Bigger Playoff Choke Job: Harden or Ovechkin?

Jorge Luis Borges

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ovechkin has developed a reputation as a being a perennial underachiever in the playoffs.

In game seven vs the Pens he was a relative non-factor. Not only did he fail to score or create many opportunities, he was partly responsible for both Penguins goals, especially the second one where a weak attempt to clear the zone resulted in a turnover and quick score.

Harden was awful against the Spurs in a must win game at home. From his body language and demeanor it seemed like he was already psychologically beaten. Kawhi guarded him fairly well most of the series, and with Kawhi out, I was confident Harden would put up some gaudy numbers. Not only did he fail, he didn't even seem to try. And this is after choking in OT in game 5 after Kawhi went out. He got slapped down by Old Man Manu. Everyone loses in the NBA, but not putting up a fight is bad form. I wonder if this defines Harden negatively going forward.

I think Harden's choke job was worse in the short run, but Ovechkin's reputation reaches further back.

What say you, the bigger choker of the 2017 playoffs is Harden or Ovechkin?

Last edited:
Harden is reaching bern in 2011 Finals level with these repeat fuck-ups. He better redeem himself next year or forever be branded a choke artist.

Trevor Ariza scored more than he did.

Trevor Ariza.

You have to give it to a basketball player long before a hockey player

Ovi was playing injured against the defending Champions, Harden just choked.

I think Ovechkin just has the bad luck to keep running into Crosby. He's a choker compared to Crosby, one of the best pressure players in the game, but he isn't THAT bad of a choker overall. Get Crosby out of the way like Michael Jordan and Ovechkin might have an Olajuwon style championship before it's all over.

Get Crosby out of the way like Michael Jordan and Ovechkin might have an Olajuwon style championship before it's all over.
oRBiIfr.gif

I don't think anyone actually expected Houston to beat San Antonio. People actually thought this might be the caps year.

I just think when you compare sports, hockey is just about the last sport (tied with baseball) where you can blame a single player for a team not winning a title considering depth of rosters and average time on field/ice/court.

Basketball players (like the recent Harden bashing) I get... and even quarterbacks in the NFL I can see getting a lot of grief. Even a pitcher in baseball.. because they have so much control over the fate of an entire game.

But considering hockey is a four line game now and even the biggest names getting what, 25 minutes out of 60 on the ice, you really have to cut an entire team down to size in order to lay blame for failure.

Never liked Hardcan. His playstyle absolutely sucks. Watching him lose was satisfying.

Westbrook > Hardcan

I don't think anyone actually expected Houston to beat San Antonio. People actually thought this might be the caps year.
After the game 1 blowout everyone was saying that it was the end of the spurs run.

Harden pulled a Kobe/LeBron and quit on his team when it looked like they weren't going to win. Not trying isn't the same as being scared.

Harden by far. Especially in a sport like basketball where 1 player can play like 40+ minutes and singlehandedly have a HUGE impact on a game. Hockey is a little more hit and miss and 1 or 2 bad luck or good luck plays can change the game. Considering how much of the offense ran through Harden, it's definitely him.

Hasn't been mentioned itt but Hardcan set a NBA yoff record with 12 turnovers in the series clinching elimination game 5 of the 2015 WCF. That's right, TWELVE turnovers in a single game lmao. Overall his statline for that series deciding game was:

14 points, 2-11 shaating, 6 rebunds, 5 assists, 12 turnovers

So Hardcan kinda has a history of choking hard in the biggest yoff games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back