How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

I meant power jab (back foot) but a good step jab (front foot) from a heavy opponent is no joke either.

In a fight where clinching is allowed, if you throw jab, and opponent slips it, and throws his front hand over it, he can wrap it up, come around and throw crosses to back of your head.

Now that is just a scenario. You can snatch up straights and crosses too, but at least they have more reward if you do land, namely being more damage due to be harder punches.

haha seriously? I'm not the most knowledgeable with combat sports, but how exactly does one of the tallest men in boxing do an upward jab? I do think Klitschko is a great example of an excellent jab/power jab, but I wasn't exactly trying to emulate him considering he'll have a reach advantage on just about everyone where as for me I'm about Mike Tyson's height hah.

He carries his lead hand down by his side and fires it up into their faces.

In a fight where clinching is allowed, if you throw jab, and opponent slips it, and throws his front hand over it, he can wrap it up, come around and throw crosses to back of your head.

Now that is just a scenario. You can snatch up straights and crosses too, but at least they have more reward if you do land, namely being more damage due to be harder punches.

The George Foreman clip was a right hand, not jab

Hey guys was just wondering a quick question. I just train boxing and kickboxing for exercise and fun but I of course train to help with self defense to. Now I'm not posting some stupid thread asking about how to fight against people with knifes/guns/ etc, and I know the best thing to do is run away. But if I was put in a position where I had to fight, how effective is a jab, and/or leg kicks/knees in a street fight?

Because in street fights it's usually a minute or so of just heavy power punches, and if I was attacked by an untrained person and he's obviously going to be coming at me with his home run overhand right, would it smarter to jab and move or just get in there and throw my power shots as well.

If anyone here has seen any fights that the jab or leg kicks/knees has helped, or just if they think it is most definitely worth it then please let me know.

Thanks

Leg kicking someone in a fight, doesnt have the same effect it does if your buddy said he go ahead and give me a good leg kick so I can see what it feels like. Than you kick him once, he falls down, cant get up and cant walk. You really wont see this in any type of fight. The concept behind kicking the leg is to wear the guy down and take advantage of it in the later rounds. You can stop guys with it as well, but its a build up effect..........generally speaking.

jabs kicks and knees are effective in a "street fight"

Good question...

Knees are very useful in a street situation. Ill go back to that later. The jab, honestly, shouldnt be used a ton. Street fights are over pretty quickly so maybe a jab to distract him and take his back or jab to set up for something else. But ive never seen or been in a street fight where a guy just used a bunch of jabs. Doesnt mean it cant work. But I dont use it.

Leg kicks are a tricky thing in a street fight. Its a great strike and usually catches people off guard but it isnt a fight ender..and thats what you are looking for in a street situation. End the threat. Said another way, when sparring and you land a perfect leg kick (unchecked) your opponnent can still come at you no problem for that round. He wont feel the kick for a little while if not later that day. So yeah, if you want this dude to walk funny later that night go for the leg kick but just keep your guard because his adrenaline will keep him coming through your leg kick

A Knee to the stomach hurts a ton. A knee to the face is a fight ender. And you dont have the chance of breaking your hand

i dontbelieve that u can just use a jab to ko the guy a very fast quick snap iv seen it happen many times you dont throw it as to set up a punch throw it to snap his head back that is if you are trying to punch

ive been in more streets fight than i can count (cause im so tough bro!), and i wish i was smart enough to kick more.

If one of those scrub tough guys come at you and you throw a teep trong to their breadbasket, it's over, dude, you can wail on them until you get pulled off.

People are stupid when they fight, because other people are usually around.

When you get up in a guy's face, you dont have room to kick, jab or doing anything remotely intelligent that is focused upon in sparring.

Ive been kicked in a street fight, and it sucks.
If the kid knew what he was doing, he could have seriously put me in a bad position.

well since your a kick boxer isnt the answer for you simple on what to do if hes up close where you cant kick or jab?

grab a plum and go to town with knees and short elbows till he drops

didnt realize his post was 7 ears old lol

Hey guys was just wondering a quick question. I just train boxing and kickboxing for exercise and fun but I of course train to help with self defense to. Now I'm not posting some stupid thread asking about how to fight against people with knifes/guns/ etc, and I know the best thing to do is run away. But if I was put in a position where I had to fight, how effective is a jab, and/or leg kicks/knees in a street fight?

Because in street fights it's usually a minute or so of just heavy power punches, and if I was attacked by an untrained person and he's obviously going to be coming at me with his home run overhand right, would it smarter to jab and move or just get in there and throw my power shots as well.

If anyone here has seen any fights that the jab or leg kicks/knees has helped, or just if they think it is most definitely worth it then please let me know.

Thanks
Well most people aren't expecting takedowns in the street, so i'd do that and probably step on there head alot. Your jab or low kick would probably lead into a grapple anyway. Unless you have a really high level of striking. If there is a knife or gun involved you would want to get wrist control immediately anyways.

Leg kicking someone in a fight, doesnt have the same effect it does if your buddy said he go ahead and give me a good leg kick so I can see what it feels like. Than you kick him once, he falls down, cant get up and cant walk. You really wont see this in any type of fight. The concept behind kicking the leg is to wear the guy down and take advantage of it in the later rounds. You can stop guys with it as well, but its a build up effect..........generally speaking.

jabs kicks and knees are effective in a "street fight"

You make perfect sense but you are using strategy and tactics honed in sport fighting and applying them to the street. Low kicking someone who trains to see, check, and counter leg kicks is clearly going to have a different result than low kicking the average person fighting on the street. A trained person is not only going to be used to how the kicks feel when they land, they will also know how their body reacfs, and how to continue on despite the pain.

The average person doesn’t have that experience therefore they will not see the kick coming, will not know how to defend against it, will not be used to the pain inflicted in that region and it could stop the fight in its tracks. It can also be the set up for a nice finishing hook or cross. So to summarize, I wouldn’t rule out a low kick just because Amateurs and Professionals have a high tolerance for them as the same can be said for punches too. The goal is to have a bag full of tools that you can pull ou as necessary. Sometimes a low kick is perfect, sometimes a jab is, it’s all about keeping a clear head, staying focused, creating opportunities, and exploiting the holes they leave.

Last edited:
The jab is very effective in fighting.

Osoto guruma and osoto gari have always been my go to in street fights. I've never really done judo, but I wrestled and I learned organically that it's really easy to get in behind a punch and do this to people with no grappling experience. Luckily I've never got into a scrap with someone who can wrestle because it's an easy technique to avoid just by having decent positioning.

You make perfect sense but you are using strategy and tactics honed in sport fighting and applying them to the street. Low kicking someone who trains to see, check, and counter leg kicks is clearly going to have a different result than low kicking the average person fighting on the street. A trained person is not only going to be used to how the kicks feel when they land, they will also know how their body reacfs, and how to continue on despite the pain.

The average person doesn’t have that experience therefore they will not see the kick coming, will not know how to defend against it, will not be used to the pain inflicted in that region and it could stop the fight in its tracks. It can also be the set up for a nice finishing hook or cross. So to summarize, I wouldn’t rule out a low kick just because Amateurs and Professionals have a high tolerance for them as the same can be said for punches too. The goal is to have a bag full of tools that you can pull ou as necessary. Sometimes a low kick is perfect, sometimes a jab is, it’s all about keeping a clear head, staying focused, creating opportunities, and exploiting the holes they leave.

im not saying dont leg kick someone in a "street" fight. what im saying is dont expect your leg kick to stop/drop someone in a fight in just 1 kick, regardless if its in the ring or not, when you are fighting, you got adrenaline etc. so you dont feel the pain as much. I have been leg kicked in fights and you dont feel it until after the fight, the leg kick is not a finishing move, its a building up move, it can finish a fight, but not with 1 leg kick, they need to add up, much the same concept as kicking a punchers arms to wear his arms down. Also I have used the leg kick in a "street" fight before, it didnt stop the guy with 1 kick. so if you want to use the leg kick in a street fight, thats fine, just dont count on 1 kick to the leg stopping the guy. lastly, i got into a street fight once when I was younger, all i did was leg kick, after 3 extremely huge wind up crazy leg kicks, the guy couldnt walk. someones who trains and conditioned would probably take more.

you can see here, muay thai in a street fight, kicks to the leg dont stop the fight.

im not saying dont leg kick someone in a "street" fight. what im saying is dont expect your leg kick to stop/drop someone in a fight in just 1 kick, regardless if its in the ring or not, when you are fighting, you got adrenaline etc. so you dont feel the pain as much. I have been leg kicked in fights and you dont feel it until after the fight, the leg kick is not a finishing move, its a building up move, it can finish a fight, but not with 1 leg kick, they need to add up, much the same concept as kicking a punchers arms to wear his arms down. Also I have used the leg kick in a "street" fight before, it didnt stop the guy with 1 kick. so if you want to use the leg kick in a street fight, thats fine, just dont count on 1 kick to the leg stopping the guy. lastly, i got into a street fight once when I was younger, all i did was leg kick, after 3 extremely huge wind up crazy leg kicks, the guy couldnt walk. someones who trains and conditioned would probably take more.

you can see here, muay thai in a street fight, kicks to the leg dont stop the fight.

I agree. Too many variables involved. Which particular thai fighter is throwing the leg kick, who is receiving it, etc

Here's another example where the leg kicks did not bite

I agree with this post...you made solid points!

Leg kicks are a tricky thing in a street fight. Its a great strike and usually catches people off guard but it isnt a fight ender..

u can leg kick to the knee. im sure it can be over.

Worked for this kid:

2nd fight.

Da Speeit yes I've been kicked before and I know first hand how much leg and body kicks are a game changer. But at the same time I still picture that more of a sparring or gentlemen's fight just because that means your both squared up with space and moving around.

Street fightings a little different because it's an anger fueled dude bum rushing you and closing the distance. If it was more like a boxing/kickboxing match where you can't just bum rush and win because you'll gas out then that's where leg kicks/body shots really dominate. But odds are in a real fight it's going to be some pissed off dude who's going to charge at me winging overhands where as I could probably get off one leg kick before he's at me.
thats the reality of it. the jab is great if you can follow with a right hand as they come at you. a lot of untrained people will try to charge at you and tackle if it looks like you know how to punch, that's were the knee or uppercut come in.

Back