What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the answer to that. But I'd like more of us to, for sake of the Sport. More of us to look beyond ourselves and our pockets.

Maybe it's human nature and the reason football, basketball etc. Do better is because they are team sports, tribal instincts and all that.

The issue needs to be looked at, from a new direction, maybe the core is fine it's the packaging that needs a change.

Just my thoughts on the situation, grass roots level needs fixing in lots of different places in the world.

I think there's lots of interest from kids. Parents are the ones who shoot it down.

But in all honesty, football and basketball only serve certain people well. There's size requirements if you want to make a career out of it. Boxing is more accessible career-wise, just not academically. If we could change that we could change the game. If the NCAA gave a fuck about Boxers.

the lack of scholarship opportunities hurts it alot, almost any other sport allows for the opportunity to help you or pay for your education...thats a huge draw.

it may cost parents money but it also can SAVE money, as not having to pay for a college education or getting to have your kid go to a very good prep school or get employment or housing opportunities for the parents are also incentives

i have gotten jobs as a result of meeting people who know my kids, an wanted us to play for them, we have had teams allow us to pay less cus they really wanted our kids.

also other sports coaches go out and try to get talent in... i know jesse james leija team at his gym did that; but i don't know how often an actual effort by a gym is made to bring kids in.

I don't know the answer to that. But I'd like more of us to, for sake of the Sport. More of us to look beyond ourselves and our pockets.

agree but like anything else that takes time but doesnt make money or put u in position to make money, it can be disruptive to regular life. As a spouse or kid may need or want things.

i used to ferry kids around to boxing tourneys, jiu jitsu tourneysm basketball tourneys, just about everything and i would help their coaches teaches etc run practice, get info out, help parents etc. On top of kicking in money for the kids myself...

shit cost me a ton of money and time, it was fun i was making a difference; but i had to pull back cus it wasnt making me money and i have kids and myself to take care of.

i cant act as if people, all people have the time or financial freedom to commit to these things... i did; but it wasnt maintainable cus of how much time and money that came out of me for it.

now i do it here and there; but i don't have all the time in the world to do it, as i have my own kids and kids on their teams who need help, on top of other things i do.

so while i am big on people making a difference, i get why they don't all the time, it could ruin u financially..or disrupt ur family dynamic. When your not making any money and have no potential too.

Maybe it's human nature and the reason football, basketball etc. Do better is because they are team sports, tribal instincts and all that.

The issue needs to be looked at, from a new direction, maybe the core is fine it's the packaging that needs a change.

Just my thoughts on the situation, grass roots level needs fixing in lots of different places in the world.

Well, sort of. Americans have become HIGHLY pacifistic. And the problem is socially you have Libs and Cons blaming each other for the same shit. Libs want utopian societies where you get punished systemically if you're a little mean to someone. Cons want to be able to threaten to shoot you if you're a little mean to them. When I was younger, you could still just go outside and have a scrap. Nowadays you have people who either wanna press charges for fights they started, or jagoffs who are so scared of life they feel like they need a gun to buy a sandwich.

This polarization effecting kids' parents. Kid sees boxing, kid likes boxing, kid wants to box. Parent has ZERO idea what the appeal is. They think of it as dangerous, barbaric, etc. Even though American Football has like 4 times the likelihood of head trauma. It's even seeping into the Hispanic community, who are normally huge proponents of boxing. I've met lots of Americanized Hispanic parents who straight out refuse to let their kid box and usually THEIR parents have to argue with them to get the kid in the Gym.

But I don't think we need to pussify the Sport to keep the appeal. We just have to let parents know what the Sport is really about. I don't tolerate knuckleheads in the Gym, and most of these parents lack of enforcement causes their kids to be knuckleheads despite all the pacifism. When they get some discipline here, the parent is happy. And they don't have to watch how it's done.

the lack of scholarship opportunities hurts it alot, almost any other sport allows for the opportunity to help you or pay for your education...thats a huge draw.

it may cost parents money but it also can SAVE money, as not having to pay for a college education or getting to have your kid go to a very good prep school or get employment or housing opportunities for the parents are also incentives

i have gotten jobs as a result of meeting people who know my kids, an wanted us to play for them, we have had teams allow us to pay less cus they really wanted our kids.

also other sports coaches go out and try to get talent in... i know jesse james leija team at his gym did that; but i don't know how often an actual effort by a gym is made to bring kids in.

I'm trying to network similarly for boxing. My fighters are a lot like a tribe. Last night one of the young kids I train told me his Mother owns a restaurant. I asked if she was hiring, he said she was looking for a cook. I train two cooks who hate their jobs. Bada-bing. This helps weave the community a bit tighter, which is what we need. Our Gym is becoming a lot more progressive, we got some sponsorship and we're working on more. This gives us opportunities. That fight I posted above, Za-Quan is our first ever to qualify for National Golden Gloves by winning State and Regional. Alex has 6 National Titles. Daijon had a National Title, so did J-Flash. This year we had 3 State Golden Glove Champs, first time EVER. On the 19th my team will be in Albuquerque for the Western Nationals. I got 4 fighters going. If they each make it to the quarter finals they're ranked in the Country. Stuff like that builds us up. Gives new kids goals to set.

agree but like anything else that takes time but doesnt make money or put u in position to make money, it can be disruptive to regular life. As a spouse or kid may need or want things.

i used to ferry kids around to boxing tourneys, jiu jitsu tourneysm basketball tourneys, just about everything and i would help their coaches teaches etc run practice, get info out, help parents etc. On top of kicking in money for the kids myself...

shit cost me a ton of money and time, it was fun i was making a difference; but i had to pull back cus it wasnt making me money and i have kids and myself to take care of.

i cant act as if people, all people have the time or financial freedom to commit to these things... i did; but it wasnt maintainable cus of how much time and money that came out of me for it.

now i do it here and there; but i don't have all the time in the world to do it, as i have my own kids and kids on their teams who need help, on top of other things i do.

so while i am big on people making a difference, i get why they don't all the time, it could ruin u financially..or disrupt ur family dynamic. When your not making any money and have no potential too.

Man you don't gotta tell me. I got a 3 year-old, and a 1 year-old, and my lady is the bread-winner. lol Like Outkast said: "True I got more fans than the average man, but not enough loot to last me to the end of the week..." I'm fortunate in how famous this Gym is. We get enough cyclical sign-ups that I didn't lose anything in going to full time training as opposed to managing. I actually make a little more now. But I also think our whole model of training is fucked up. To put it in one sentence:

American trainers are too focused on finding the goose that lays the golden egg. The Ward, the Pacquiao, etc., while the communist Countries' amateur programs are kicking our ass because they focus more on the program and not the athlete.

So I kind of adapted their approach. My program is my focus. If I have ten kids, I'll make champions out of 8 of them if they stick to it long enough. The cream always rises to the top anyway. I'm not going to perform my task mediocre and hope a miracle walks through the door.

Well, sort of. Americans have become HIGHLY pacifistic. And the problem is socially you have Libs and Cons blaming each other for the same shit. Libs want utopian societies where you get punished systemically if you're a little mean to someone. Cons want to be able to threaten to shoot you if you're a little mean to them. When I was younger, you could still just go outside and have a scrap. Nowadays you have people who either wanna press charges for fights they started, or jagoffs who are so scared of life they feel like they need a gun to buy a sandwich.

This polarization effecting kids' parents. Kid sees boxing, kid likes boxing, kid wants to box. Parent has ZERO idea what the appeal is. They think of it as dangerous, barbaric, etc. Even though American Football has like 4 times the likelihood of head trauma. It's even seeping into the Hispanic community, who are normally huge proponents of boxing. I've met lots of Americanized Hispanic parents who straight out refuse to let their kid box and usually THEIR parents have to argue with them to get the kid in the Gym.

But I don't think we need to pussify the Sport to keep the appeal. We just have to let parents know what the Sport is really about. I don't tolerate knuckleheads in the Gym, and most of these parents lack of enforcement causes their kids to be knuckleheads despite all the pacifism. When they get some discipline here, the parent is happy. And they don't have to watch how it's done.

I'm trying to network similarly for boxing. My fighters are a lot like a tribe. Last night one of the young kids I train told me his Mother owns a restaurant. I asked if she was hiring, he said she was looking for a cook. I train two cooks who hate their jobs. Bada-bing. This helps weave the community a bit tighter, which is what we need. Our Gym is becoming a lot more progressive, we got some sponsorship and we're working on more. This gives us opportunities. That fight I posted above, Za-Quan is our first ever to qualify for National Golden Gloves by winning State and Regional. Alex has 6 National Titles. Daijon had a National Title, so did J-Flash. This year we had 3 State Golden Glove Champs, first time EVER. On the 19th my team will be in Albuquerque for the Western Nationals. I got 4 fighters going. If they each make it to the quarter finals they're ranked in the Country. Stuff like that builds us up. Gives new kids goals to set.

Man you don't gotta tell me. I got a 3 year-old, and a 1 year-old, and my lady is the bread-winner. lol Like Outkast said: "True I got more fans than the average man, but not enough loot to last me to the end of the week..." I'm fortunate in how famous this Gym is. We get enough cyclical sign-ups that I didn't lose anything in going to full time training as opposed to managing. I actually make a little more now. But I also think our whole model of training is fucked up. To put it in one sentence:

American trainers are too focused on finding the goose that lays the golden egg. The Ward, the Pacquiao, etc., while the communist Countries' amateur programs are kicking our ass because they focus more on the program and not the athlete.

So I kind of adapted their approach. My program is my focus. If I have ten kids, I'll make champions out of 8 of them if they stick to it long enough. The cream always rises to the top anyway. I'm not going to perform my task mediocre and hope a miracle walks through the door.

I do agree on the Libs getting involved with the whole social engineering thing and the Cons are just as involved in a different way.

When I spoke of a different packaging I was not speaking of turning the sport into a pussy slap fest........But you must agree, you have more chance of re-packaging boxing successfully than trying to change the minds of a bunch of so called left wing Liberal elites.....Trying to social engineer the world.......

Or trying to get Con ignoramuses to stop thinking guns are the be-all end-all of building character.

And not really. Boxing is dirty, a terrible Sport politically and it's been so since it's inception. It's like trying to repackage drug dealing. The US has kinda done that via the pharmaceutical industry. But they make trillions of dollars. It's much easier to give dumb parents peace of mind as to why their kid wants to learn something more basic in human nature than they think is acceptable, in the context of Sport.

Or trying to get Con ignoramuses to stop thinking guns are the be-all end-all of building character.

And not really. Boxing is dirty, a terrible Sport politically and it's been so since it's inception. It's like trying to repackage drug dealing. The US has kinda done that via the pharmaceutical industry. But they make trillions of dollars. It's much easier to give dumb parents peace of mind as to why their kid wants to learn something more basic in human nature than they think is acceptable, in the context of Sport.

Maybe bring in a mystical background and give kids coloured shorts...........;)

Those actually work better, and it's weird. Maybe because they're unusual. But all the kids see the National Title belts some of our guys have already gotten and they WANT them.

I recently watched this and I was amazed. The kid moves very well.
Smooth pivots, good weight distribution, the way he throws his right.
Sinister, how long have you been training him?

You'd be surprised. Like 5 months total. But the thing about kids his age is when they like this, they fuckin' like it. So they don't bullshit you, they just learn. You can't teach them the same way you teach an older guy (less big words, less explanation so you don't overload their brains), but if you get them to understand something, they just do it. There's only two other kids in the Gym his size, and both of them have been boxing for over 2 years, but he can hold his own:

How are some of your other guys like Daijon and Bandito doing Sin? Any of them ready to turn pro in the near future? Or any new guys that you've taken on recently that are showing a lot of early potential?

I can't condone youth boxing. Almost every pediatric association in the the world vigorously opposes boxing for kids and the scientific data that exist shows the terrible consequences that can come from head trauma at that age.

How are some of your other guys like Daijon and Bandito doing Sin? Any of them ready to turn pro in the near future? Or any new guys that you've taken on recently that are showing a lot of early potential?

There's a whole thread about Bandito. I posted his most recent fight in it, I believe. No wait, I didn't. I will in a moment. Daijon is doing well. Both of them will likely turn Pro next year. Earlier in this thread I posted about my guy Za-Quan Peterkin. He's about to turn Pro. He's the closest one.

I can't condone youth boxing. Almost every pediatric association in the the world vigorously opposes boxing for kids and the scientific data that exist shows the terrible consequences that can come from head trauma at that age.

Well, good thing you have no say in it, then.

However, a few things:

1) The concussion rate in youth boxing is fairly nil, most of these kids lack the physical strength needed to really hurt each other.

2) Pediatric associations don't know dick about boxing. They oppose anything that poses any danger to children, that's their job.

3) These two kids are actually two years older than the youngest age children are allowed to box competitively at.

4) I hope you feel twice as strongly about youth football considering the actual data on the fan-favored Sport that has higher rates of head trauma:

Here's a recent session between Daijon and Aza, a rough journeyman Pro from Tajikistan:

You'd be surprised. Like 5 months total. But the thing about kids his age is when they like this, they fuckin' like it. So they don't bullshit you, they just learn. You can't teach them the same way you teach an older guy (less big words, less explanation so you don't overload their brains), but if you get them to understand something, they just do it. There's only two other kids in the Gym his size, and both of them have been boxing for over 2 years, but he can hold his own:

Lol that kid in the red head gear has better boxing than I do!

Well, good thing you have no say in it, then.

However, a few things:

1) The concussion rate in youth boxing is fairly nil, most of these kids lack the physical strength needed to really hurt each other.

Thats a lie, sub concussive forces have been shown to be enough to create abnormalities in the brain.

2) Pediatric associations don't know dick about boxing. They oppose anything that poses any danger to children, that's their job.

Well they actually know what they are talking about. What kind of formation do you have in the medical field.

3) These two kids are actually two years older than the youngest age children are allowed to box competitively at.

4) I hope you feel twice as strongly about youth football considering the actual data on the fan-favored Sport that has higher rates of head trauma:

Thats a lie, subconcussive hits are enough to create abnormalities in the brain. Doctors actually know what they are talking about, what kind of formation do you have in the medical field?
Im not american but if head trauma is that prevalent in football, then yeah, Im against kids playing that sport too,and this comes from someone with a sports science degree.

Thats a lie, subconcussive hits are enough to create abnormalities in the brain. Doctors actually know what they are talking about, what kind of formation do you have in the medical field?
Im not american but if head trauma is that prevalent in football, then yeah, Im against kids playing that sport too,and this comes from someone with a sports science degree.

To his defence he didn#t lie he never said suconcussive hits aren't dangerous. I think he means the change of an injury happening is much smaller with kids not that it is non existant (and it's not like concussive shots are 100% impossible even with kids)

Same thing with European football/soccer as well though heading balls has always shown to cause damage.
the advantage kids have is that they can learn defenc in sparring with less on the line since they spar other kids if you start later it means you get hit with really hard shots right from the beginning.

It#s obviously not "safe" but that's not what Sinister said

Here's a recent session between Daijon and Aza, a rough journeyman Pro from Tajikistan:

Wow no disrespect but the guy is really ...rough. Daijon was toying with him. Looking at the guys record I wonder how that even happens. He appears to be in good shape and his offence at mid and close range is at least ok you would think a boxer in good shape and ok-ish offence would at least get a few more wins.
How is he throwing that little until the last round? He didn't appear to be tired but his workrate was non existant up until the end.
The guy is also much bigger than Daijon.

Excuse me for being that ...amazed almost but what is your explanation for it is he really that tuntalented because looking at the moments where he does work he seems like he is at least not completely incapable of boxing.

EDIT: looking at that guy he went the distance with Shane Mosley Jr who is far from great but has at least a mostly winning record and he wobbled Mosley in the first round so it's not like he can#t punch. But in his last fight this guy lost to someone who made his debut and went on to lose his next few fights.

Did he just start boxing recently and went to the pros right away or how does this happen?

And congrats on Daijon looking better against a SMW than Mosley Jr did who is actually a SMW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back