Some thoughts on Connor

F

franklinstower

I have been a bit conflicted about Connor ever since his rise in MMA. There are some things I really appreciate and value about his approach and then there are some things I truly detest also.

On the positive side. I have a genuine admiration for Connors ability and willingness to think outside of the box. Without going into any detail I have to say that in a limited way I have done something similar in my own life. I have always been able to separate myself from whatever group or institution I am involved in and see it from a perspective that is less limited and involved so deeply that you cant see the forest for the trees. I have enjoyed something like real and true success in my chosen field by being innovative in this same way.

On this level with Connor I have to believe that he is and does see things that boxers are missing about boxing. I am certain that there are many things that the boxing world is taking for granted and that all or most boxers take for granted that Connor is seeing through and past and around. I have no idea if what Connor is seeing can make the difference for him with Floyd Mayweather (I doubt it) but no one could convince me that the fresh way he is approaching things and looking at things will not create real and true value.

I know this because in my own limited experience I have yet to enter into a field where this is not happening, where group think hasn't been at the same time the stability with which we pass on information and the rot that keeps innovation at bay. Convention and innovation are often in conflict and innovators are often persecuted....

On the negative side. There is nothing worse than a person who is forward thinking and who rises up in an area or field that hundreds or thousands of people have given their blood sweat and tears to, but who uses that insight to place themselves above others and to put others down. Connor has done this exactly. Instead of being grateful to be a part of it all, he sees himself as above it all, and better than it all. Pride and hubris are his sins... The way he acts and flaunts himself is something I really couldn't and wouldn't do for any amount of success... This is the great temptation and defect of the forward thinking and it leads to a rot in the heart of a man who falls into it. And it leads to a rot in the hearts of men who follow such individuals and are inspired by them....

Often enough there is tragedy and a fall from such heights that can serve as an example to all who would follow in these footsteps but often enough also there is not a fall, or when there is it is one that is not visible to the public eye...

The lesson to learn from Connor is that self belief and innovation and creativity are valuable qualities that can uplift the world in real and practical ways. The lesson also to learn is that if you find success in life dont separate yourself form others, dont put yourself above others, dont fall into pride and ego and become a shell of the man you were before all of the gleaming lights and stardom came your way.

Im sure no one read all of this stupidly long thread but also-- Fedor. In all seriousness he is the best example of how to blend success with grace and humility.

I have been a bit conflicted about Connor ever since his rise in MMA. There are some things I really appreciate and value about his approach and then there are some things I truly detest also.

On the positive side. I have a genuine admiration for Connors ability and willingness to think outside of the box. Without going into any detail I have to say that in a limited way I have done something similar in my own life. I have always been able to separate myself from whatever group or institution I am involved in and see it from a perspective that is less limited and involved so deeply that you cant see the forest for the trees. I have enjoyed something like real and true success in my chosen field by being innovative in this same way.

On this level with Connor I have to believe that he is and does see things that boxers are missing about boxing. I am certain that there are many things that the boxing world is taking for granted and that all or most boxers take for granted that Connor is seeing through and past and around. I have no idea if what Connor is seeing can make the difference for him with Floyd Mayweather (I doubt it) but no one could convince me that the fresh way he is approaching things and looking at things will not create real and true value.

I know this because in my own limited experience I have yet to enter into a field where this is not happening, where group think hasn't been at the same time the stability with which we pass on information and the rot that keeps innovation at bay. Convention and innovation are often in conflict and innovators are often persecuted....

On the negative side. There is nothing worse than a person who is forward thinking and who rises up in an area or field that hundreds or thousands of people have given their blood sweat and tears to, but who uses that insight to place themselves above others and to put others down. Connor has done this exactly. Instead of being grateful to be a part of it all, he sees himself as above it all, and better than it all. Pride and hubris are his sins... The way he acts and flaunts himself is something I really couldn't and wouldn't do for any amount of success... This is the great temptation and defect of the forward thinking and it leads to a rot in the heart of a man who falls into it. And it leads to a rot in the hearts of men who follow such individuals and are inspired by them....

Often enough there is tragedy and a fall from such heights that can serve as an example to all who would follow in these footsteps but often enough also there is not a fall, or when there is it is one that is not visible to the public eye...

The lesson to learn from Connor is that self belief and innovation and creativity are valuable qualities that can uplift the world in real and practical ways. The lesson also to learn is that if you find success in life dont separate yourself form others, dont put yourself above others, dont fall into pride and ego and become a shell of the man you were before all of the gleaming lights and stardom came your way.

Im sure no one read all of this stupidly long thread but also-- Fedor. In all seriousness he is the best example of how to blend success with grace and humility.

I read it, as I am not phobic of words. (and I can speed read)

My response...

...find REAL heroes to admire.

Conor cares about money.

The. End.

I read it, as I am not phobic of words. (and I can speed read)

My response...

...find REAL heroes to admire.

Conor cares about money.

The. End.

It's never that black and white. Money is a symptom of inner success which comes from discipline, self-belief, etc. all that good stuff. A poor person worships the symptoms (ie. "wow... cool....... lamborghini......... me want" *monkey noises*) a spiritually and mentally rich person will try to discern the root cause of success. Maybe Conor cares only about money now, but we can certainly look at the mindset that bought him his success up until now, and learn from it.

It's never that black and white. Money is a symptom of inner success which comes from discipline, self-belief, etc. all that good stuff. A poor person worships the symptoms (ie. "wow... cool....... lamborghini......... me want" *monkey noises*) a spiritually and mentally rich person will try to discern the root cause of success. Maybe Conor cares only about money now, but we can certainly look at the mindset that bought him his success up until now, and learn from it.

Holy fuck you are corrupted.

I have to believe that he is and does see things that boxers are missing about boxing. I am certain that there are many things that the boxing world is taking for granted and that all or most boxers take for granted that Connor is seeing through and past and around.

<{cruzshake}>

Stick to your mystery occupation.

Other than in buildup trash talk with other fighters, who are the people that Conor places himself above and feels better than? There is a reason he named his yacht "The 188". A working-class Joe who made it big and likes to stick it to the "upper class".

You want him to show respect to many boxers and experts who have shown him no respect from the jump?

He has been respectful to the game of boxing if you read between the lines and not so much into the trash talk.

Chasing money is not a noble endeavor.

Whereas being a good person is indeed admirable.

I can agree with you that chasing money is not a noble endeavor. When did I say it was?

a spiritually and mentally rich person will try to discern the root cause of success

Is there something wrong with this? Should a person who strives for success not try to determine the core values, the characteristics, the mindset behind being successful? And is a person whose mind, body, and spirit work in unison to accomplish a goal "corrupt" or "evil"? The entire point of my post is that money != success. I believe that money is a symptom, a side affect, of inner success. Anyone who has conquered themselves, conquered their vices, resisted temptation, practiced self-discipline is bound to be successful, and because money is often (but not always) a metric by which western society measures mastery of a certain craft, or profession, or passion, etc., successful people generally tend to end up with money.

I also believe that chasing only money for the sake of money/to satiate one's pride and setting money as an idol is a recipe for disaster. Again to be clear-- at no point did I ever say chasing money is a noble endeavor, and at no point did I ever say that money is what a "good" person strives for.

Yes this is a problem with a lot of conor haters, they just cant stand his pride and ego. But they fail to realize thats kinda of what drove him up there also.There isnt a lesson of failure to be learned from conor you are just making shit up. And fedor while being great has been surpassed by conor.

<{cruzshake}>

Stick to your mystery occupation.

I am not in way trying to imply I have attained a high level of success. My profession is something I dont talk about a lot in any circles.

I am not in way trying to imply I have attained a high level of success. My profession is something I dont talk about a lot in any circles.

Well you seem like a nice guy. But you need to realize how foolish you 'outsider magic insight' theory is. There are no back door solutions to the sport of boxing. Conor is a neophyte and it's going to show.

Well you seem like a nice guy. But you need to realize how foolish you 'outsider magic insight' theory is. There are no back door solutions to the sport of boxing. Conor is a neophyte and it's going to show.

You completely exaggerate and mis state my position on Connor and on outsider positions-- or else I did not clarify them enough due to space limitations. If you go and look at my post history on this fight you will see that I give Connor almost no chance at winning this fight. There are way too many points to go over into detail in a thread like this but I think how Connor did against Paulie proves my point. I think Paulie mostly told the truth about their exchanges by the way, and that he would have gotten exponentially better than Connor as he re sharpened his tools but the fact is Connor DID get Pauli's respect and did do things he did not expect and were somewhat effective....

Also I never said there were back door solution's or shortcuts and that's not what successful innovation and free thinking look like in the world. More often than not you get more resistance and have to be more than adequately effective for people to even be open to things that really question the status quo and if you fall, you fall alone.

Just two of many points to consider against my argument for the value of what he is doing.

1- If someone comes in from the outside and does things differently that others arent suspecting and are not training for does that value hold once it is not a surprise and can be studied and prepared for or is it just a gimmick?

2- If it is just the element of surprise that gains some success has anything of value really been brought to the sport as a whole that can be used and duplicate by others?

You completely exaggerate and mis state my position on Connor and on outsider positions-- or else I did not clarify them enough due to space limitations. If you go and look at my post history on this fight you will see that I give Connor almost no chance at winning this fight. There are way too many points to go over into detail in a thread like this but I think how Connor did against Paulie proves my point. I think Paulie mostly told the truth about their exchanges by the way, and that he would have gotten exponentially better than Connor as he re sharpened his tools but the fact is Connor DID get Pauli's respect and did do things he did not expect and were somewhat effective....

Also I never said there were back door solution's or shortcuts and that's not what successful innovation and free thinking look like in the world. More often than not you get more resistance and have to be more than adequately effective for people to even be open to things that really question the status quo and if you fall, you fall alone.

Just two of many points to consider against my argument for the value of what he is doing.

1- If someone comes in from the outside and does things differently that others arent suspecting and are not training for does that value hold once it is not a surprise and can be studied and prepared for or is it just a gimmick?

2- If it is just the element of surprise that gains some success has anything of value really been brought to the sport as a whole that can be used and duplicate by others?

To be able to innovate, you must first understand the problem at hand as well as anybody. There is no way around this.

So how did Conor acquire the insight to innovate on the sport of boxing? By spending a few months sparring with some journeymen talent and having zero actual elite level bouts to test his theories?

Contrary to what you and other fans think, Conor is not some once-in-a-lifetime tactical genius. Remember, he is the guy who managed to faceplant against an off-season Nate. He somehow failed to anticipate the problems posed by a good, rangy MMA boxer and on top of that, seemed completely unprepared to how his body would react to the rapid weight gain. Let me tell you: no top boxing gym would make a series of bush league mistakes like this.

Conor is not special. He's going to be another W on Floyd's record. You know it's coming, grind your teeth and accept it.

Back