Columbus statue covered up in LA, Columbus Day removed and replaced by Indiginous Peoples Day

Should Columbus Day be removed and replaced with Indigenous Peoples Day?

• Total voters
R

ripskater

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017...atue-covered-on-first-indigenous-peoples-day/
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted this week to eliminate all references to Columbus Day as a county holiday, designating Oct. 12 as Italian American Heritage Day and creating a new Indigenous Peoples Day.

O’Farrell, who is a member of the Wyandotte Native American Tribe, led the drive on the City Council to replace Columbus Day and successfully argued that the explorer’s connection to brutality and slavery makes him unworthy of celebration.

What did Columbus ever legitimately do for the United States?
His "discovery" of America didn't land him on the continental US. His real name isn't even Christopher Columbus, It'd be like saying Leonardo Di Vinci as Leonard of Vinci

Last edited:
As someone with Native heritage (Pueblo and Cheyenne), I voted no.

History should not be scrubbed to ease the anxieties of those determined to be offended.

I would have no problem with indigenous day having its own day. I would celebrate it by grilling up some venison and baking some corn bread.

That's great, fuck Columbus. Speaking of which, HAPPY MOTHERFUCKING LEIF ERIKSON DAY!!!

leif-ericson-day-meme-41.jpg

History should not be scrubbed to ease the anxieties of those determined to be offended.

I would have no problem with indigenous day having its own day. I would celebrate it by grilling up some venison and baking some corn bread.
We can still acknowledge Columbus as a historical entity, doesn't mean we should celebrate him.

Yes. Columbus day is disgusting. He killed lots of natives. I refuse to stand to honor a man that oppressed people of color.

Sounds racist.

I thought liberals didnt want to celebrate the losers of a war with the US government? I'm confused

Without Columbus the story of America isn't told and the story of America is bloody

Your poll is a false dichotomy.

I fully support changing Columbus day with Italian American heritage day, like the article points out.

Can't just take the day off and be happy.

There is nothing historical when saying columbus was the first european to discover America.

Its a slap in the face to Scandinavians.

Why celebrate an inacurate holiday?

I thought liberals didnt want to celebrate the losers of a war with the US government? I'm confused

Without Columbus the story of America isn't told and the story of America is bloody
Liberals are specific to the confederacy. The confederacy are also traitors to the union.

Who gives a shit about Columbus day. Has nothing to do with America. A day to celebrate and commerate the native people's seems better than Columbus day, if you're gonna do a day at all.

To be fair to all races of any generation we should tear down all statues, monuments or public icons honoring any individual or action. We should also rename all current streets and buildings named after people. We should rename any holiday or festival that honors a person or group. Sanitize it ALL because someone somewhere is very likely offended by it regardless of what it is.

Fuck all this pussy footing about. Just wipe it all clean, generically name what remains. If they can't be happy or proud, you can't be happy or proud. If they can't honor a person, place or thing than you can't honor a person, place or thing.

Last edited:
That's great, fuck Columbus. Speaking of which, HAPPY MOTHERFUCKING LEIF ERIKSON DAY!!!

leif-ericson-day-meme-41.jpg
Yep Leif Erikson landed in what he called Vinland which is now the province of Newfoundland in Canada in 1000 AD. Stayed there for a few years and then left. Wrote that the natives were hostile to him and his crew. Unlike Columbus from all I've read he did not slaughter and massacre the native population

Yep Leif Erikson landed in what he called Vinland which is now the province of Newfoundland in Canada in 1000 AD. Stayed there for a few years and then left. Wrote that the natives were hostile to him and his crew. Unlike Columbus from all I've read he did not slaughter and massacre the native population

They killed some natives while they were there. But they were greatly outnumbered. They were able to secure some peace through trading but eventually kept getting attacked and thought the colony wasn't worth it.

Christopher Columbus was a piece of shit and has nothing to do with United States History.

I vote "yes".

Firstly, just tossing off some commentary here without having done any in depth reading on Columbus either defending or condemning him or the day created in his honor.

Who the heck celebrates Columbus day anyway? Well, for one, Italian Americans do--not, to wit, native Italians themselves (although he is highly regarded among them)--but among Italian Americans, the Genoese explorer Cristoforo Colombo is a pretty big deal. And if you are going to trash him, you should probably ensure that you are not in ear-shot of anyone of Italian descent (especially if they are over 40). From the little that I have heard/read--(I purposely haven't even wikied this yet, although I will after writing this)--, Columbus Day was created as a concession to Roman Catholic immigrants so they could have their own particular American holiday.

The reason I haven't read up on this yet is because I wanted to convey something of what I think your average American joe might think about Columbus Day, pre-indoctrination.

Again, who actually celebrates Columbus Day? I dare say if you placed your finger randomly on the map and went to that place and interviewed people walking on the street, practically none of them could tell you the date on which Columbus Day falls, much less that they have ever done anything by way of formal observation of it.

I am continually being reminded from leftist quarters of what an arse-heel Columbus was and that Columbus Day should be officially nixed altogether. Fine. By. Me. Take it up with the New York diocese. Me and my Protestant peoples couldn't give a hoot one way or the other. And if they say they do, I think that to some degree they might be disingenuously glomming onto an issue just to push back against the left, a tactical exercise that I don't always consider profitless, but in this case, I have to wonder.

Here is an amusing clip from Sopranos. One of the things I liked about the Sopranos, Hollywood mobster tropes aside, is the numerous scenes conveying something of the everyday life and culture of Italian Americans in general. I'm not saying that it wasn't at times 'caricaturized' but there were numerous really powerful scenes accurately dramatizing Italian American culture that had nothing to do with the mafia.

By the way I think Howard Zinn's People's History is one of the vilest pieces of propaganda to ever slink off the rolls of a book press.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back