Locked JUSTICE LEAGUE v.4 (First Critics Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: July 26, 2017

Zack Snyder Will Have a Smaller Role in the DCEU Future and Other Shake-ups

gChfXy5.jpg

Zack Snyder, primary engineer of the DC Comics movie universe since Man of Steel, whose creative vision has been polarizing to say the least, will take a significantly smaller role with the franchise going forward, as will his wife, producer Deborah Snyder, Mashable has learned.

The Snyders left Justice League as director and producer in May, saying they needed time to grieve for their 20-year-old daughter, who had died by suicide two months before. Multiple sources with knowledge of Warner Bros.' plans say that as the DC Extended Universe moves forward, the Snyders will no longer have anything like the level of creative influence that got the franchise to this point.

DK0PdRX.jpg

For its part, Warners strongly denied the notion that the Snyders would no longer be actively involved in creative decision-making. Toby Emmerich, Warner Bros. Pictures Group president and chief content officer, said in a statement that the Snyders would maintain a role:

"The Snyders remain an important part of the Warner Bros. family and are actively involved in several upcoming DC pictures, including their continued creative input on Justice League. We are excited about our partnership and look forward to our continued collaboration."

MqFxCyd.jpg

Indeed, Zack and Deborah will be getting respective directing and producing credits on Justice League — they oversaw the bulk of production after all — and it's still possible that they'll carry executive producer or other types of credits for future DC films. But that involvement will be at a distance, multiple sources say, and for the time being the two are spending time with family while figuring out their next move, which is understood to include Warner Bros. films not within the DCEU.

While the Snyders' phasing out may not come entirely as a surprse, it's sure to send a shockwave through DC fandom, which fiercely supported Snyders' films in the face of harsh critical reception. And struggles with the Snyders were not entirely due to the increasingly hostile critical reactions to their films — Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad in particular: Warner Bros. brass was becoming increasingly concerned with their tendency to drive up budgets, and have been anxious for a freshened creative direction that manifested in Wonder Woman, on which the Snyders were producers.

grkETpK.jpg

Zack Snyder had been heavily involved in all of DC's movies to-date; he directed Man of Steel and Batman v Superman and was an executive producer on Suicide Squad. And future films like Aquaman, Suicide Squad 2 and The Flash: Flashpoint still carry his name in producing roles.

His creative imprint — a dark, metallic visual style and grim, brooding, muscular-emo sensibility — were all over the DCEU, and will surely linger into future films. But the post-Snyders regime is widely expected to take the films in a more hopeful, colorful, comic-book inflected direction — like what we saw work so well with Wonder Woman.

6HZLBv5.jpg

At the forefront of that effort is Geoff Johns, who swiftly ascended from the comic-book world to become president and chief creative officer at Warners' DC division last year, reporting to Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment. His close creative partner and secret weapon will be Joss Whedon, who stepped in for the departing Snyders to finish Justice League.

As Variety first reported on Monday, extensive re-shoots are under way on that film, and more than the usual regularly scheduled pickup shots; sources confirm that while Snyder's action sequences are useable, a wide swath of story and dialogue are being redone.

ypPWe63.jpg

Whedon also has Batgirl on the DC slate, which is expected to proceed on schedule. But Whedon — who never quite got the credit he deserved as a key architect of Marvel's cinematic universe alongside Kevin Feige after Avengers: Age of Ultron — will be a major part of WB's creative team in the future.

To some, the same can possibly be said for Aquaman director James Wan and Matt Reeves, the War for the Planet of the Apes director who is taking over the directing chair from Ben Affleck on the planned Batman movie. It's early yet, but Reeves' reputation after Apes could not be more sterling, his world-building chops are clearly first rate and the studio will throw its support to him.

QQd69AT.png

Another person whose involvement is now in question: David Ayer, the Suicide Squad helmer, who is still listed as the director of the Harley Quinn-led spinoff Gotham City Sirens. That film was not featured in Warner Bros.' Comic-Con sizzle reel of nine upcoming DC movies last weekend, and sources say Ayer won't ultimately be part of their plans. Ayer's rep flatly denied that he's off the project, saying it's still in development and that the script is not yet complete.

But there are other signs that he's moving on: Ayer seemed to signal his discontent with his WB/DC experience at his Comic-Con panel on Thursday for Bright, the fantasy buddy-cop film that Netflix gave him $90 million to make.

"I don't think people realize the situation filmmakers face," Ayer said, stressing that Netflix didn't intervene in his process — they just let him run with it. "[Bright] isn't like, some bullshit standard issue studio PG-13 movie. I was able to do some real shit here," said Ayer, who has directed exactly one PG-13 movie in his career: Suicide Squad.

FFVSnmW.png

Patty Jenkins, on the other hand, is definitely in the insiders club — as if there would be any doubt of that, given that Wonder Woman is now the DCEU's most successful film.

At the very first screening of Wonder Woman for select press, Johns and the WW director held court at a reception that followed; as things wound down and people were leaving, Johns and Jenkins shared a warm embrace and exchanged kind words — they knew they had made something special, and it was clear that its director and DC's new creative honcho are fans of one another.

And the timing of changes at Warners' DC division are not entirely coincidental: Kevin Tsujihara, chairman and CEO of Warner Bros. Entertainment, knows he needs to get his studio's most important house in order before parent company Time Warner's impending merger with AT&T. New bosses will want to see more results like Wonder Woman — which is still legging out record-breaking box office on a leaner budget — and less like Batman v Superman, which was a bona fide worldwide hit, but plunged in its ensuing weekends and cost a massive fortune.

The Zack Snyder era of DC movies is coming to a close at Warner Bros

Link to previous thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/j...er-posters-and-trailer-promos.2846947/page-50

Last edited:
Update: July 24, 2017

JUSTICE LEAGUE Extensive Reshoots to Cost $25 Million and Causing Headaches for Star Schedules

7Vu03iq.jpg

Warner Bros. and DC are spending big money to ensure that “Justice League” builds on the creative success of “Wonder Woman” instead of serving up a “Suicide Squad”-style disappointment.

The studio, which had no comment on the scheduling trouble, is spending approximately $25 million on extensive reshoots that have dragged on for roughly two months in London and Los Angeles, according to multiple insiders. Like “The Avengers,” “Justice League” centers on a group of superheroes who band together to save the world. The ensemble nature of the comic book movie, and the fact that its cast includes several of the most in-demand actors working in Hollywood today, is creating scheduling headaches that have prolonged the shooting.

It’s standard for big Hollywood movies to schedule a few weeks of pick-up work, but the cost and time allotted to the work on “Justice League” is raising some eyebrows. Reshoots, or additional photography, to use the preferred studio nomenclature, traditionally cost between $6 million and $10 million, and rarely have to juggle so many competing schedules. They typically last a week or two.

Though stars like Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot, who play Batman and Wonder Woman, aren’t working on any other projects at the moment, enabling them to be on call for the filming, other cast members such as Ezra Miller and Henry Cavill have been scrambling to accommodate the additional photography.

Miller is reprising his “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” role in the film’s sequel, which started filming earlier this summer. Sources indicate that since that is also a Warner Bros. property, scheduling has been easier. The studio has gone out of its way to make him available, but his growing role in the world of wizarding series has made it difficult for him to suit up as the Flash on the same days that other co-stars are available.

Cavill’s issues are even more thorny. “Justice League’s” Man of Steel had expected to be able to finish shooting the sixth “Mission: Impossible” film before needing to don Superman’s spandex again. That has not been the case, however, as the new scenes that are being shot have required him to jump back and forth from each production. Because of this, a mustache he grew for his character in the “Mission: Impossible” sequel will have to be digitally removed in post-production. Paramount, which is distributing the “Mission: Impossible” sequel, would not allow Cavill to shave the facial hair while production was taking place.

Then there is the question of crediting. Joss Whedon has now spent months overseeing the project, but he will not receive a co-directing credit, according to an insider. Whedon stepped in to handle the reshoots and finish the film this spring after director Zack Snyder publicly excused himself from the project, following his daughter’s suicide in March. Whedon won’t just be rewarded with a fat paycheck. He may also get a producing credit or a screenplay credit. There’s some precedent. Tony Gilroy, who stepped in for director Gareth Edwards to oversee reshoots for “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” earned a screenwriting credit.

A similar problem exists for the Han Solo spinoff film. Last month, Disney and Lucasfilm fired directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller and replaced them with Ron Howard. It’s unclear if Howard will receive sole credit for shooting the film or will share it with his two predecessors.

Sources say “Justice League” reshoots have been used to punch up the dialogue. Whedon, the director of “The Avengers,” is well respected for his ability to create memorably wry exchanges between his characters. The set pieces Snyder shot are said to be usable, but Whedon has been working on “connective tissue” that was needed to link sequences.

“Justice League” is spending the kind of time and money on reshoots that mid-budget films would have to shoot an entire movie. However, this is no longer an anomaly. Major studio movies have become so complicated and expensive, and are often key parts in sprawling franchises, that companies will spend lavishly, even late in the production, to ensure that audiences come out in force.

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” and “World War Z” both had extensive reshoots, and went on to be commercially and critically successful. “Suicide Squad,” another DC film, also did a lot of extra filming with mixed results. The movie was a box office hit, but critics savaged the picture. Going forward, Warner Bros. has changed its greenlighting process. It will now factor weeks and millions of dollars of additional photography into the production budgets of its major comic book films, according to insiders. Other studios have made similar accommodations on their big-budget films.

The reports of re-shoots have alarmed some fans of the DC franchise. At San Diego Comic-Con last weekend, where sneak footage of the film earned a rock concert reception, the “Justice League” cast used its Hall H panel to downplay the extent of the additional photography.

“They’re brief if anything,” said Ray Fisher, who plays Cyborg. “Zack picked a great director to help clean up for us.”

Affleck also used the panel to shoot down a report that he was leaving the franchise.

“Batman is the coolest part in any universe — DC, Marvel,” he said. “It’s incredible.”

‘Justice League’ Extensive Reshoots Causing Headaches for Star Schedules (Exclusive)

Update: July 22, 2017

New Comic-Con Trailer for JUSTICE LEAGUE!

Update: May 22, 2017

Zack Snyder Steps Down from JUSTICE LEAGUE as Joss Whedon Takes Over Post-Production

UPEKlR5.png

Zack Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in post-production, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

Snyder’s daughter, Autumn Snyder, died by suicide in March at age 20. Her death has been kept private, with only a small inner circle aware of what happened, even as the movie was put on a two-week break for the Snyders to deal with the immediate effects of the tragedy. Zack Snyder says he initially was eager to return to the film, which stars Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was way through it,” says an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all consuming. And in the last two months I’ve come to the realization …I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

The studio is fully behind the move. “What they are going through is unimaginable, and my heart — our hearts — go out to them, says Warner Bros. Pictures president Toby Emmerich.

One of the first things the studio floated was the possibility of pushing back the release date of the movie, but the Snyders decided against that suggestion. Warners also extended Snyder's first-look deal to give him time to work on other planned projects when he returns to work.

Snyder, after screening a rough cut of Justice League for fellow filmmakers and friends, wanted to add additional scenes, so he brought Whedon on board to write them. But as he prepared to shoot the scenes in England, Snyder realized it was not the time to leave home. “The directing is minimal and it has to adhere to the style and tone and the template that Zack set,” says Emmerich. “We’re not introducing any new characters. It’s the same characters in some new scenes. He’s handing a baton to Joss but the course has really been set by Zack. I still believe that despite this tragedy, we’ll still end up with a great movie.”

The death of Autumn, Zack's daughter from his first marriage (in addition to Autumn, he and Deborah have been raising seven kids and step-kids) has brought a new perspective and a new focus for him. “I want the movie to be amazing and I’m a fan, but that all pales pretty quickly in comparison," he says. “I know the fans are going to be worried about the movie but there are seven other kids that need me,” he says. “ In the end, it’s just a movie. It’s a great movie. But it’s just a movie.

Autumn, who was attending Sarah Lawrence College, loved “to write, to write, to write,” says Deborah. Their daughter had written a sci-fi fantasy novel in the first person. It featured a character who was an outsider and who had trouble fitting in.

Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal with Family Tragedy, Joss Whedon Takes Over Post-Production

Update: March 25, 2017

Amazing New Trailer for JUSTICE LEAGUE Unites DC's Greatest Superheroes

0hUSjZH.jpg

Warner Bros. has released a new trailer for Zack Snyder's Justice League (opens Nov. 17) and it looks amazing. Bruce Wayne recruits a team of metahumans to stand against a newly awakened threat. The preview also gives us our first look at Amber Heard as Mera and J.K. Simmons as Commissioner Gordon.

Hopefully Snyder and co-writer Chris Terio learned from the mistakes of Batman v Superman, and to some degree Man of Steel, and stop trying to recreate Watchmen or stop making a mopey, brooding deconstruction adaptation and just focus on making a fun, epic superhero movie.

Aquaman looks badass here. It seems they’re making him the Wolverine (savage loose cannon with an attitude) of the team. The Flash’s super speed scenes looks cool. One thing I like about Ben Affleck’s rendition of Bruce Wayne is it feels he like he is still Batman even without the mask and costume. I didn’t get that vibe from the other Batman actors before him.

That looks bad fucking ass.

I know I've been burned by DC again and again, but I'm still going to watch this like a kid in a candy store.

Hope cyborg is one of the CGI effects that gets upgraded in the time between the trailer and the release.

So much CGI... looks very iffy to me. Maybe I'm just tired of superhero movies at this point

Seriously, they somehow managed to make Aquaman look like the coolest member of the Justice League. That feat in of itself deserves my ticket.

I liked the trailer, but their track record has my tamping down on my excitement.

You guys are hopeless optimists. I'm not falling for it, the trailer looks ok, so did the BvS trailer. Bottom line is theyve proven they cant make a good movie using their current model. And this is more of the same.

The trailer does look good. Cyborg however, does not look good.

HOLY FUCK THAT WAS BAD FUCKING ASS. I no joke watched the trailer like 15 times in a row. Snyder is the best visual comic book director hands down. It's like a comic book come to life. He is the most comic book-y director by far. What a great trailer.

Lk3QgJ5.jpg

w4oam22ynd3cxm75g.jpg

I really don't like it.

It's really dark, the music is off, the CGI is bad (if we consider the budget and year), wasn't cut to be that great from the trailer perspective.. I'm not one bit impressed or extra hyped after seeing this trailer.

Good freaking luck this movie is going to need it big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back