Do you play in a band, produce music or are a musician?

Are you a musician?

• Total voters
I like it, although the constant string squeak is pretty jarring.

Could hear your voice getting a bit stronger and more confident as it wore on, how many takes did you do?

I'll add you on my Soundcloud now.

I like that, too. What program do you use to do the backing tracks, by the way? May have been asked before.

FL studio using EZdrummer plug in, its tedious but don't know a better way yet, takes about 3 days to do the drums, huge pain lol

FL studio using EZdrummer plug in, its tedious but don't know a better way yet, takes about 3 days to do the drums, huge pain lol

3 days!? Eeesh, that is commitment, especially as you are doing such consistent recordings.

I like it, although the constant string squeak is pretty jarring.

Could hear your voice getting a bit stronger and more confident as it wore on, how many takes did you do?

I'll add you on my Soundcloud now.

I like that, too. What program do you use to do the backing tracks, by the way? May have been asked before.
I agree 100% about the string squeaks, they're older strings so maybe some fresh ones will help a little. They could maybe be toned down a bit with some editing, and better microphones. (These were all recorded on an iPhone so the quality is pretty terrible)

Just the 1 take when I recorded it, but I'd like to try a few more soon. I may have been too eager to put something new up haha.

Felt in a slow, funky mood, laid this down. @shonuf might dig this. @Jackonfire this needs some funky bass ;)

3 days!? Eeesh, that is commitment, especially as you are doing such consistent recordings.

Yeah, I usually have 2 on the go at a time, 2 kids aswell so I do it when I can, the live guitar is always the easiest lol.

I agree 100% about the string squeaks, they're older strings so maybe some fresh ones will help a little. They could maybe be toned down a bit with some editing, and better microphones. (These were all recorded on an iPhone so the quality is pretty terrible)

Just the 1 take when I recorded it, but I'd like to try a few more soon. I may have been too eager to put something new up haha.

I know how that goes. Do you record singing and playing at the same time? I find doing separate tracks far easier, especially if you wanna edit out stuff like string squeaking.

Yeah, I usually have 2 on the go at a time, 2 kids aswell so I do it when I can, the live guitar is always the easiest lol.

More power to you for being able to still get stuff done and, thanks for sharing!

i make beats. still doing them the old way with record sampling

I know how that goes. Do you record singing and playing at the same time? I find doing separate tracks far easier, especially if you wanna edit out stuff like string squeaking.

More power to you for being able to still get stuff done and, thanks for sharing!

So far I've done them all with guitar and vocals together, I might try to download some editing software and record them separately. Eventually though I plan on having them recorded by someone with better knowledge and equipment, probably after I write a few more songs.

So far I've done them all with guitar and vocals together, I might try to download some editing software and record them separately. Eventually though I plan on having them recorded by someone with better knowledge and equipment, probably after I write a few more songs.

I recommend Audacity, mainly cos it is free and, I use it.

i make beats. still doing them the old way with record sampling

Sweet, got any examples, would be cool to hear?

I recommend Audacity, mainly cos it is free and, I use it.

Sweet, got any examples, would be cool to hear?
Haha I was trying to remember what that program was called. I used to use it back in the day, much appreciated. I

im gonna make a sound cloud account soon. i'll let ya know when its up.

Sweet, that will be cool.

Haha I was trying to remember what that program was called. I used to use it back in the day, much appreciated. I

No worries. It has served me well. Depending how long ago you used it, you will likely find it has a lot more features since then.

Sweet, that will be cool.

No worries. It has served me well. Depending how long ago you used it, you will likely find it has a lot more features since then.
It was probably 8 or 9 years ago, and I wasn't very proficient with it when I used it then. Mostly just laying tracks over each other. I'll have to find a good tutorial somewhere

I did manage to write some gnarly death metal/hardcore type instrumental tracks with it though. It wasn't too difficult to use from what I remember. If I could get my hands on some microphones and a better computer these songs would sound a lot better I think.

It was probably 8 or 9 years ago, and I wasn't very proficient with it when I used it then. Mostly just laying tracks over each other. I'll have to find a good tutorial somewhere

I did manage to write some gnarly death metal/hardcore type instrumental tracks with it though. It wasn't too difficult to use from what I remember. If I could get my hands on some microphones and a better computer these songs would sound a lot better I think.

It is still easy to use, just has more features by now. There's some good effects on there and, it is easy enough to add VSTs if needed.

I sound like such a shill, lol.

Just get a cheapo mic, like a podcast one maybe? That is all I use, it is a USB one. Before the one I have now, which is a slightly more upmarket £40, I had a dirt cheap one that went into the laptop mic jack, think it was £5 from one of the chain general shops.

But they work, can get a lot out of cheap equipment.

It is still easy to use, just has more features by now. There's some good effects on there and, it is easy enough to add VSTs if needed.

I sound like such a shill, lol.

Just get a cheapo mic, like a podcast one maybe? That is all I use, it is a USB one. Before the one I have now, which is a slightly more upmarket £40, I had a dirt cheap one that went into the laptop mic jack, think it was £5 from one of the chain general shops.

But they work, can get a lot out of cheap equipment.
That's actually not a bad idea, it'd probably be a lot cheaper than booking studio time somewhere. I think I'll go peruse guitarcenter this weekend and price some stuff. I'll re download audacity too and maybe fl studios and see if I can get a cleaner sound.

That's actually not a bad idea, it'd probably be a lot cheaper than booking studio time somewhere. I think I'll go peruse guitarcenter this weekend and price some stuff. I'll re download audacity too and maybe fl studios and see if I can get a cleaner sound.

I share the same attitude as The Minutemen: jam econo. If I can do it for cheap, or even better free, fantastic!

Plus, unless you are planning on being a pro, I think studio time would be a waste of money.

If nothing else, doing it at home you can do it whenever you want and teach yourself how to mix your own tracks the way you like them, eh?

Back