Best mmartist of all time who had terrible boxing?

GSP.

He had a good jab but other than that his hands were weaksauce.

Hmm... I'm gonna have to say Rowdy Rousey

khabib and jake shields for example

Honestly, Shields' striking can be effective sometimes...at least on the scorecards. He beat both Woodley and Akiyama by high-volume striking. This included some soft cotton leg kicks that landed on Woodley. Regardless, I think Jake deserved that decision. Woodley did next to nothing.

Jake's striking is like a C-level version of what the Diaz bros do--high-volume pitter patter. At least the Diaz boys can get cumulative damage and the occasional KO.

GSP.

He had a good jab but other than that his hands were weaksauce.

It was still effective enough to outstrike pretty much everyone he fought except Serra (first fight) and maybe Hendricks. He even got the best of prime BJ and Nick Diaz on the feet. So I wouldn't call GSP's boxing bad at all by MMA standards...he just doesn't have any KO power.

So, by that logic, Floyd Mayweather isn't a good boxer?

I'm not talking about his power.

I'm talking about his fluidity, his footwork, his head movement, his combinations, his angles, his technique on his punches, etc.

His boxing skills are weak sauce.

It was still effective enough to outstrike pretty much everyone he fought except Serra (first fight) and maybe Hendricks. He even got the best of prime BJ and Nick Diaz on the feet. So I wouldn't call GSP's boxing bad at all by MMA standards...he just doesn't have any KO power.

I don't think he got the best of Nick on the feet tbh.

He won that fight handily but it wasn't on the feet.

I love Matt Hughes but he might also qualify for terrible boxing. And he was the WW GOAT before GSP took it to the next level.

Jones had pretty below average boxing. He was just tall, had good kicks and good cardio.

Savage.

Jake Shields basically lost a kickboxing fight to a random guy in Bully Beatdown if I recall correctly.

I don't think he got the best of Nick on the feet tbh.

He won that fight handily but it wasn't on the feet.

It was at least a draw. When GSP started to gas and have trouble taking Nick down around the 3rd/4th round (something the old, pre-ACL injury GSP NEVER did), he was forced to stand and did fine on his feet. And Nick failed to be the aggressor.

Back