/b.marf...ews/amd-ryzen-processor-lineup-leaked-17-skus
They really fucked up with the numbering if that's real.
I'm guessing the X will be unlocked and have hyper threading, pro will be unlocked, and regular will have hyper threading.

There was an interesting admittance that AMD could have gone under after 2009. Papermaster who is head of engineering talked about how Wall Street made a big bet on AMD.

He said AMD had reached the end of the line but Wall Street likes competition. They largely kept alive by Wall Street dumping huge sums of money keeping them operating.

He said the real turnaround started to happen in 2011 and making in 2012 Lisa T. Su CEO brought a dramatic change and business focus.

Before Lisa took the top job there was too many projects she trimmed dramatically the number of projects and put accountability top of list.

She then went and met with leaders from major AMD business partners for ideas. Papermaster talked about a brain drain a number of engineers became worried about AMD future.

Papermaster said another big gamble was getting Jim Keller back to the company. Jim was responsible for K6 design that made AMD huge money and a 23 percent share in X86 business.

He said he was important in a lot of ways getting other top people to come to work at AMD. Jim got a pretty big stake in the company to come back so AMD put pretty much their future in the hands of Jim.

There was an interesting admittance that AMD could have gone under after 2009. Papermaster who is head of engineering talked about how Wall Street made a big bet on AMD.

He said AMD had reached the end of the line but Wall Street likes competition. They largely kept alive by Wall Street dumping huge sums of money keeping them operating.

He said the real turnaround started to happen in 2011 and making in 2012 Lisa T. Su CEO brought a dramatic change and business focus.

Before Lisa took the top job there was too many projects she trimmed dramatically the number of projects and put accountability top of list.

She then went and met with leaders from major AMD business partners for ideas. Papermaster talked about a brain drain a number of engineers became worried about AMD future.

Papermaster said another big gamble was getting Jim Keller back to the company. Jim was responsible for K6 design that made AMD huge money and a 23 percent share in X86 business.

He said he was important in a lot of ways getting other top people to come to work at AMD. Jim got a pretty big stake in the company to come back so AMD put pretty much their future in the hands of Jim.
He left the company again and he's working for Tesla iirc.

He left the company again and he's working for Tesla iirc.
Yeah his job was done he does not stay at the company's. His a hired gun who turns companies around or to fill a massive skills gap. He was never planning on staying. He got fame developing the digital alpha chip. He makes many millions as a high powered consultant.

Yeah his job was done he does not stay at the company's. His a hired gun who turns companies around or to fill a massive skills gap. He was never planning on staying. He got fame developing the digital alpha chip. He makes many millions as a high powered consultant.
I think you understand everyone's concern. If they required his skills to make a new chip, what are they going to do for the next gen? Are they just going to keep piling on more cores like last time? I remember reading the AM4 socket is supposed to be around until 2020 or 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.