Do you play in a band, produce music or are a musician?

Are you a musician?

• Total voters
pffttt... Just ordered Rocksmith... so yeah, I am/do...

My mom was a piano teacher and I took classical lessons from her for about 10 years. I never stopped playing (I'll just say it's been over 30 years). I've been blessed with perfect pitch. Sadly, I've injured both my wrists and have lost a lot of dexterity in my fingers. I taught myself how to play guitar and bass as a teenager. I'm also a percussionist in an orchestra, specializing on the glockenspiel but I also play a mean triangle, sustained and crash cymbals, egg shaker, djembe, congas, and bass drum, as well as a modern drum set.

I'm not in any band right now, but sometimes I play piano at a church (paid gig), and also for weddings and funerals.

This is my band's cover of "Got My Mojo Workin' " by Muddy Waters recorded in 2003 or 2004. It's amateurish, but I love the raw energy.

I dig it!
What are you playing on that?

Guitar, piano and vocals. I'm the guy at the far left in the picture, the next to me played bass (depending on the song, we'd switch bass and guitar duties), and the drummer is the guy at the far right. He had a mic that's way above the mix yelling out the, "Got my mojo workin'". We did everything except the piano in one live take; I turned up the guitar for the solo. Truth be told, we played it in E and sped everything up to an F# and I was going to lay down another track of vocals (The F# still being well within my range), but got lazy, never did and left it as is. A couple days later, I put down a piano track, the highlight and intent being the big glissandos in the middle.

Guitar, piano and vocals. I'm the guy at the far left in the picture, the next to me played bass (depending on the song, we'd switch bass and guitar duties), and the drummer is the guy at the far right. He had a mic that's way above the mix yelling out the, "Got my mojo workin'". We did everything except the piano in one live take; I turned up the guitar for the solo. Truth be told, we played it in E and sped everything up to an F# and I was going to lay down another track of vocals (The F# still being well within my range), but got lazy, never did and left it as is. A couple days later, I put down a piano track, the highlight and intent being the big glissandos in the middle.

Ah cool, nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

I sat in with a band last night in front of a pretty decent sized crowd of people. First time I've played in public in over 10 years. Did a blues jam and "One way Out" by the Allman Brothers.

I've got the bug again. I really need to find some decent musicians to play with.

I sat in with a band last night in front of a pretty decent sized crowd of people. First time I've played in public in over 10 years. Did a blues jam and "One way Out" by the Allman Brothers.

I've got the bug again. I really need to find some decent musicians to play with.

Cracking tune, that one.

New song up :) short but sweet, working on a more romantic one for next week!!!

This is my current project. It's me and my collaborator. I wrote half the songs and he the other half. I play/sing the first one.
We go by The Interstates.
It's a roots sound with country influence. My family's from the hinterlands.

I cleaned up my Soundcloud pretty significantly. Cut out the overwhelming majority of the tracks. Trimmed it down to anything I wouldn't be terribly disappointed for any random person to have as their first experience of my sound (even if not all are as good as the best couple/few, whatever).

Just tonight I finished up remastering a couple older tracks. These are ones I cut the original uploads of, but I think the remasters really help clarify their respective musical theses:

synthpop type vibe

some electro industrial type vibes, with a touch of idk drum and bass or something

This is my current project. It's me and my collaborator. I wrote half the songs and he the other half. I play/sing the first one.
We go by The Interstates.
It's a roots sound with country influence. My family's from the hinterlands.

I really like that.

If I was to offer one small criticism, I think the harmonica is mixed a bit loud before the harmony vocals kick in the first time and, in a couple of other places, makes it harder to hear your voice in those bits.

But, lovely tune, good lyrics, thanks for sharing.

Some damn talented people on here, eh?

I really like that.

If I was to offer one small criticism, I think the harmonica is mixed a bit loud before the harmony vocals kick in the first time and, in a couple of other places, makes it harder to hear your voice in those bits.

But, lovely tune, good lyrics, thanks for sharing.

Some damn talented people on here, eh?
Yeah I feel the exact same way about the mix. My buddy did it. Screw him. Lol. He's so content to be amateur it's hard to work with him...

I've recently lost half my hearing, with tinnitus.
But I'm still considering spending a few grand on a Parker Adrian Belew model.

New video up :), I love the challenge of weekly music recording.

No problem at all, I like hearing things that Sherbros have recorded. Hope you can get a new one finished up and recorded too, best of luck to ya.

Post it when you have!

Not sure how I feel about this one, it's my first attempt at a song with 3/4 timing. Seems a little all over the place, but maybe it will grow on me. Plus I think I skipped a word somewhere haha. Going to try and find someone to help me make some better recordings soon.

Also, anybody with a SoundCloud account feel free to add me, I'll return the favor.

Making music with other people is hell in my experience, I was in some bands trying to make our own stuff and basicly every member had their own taste and it rarely collided with what others loved, even if it's in the same genre. You either find very like-minded or gregarious individuals or the band is destined to fail and end up into petty squabbling and/or playing without passion.
Also, a lot of people I played with were only interested with coming up with whatever and play it live somewhere, no matter the quality, maybe to get some chick or whatever, kinda pathetic.

Not sure how I feel about this one, it's my first attempt at a song with 3/4 timing. Seems a little all over the place, but maybe it will grow on me. Plus I think I skipped a word somewhere haha. Going to try and find someone to help me make some better recordings soon.

Also, anybody with a SoundCloud account feel free to add me, I'll return the favor.

I like it, although the constant string squeak is pretty jarring.

Could hear your voice getting a bit stronger and more confident as it wore on, how many takes did you do?

I'll add you on my Soundcloud now.

New video up :), I love the challenge of weekly music recording.

I like that, too. What program do you use to do the backing tracks, by the way? May have been asked before.

Back