Gen5 Glock Has Arrived!

Polymer handguns are trash. Sorry but I have to put that out there. The weak plastic bullshit that sells for a handgun now a days is killing me on the inside.
Nah. But you're entitled to your opinion regardless of how terrible. ;)

Has anyone picked up one of the new Gen 5 G19 or G17s?

How's the trigger feel? Overall ergo?

I've been carrying an XDS .45 for a few years now, and while the size is amazing (it fits in the pocket of fitted jeans) it sucks (for me, anyway) to shoot. I have huge hands and the bottom of the grip barely comes halfway on my ring finger. Not that comfort is any concern in an emergency situation, but I can't get anything close to the accuracy with it as I can my 1911s.

I can shoot consistent head size groupings with my 1911s at 25 yards but don't like to carry them due to the both the weight and the $ I've got tied up in them. If ever used in a defense shooting the gun will likely be evidence and perhaps not returned.

Which has had me looking at the full size XD and Glocks lately. They're light, cheap and the newest Glocks have got all the I's crossed and T's dotted it would seem ;)

The CZ P10 has been getting great reviews and was designed to compete with the Glock 19.

I think they're more comfortable to shoot but maybe that's just me? Seems like that little bit of flex the frame has kinda buffers the felt recoil and the reduced weight makes it feel easier to hold steadily with outstretched arms for longer.

Remember the first time I shot one at the police station I couldn't believe how nice it felt to shoot, more pleasant and less punishing than some airguns, imo. Made it really easy to aim
I suppose that varies greatly between models. I've shot some I love, but some others weren't so fun. It may have had nothing to do with the material and just the overall design.

I suppose that varies greatly between models. I've shot some I love, but some others weren't so fun. It may have had nothing to do with the material and just the overall design.

Yeah I can imagine different models would feel and perform differently. The one I shot was a police Glock 17 (9mm) and man it felt like a dream.
Other handguns I've shot seem to have a lot of vibration, despite their greater weight. The materials and design of a Glock eat that up in my experience. Some people wonder why Glock is so popular now but good accuracy, high reliability, natural point-ability, and great feel (and reasonable price) is a combo thats difficult to top.

Last edited:
Any reason you don't like the 9mm ? Its been proven an effective round . Obviously you are entitled to your feelings on the matter , but I feel like most of the time the " 9mm ain't enough " sentiment is based on some notion other than reality.

Effective rounds on target faster and more precisely is why the 40 is losing steam and the 9 is coming back into favor with lots of police and gov't entities.

9mm's are great proven effective weapons I have alot of friends that swear by them religiously! they're awesome and I can't say anything bad about them! It's all based of personal preference however, and for me personally? may very well be based on a notion and not reality.

However the city Im in and the area in which I've been located for quite some time is rough as fuck. Lotta drug addicts hopped up on crack and I've seen these guys show some seriously abnormal resistance to pain/physical trauma and I'd prefer something that helps even out the equation. Higher cal the better for me. Used to carry a 357 with a 2 inch barrel. I've literally seen guys high on sherm walk thru bullets and keep going it's fucking insane lol.

My personal preference on the matter stems a lot from a messy home defense situation I found myself in one night years ago, it just kind of hammered home the point that you want the quickest possible resolution to the problem. Like they say in racing "No replacement for displacement". But again thats just my take and what I find effective and useful for my personal scenario. I have a few 9mm's and I love em. I just prefer my 40 for carry... and an 870 for home (that one I'll swear by ;))

Did they ever fix the guide rod issues with the Gen 4 9mm Glocks?

Polymer handguns are trash. Sorry but I have to put that out there. The weak plastic bullshit that sells for a handgun now a days is killing me on the inside.
MarSOC uses the G19.

18tw5u.jpg

Oh good, yet another 1911 vs Glock pissing match.

Has anyone picked up one of the new Gen 5 G19 or G17s?

How's the trigger feel? Overall ergo?

I've been carrying an XDS .45 for a few years now, and while the size is amazing (it fits in the pocket of fitted jeans) it sucks (for me, anyway) to shoot. I have huge hands and the bottom of the grip barely comes halfway on my ring finger. Not that comfort is any concern in an emergency situation, but I can't get anything close to the accuracy with it as I can my 1911s.

I can shoot consistent head size groupings with my 1911s at 25 yards but don't like to carry them due to the both the weight and the $ I've got tied up in them. If ever used in a defense shooting the gun will likely be evidence and perhaps not returned.

Which has had me looking at the full size XD and Glocks lately. They're light, cheap and the newest Glocks have got all the I's crossed and T's dotted it would seem ;)

???
http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-champion-45acp/

Nah. Glocks have 45s that carry way more rounds. 30, 30S, 30SF, 21, 21SF,
41. 9-13 rd mags, almost double a 1911. They also take less maintenance and are less fickle than a 1911.
They're the smart man's 45acp. You can have your opinion though of course, even if it sucks.;)

I'm going to be on team whateverthefuckilike.
I'm a gun enthusiast.

I have a gen4 glock 19 and 17. Gonna have to get a gen5 g19!

No finger grooves, better finish, better barrels, ambi slide release, more robust spring funnel hole on the slide (sometimes they break), etc... improved in many ways IMO.

Dang my gun moneys is depleted for this year.

Maybe after tax returns. Already got a thousand rounds of 9mm to test it out!
<{1-69}>

I have a Gen 3 19 and the finger grooves have never been a problem for me. I'm also left handed and the slide release has never bothered me.
It's too bad Glock didn't keep the crescent slide serrations of the RTF2 Gen 3s. I loved the "fish gill" 19.

Does anyone else have a Glock with the Austrian proof mark on the slide? I'm not sure if they're more valuable or not but I have 2 Gen 3 19s with them that were bought in early 09. I've read they were imported over during the 08 panic.

G19_SlideMarking_small.jpg

Back