2017 Green Bay Packers thread. Do we have a defense? Hell no

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another season where we need to improve the defense and find some luck to avoid injuries.

That's what I'm afraid of. I wonder if they have considered switching some people around. Could Janis play defense? At least he has some speed.
I read that it sounds like Matthews will be working inside a lot more than he did last year.

I don't necessarily want them to spend out the ass but I want them to at least have meetings with some of the defensive guys available... *cough*Barwin*cough*

I get not going after DBs this free agency. With the amount in the draft to over spend on that is a bit ridiculous. That said, thought I doubt trust them, I feel like Randall, Rollins (not Gunter) would not look nearly as bad if they had a good pass rush.

I will go out on a limb and say our corner back situation will be surprisingly good in 2017. I know you can't go anywhere but up after last season, but with solid help from the return of House, better health for Randall and Rollins, and Gunter not having to be our #1, I really think the secondary can at the least look how it did in 2015. And if we somehow draft a stud corner who can make some sort of an impact in his first year, or a Dorleant/Hawkins type takes a significant leap in their second year, then that can only bolster the secondary even further.

My biggest concern is actually the pass rush. Clay has to be moved inside, or at the very least be moved around more so he can actually be effective. Now that leaves just Nick Perry rushing the passer. Ted has to sign someone that can help or we have to literally pray that he lands a superstar pass rusher in the draft. Lowry and Fackrell won't be nearly enough to make an impact in 2017.

I will go out on a limb and say our corner back situation will be surprisingly good in 2017. I know you can't go anywhere but up after last season, but with solid help from the return of House, better health for Randall and Rollins, and Gunter not having to be our #1, I really think the secondary can at the least look how it did in 2015. And if we somehow draft a stud corner who can make some sort of an impact in his first year, or a Dorleant/Hawkins type takes a significant leap in their second year, then that can only bolster the secondary even further.

My biggest concern is actually the pass rush. Clay has to be moved inside, or at the very least be moved around more so he can actually be effective. Now that leaves just Nick Perry rushing the passer. Ted has to sign someone that can help or we have to literally pray that he lands a superstar pass rusher in the draft. Lowry and Fackrell won't be nearly enough to make an impact in 2017.
We still have Daniels inside on the line don't we?

Yeah, and hopefully Kenny Clark takes a leap too.

This defense can suck a dick. As I noted early in the year, I just don't have confidence in the front seven...and I no longer have faith in the secondary. Neither Martinez or Ryan are pass rushers, nor can they cover. Liked them against the run at times, but that's it....Perry's had one good year, Clay is a shell, Peppers is gone.

I would seriously consider a 4-3, but there's very little personnel to support that scheme.

This defense can suck a dick. As I noted early in the year, I just don't have confidence in the front seven...and I no longer have faith in the secondary. Neither Martinez or Ryan are pass rushers, nor can they cover. Liked them against the run at times, but that's it....Perry's had one good year, Clay is a shell, Peppers is gone.

I would seriously consider a 4-3, but there's very little personnel to support that scheme.
I'd consider a firing of Capers before giving up on the guys out there. Our two safeties are awesome, I feel like when Martinez and Ryan were out there we were good at stopping runs (no team is going to stop the run every time though). Our problem I have felt is when Matthews is healthy and out there he was basically the only guy... Perry was hurt and in/out most of last year and Peppers though he was a presence is 100% a shell of his former self.

In a perfect world I'd see TT sign Barwin to a 1 year deal and then grab TJ Watt (if available) and another pass rusher with our first two picks.

Is Reggie White a free agent?

Is Reggie White a free agent?
Can we clone White, Green, Woodson, and this guy? Please

I have a friend up here in WA that has a GB Al Harris jersey.. he still gets dirty looks from guys in Seattle from time to time.

Can we clone White, Green, Woodson, and this guy? Please

I have a friend up here in WA that has a GB Al Harris jersey.. he still gets dirty looks from guys in Seattle from time to time.

Maybe bring in Nathan Poole as WR coach

Welp, Barwin is no longer available. Rams snagged him up.

Never heard of him (the op question)

CB can't be any worse. I'm ok with taking a flier on House as long as they're asking him to press but the guys there last year better improve

How much inside did Clay play this past season? Between Ryan, Martinez and Thomas coming in on passing downs I can't imagine he did it that much, compared to before. 3-4 is the base but they play more nickel anyway so there's usually one ILB on the field then

Im eager to see Elliott get more snaps on defense, he's been stuck behind other players based on seniority and draft status. Fackrell looked ok when he got chances, same for him. Probably draft a guy too and that doesn't look bad. I mean Peppers is 37 now and Datone was just a guy, it's not asking for that much to replace them

Simple answer no defense since 2010, or Rodgers would have another ring ,Thompson foolishly believes Rodgers can score 50 a game and mask that Pathetic excuse of a defense

2015 was actually a real wasted year. The defense was ranked 9th overall, IIRC and was very healthy. Had the entire offense not been such a mess, I think GB could have made it to the SB that year.

Back