Old School - all wrestling until 1994 - includes WWF, NWA, Stampede, AAA, etc

Stampede wrestling got me into it and I was an excluve fan for while when I was a kid. Prefered the low budget for some reason but soon got on the wwf bandwagon and never watched stampede again.

Blackjack mulligan was/is a big sumbitch.

Growing up in Texas my outside family (cousins, etc) loved Kerry Von Erich. Although seemingly unreliable, it didnt matter - they were huge in that territory. Wonder what would have happened had he joined WWF earlier (early-mid 80s)

'92 was the best year in wrestling history, Flair winning the Rumble and the crowning of the real worlds champion.

2i8iqhk.jpg

Blackjack mulligan was/is a big sumbitch.

Growing up in Texas my outside family (cousins, etc) loved Kerry Von Erich. Although seemingly unreliable, it didnt matter - they were huge in that territory. Wonder what would have happened had he joined WWF earlier (early-mid 80s)

He wouldve partied even harder, got in even more trouble without his fathers connections to protect him, and spiraled downward even faster

He wouldve partied even harder, got in even more trouble without his fathers connections to protect him, and spiraled downward even faster

Yeah, most likely would have been the scenario. He was what, 23-24 at the time he beat Flair for the NWA Title in '84? I just wonder what Vince's plans would have been if he got the Texas Tornado during that time. He got pushed pretty well when he finally joined in the early 90's - but obviously drugs, not reliable etc... kept happening.

[YT]BYcA83NkEUo[/YT]

Nick Bockwinkel was great.

Up to Jerry Lawler winning the AWA World Title in the 88 Memphis viewing. Lawler overall is under-rated as in-ring worker during his prime he has awesome ring awareness and made every move matter.

For 86 it's a Southern Heavyweight tournament between Rip Rogers, Dutch Mantell, Buddy Landell and Bill Dundee while Jerry Lawler is fueding with the MOD squad. Awesome viewing overall, if anything I watch more Memphis than of the current product today. Simple, effective, and logical story-line progression and character development mixed with in-ring action.

[YT]mbB7L-MANG0[/YT]

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/best-eddie-gilbert-volume-one/

The Best of Eddie Gilbert - Volume One includes his TV debut in the late 70's, his violent feud with Tommy Rich, the Concession stand brawl, Gilbert's famous WWF angle with the Masked Superstar, Wrestling a fan in Continental, tons of promos, and of course a heavy dose of the never ending Jerry Lawler vs. Gilbert feud that raged in Memphis for 10 years.

Don't know if you meant THAT old school, when you said old-school, but Thesz was so ahead of his time, I'd say he makes the cut.

I forgot about this thread.

Just today I was thinking about the program with DiBiase offering to buy the WWF championship from Hogan for a million dollars. And Hogan did an interview with Mean Gene, I think, (one of those interviews they used to do on the stage that was set off from the entranceway toward the back of the crowd on the floor, instead of the ring). Hogan gave all the reasons why he should do it and how it would help so many little Hulkamaniacs in need and then ended with his answer of " **long dramatic pause** HELL NO!!!!!!!!"

I marked out so hard for that. I'll try to find the video.

So I'm listening to this wrestling show on Youtube where the host is answering a question about whether it's true that the Ultimate Warrior was going to put Bret Hart over via the sharpshooter at Royal Rumble 93, as Bret claims Vince promised him. Of course, Warrior got fired before Survivor Series 92. The host responds by saying he highly doubts the Warrior would do a job like that. The only way he thinks Warrior would have lost was in an empty arena with no cameras filming, by count-out. I'm still laughing.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/eddiegilbertvol2/

A look at some more of Eddie Gilbert's best matches and angles as we dive into Memphis for a bloodbath with Tommy Rich and Jackie Fargo, then we head to Philly for an all over the place brawl with Cactus Jack. Gilbert gets personal in Smoky Mountain Wrestling as he mocks Ricky Morton's family, which leads to the debut of the Unibomb. We return to Memphis for Doug Gilbert's infamous shoot on Jerry Lawler. Dennis Coraluzzo brings in Gilbert for a battle with Road Warrior Hawk - and we close with Gilbert's chicanery from his run in Global wrestling.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/roadwarriorsinajpw/

The Road Warriors come to Japan and face the biggest names of the time as Jumbo Tsuruta, Tenryu, Giant Baba, Terry and Dory Funk, Killer Khan, “Animal” Hamaguchi and others match up with the young power houses. Many piledrivers are no sold, and many veterans are smashed along the way.

70s and 80s NWA, and Australian WCW(thanks to my dad) are my favourite to watch and read about. Unfortunately I didn't grow up with them.

I discovered wrestling in early 96. I was lucky to experience the nWo and Attitude stuff firsthand, but quickly fell out of love around the time The Rock became the biggest. God, I hated him so much!

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/eddiegilbertvol3/

The final installment of the "Best of Eddie Gilbert" collection sees Gilbert in the Mid-South, building a stable with Missy Hyatt while her charge John Tatum finds himself left in the cold. We see Gilbert and company competing with Terry Taylor, The Fantastics, and The Missing Link. We next take a look at Gilbert's attempts to give a portrait of himself to a lucky fan, leading to a goofy blow off. Then comes Gilbert's alliance with Communists, leading to an epic angle with Bill Watts and the Russian flag. Dr. Death, Ted Dibiase and others all play a role. We close with the Freebirds picking a fight with "Cowboy" Bill Watts. I've added as many videos as possible so you can enjoy the journey along the way.

Also, the ONLY reason I know who Orlando Wilson is is because his fishing show came on right before the Power Hour Saturday morning on TBS.

3:05 pm out here
I hate fishing but damned if I didnt watch Fishing With Roland Martin/Orlando Wilson every week just so my sister wouldnt have the tv when rasslin started lol

HA! didnt even see your fishing post before I wrote mine

To this day, I still use the phrase "a real beauty fish" based on this Brian Regan bit from 1992:

(fishing show jokes are the first bit of this clip - bit about the writing starts around 1:23, I have the vid timestamped there)

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/njpwclassics33/

"New Japan Classics 33" featuring Antonio Inoki facing off with Abdullah the Butcher, the Masked Superstar and Bad News Allen. WWF Junior Heavyweight champion Tatsumi Fujinami collides with NWA Junior Heavyweight champion Les Thornton, plus Tiger Mask clashes with one of Mexico's top luchadores, Roland Boch and more!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back