Columbus statue covered up in LA, Columbus Day removed and replaced by Indiginous Peoples Day

Should Columbus Day be removed and replaced with Indigenous Peoples Day?

• Total voters
So what, specifically, would be celebrate on Indigenous Peoples' Day? A particular accomplishment? A set of accomplishments? Technological achievement? Fine cuisine? Impact on the world stage? Their history of slavery and human sacrifice? Their peaceful history of cooperation between the native groups in which acts of barbarism were absent until the Europeans showed up? Or simply that they were there?

I'm down for an Indigenous Peoples' Day. Now I'm just wondering - what, specifically, would we be celebrating about said peoples?

Last edited:
This is outrageous, Columbus was an important man and changed the world. Liberals shouldn't mess with history and protest statues.

By the way, have I ever told you how genocidal and aggressive communism and Islam are? Fucking college kids and Muslims, if they ever dare prop up a statue of a communist...

@ripskater Columbus was a Catholic I think, and I'm pretty sure you said Catholics are satanic. So you should be supporting an end to this satanic day!

Why not replace Columbus Day with Americo Vespucci day?

Instead of replacing Columbus day with an indigenous people day.
Why not scrap the holiday, everyone goes to work and the state, business and private people donate their income from that day to combat some of the issues indigenous people have.
I guess there are plenty of those.

Yes. Columbus day is disgusting. He killed lots of natives. I refuse to stand to honor a man that oppressed people of color.

You turning face in the WR?

So what, specifically, would be celebrate on Indigenous Peoples' Day? A particular accomplishment? A set of accomplishments? Their peaceful history of cooperation between the native groups in which acts of barbarism were absent until the Europeans showed up? Or simply that they were there?

I'm down for an Indigenous Peoples' Day. Now I'm just wondering - what, specifically, would we be celebrating about said peoples?

Bunch of fuckin savages who deserved to be genocided, I say.

In fact, when I walk down the street, if I see people who are smaller/weaker/less technically advanced than me, I just kick the shit out of them and expropriate all their stuff, fuck ya!

That's great, fuck Columbus. Speaking of which, HAPPY MOTHERFUCKING LEIF ERIKSON DAY!!!

leif-ericson-day-meme-41.jpg
Learned all about him from D.O.D schools. Soon as I got stateside it was all about the nina the pinta...etc

Bunch of fuckin savages who deserved to be genocided, I say.

In fact, when I walk down the street, if I see people who are smaller/weaker/less technically advanced than me, I just kick the shit out of them and expropriate all their stuff, fuck ya!

That's a totally fair and accurate representation of what I said and in no way caricatured straw man meant to push your own agenda. Well done, sir!

That's a totally fair and accurate representation of what I said and in no way caricatured straw man meant to push your own agenda. Well done, sir!
You just perfectly described your own shitty post. Congratulations, you just played yourself.

He never stepped one foot in America. Guy was a loser, and I don't celebrate losers.
He was looking for a different route to India and lucked out that he hit some islands in the Caribbean.
Hell one of his crew spotted the island first, but shit head Columbus claimed he did it.
If Italians want a holiday so bad, go back to fucking Italy.

You just perfectly described your own shitty post. Congratulations, you just played yourself.

Oh? So, will either you or @helltoupee then explain precisely what an Indigenous Peoples' Day would be celebrating? Seriously - what is it? Their accomplishments? Their history of slavery, human sacrifice, and a pretty shit record from a humanitarian standpoint? Their survival of a genocide? Them simply being there? Is it merely an act of atonement and not actually celebrating anything about the Indigenous peoples themselves - an "We're sorry!" holiday? What? I completely understand wanting to get rid of Columbus day. I am just wondering why we want to replace it with this particular holiday as I see it potentially celebrating a lot of really bad stuff too. Then again, we celebrate a lot of bad shit already. So why - why particularly - an Indigenous Peoples' Day?

You've both assumed that I'm not serious when I say I'm down with an Indigenous Peoples' Day. You are wrong and your massive, throbbing bias is splooging all over this thread in you both tripping over yourselves to be the first to virtue signal some caricature making it look like I want to celebrate genocide. Honestly, I'm down with getting rid of Columbus Day for a wide variety of really good reasons. I just want to know - if we replace it with Indigenous Peoples' Day, what would we be celebrating? Precisely? Because the history of the Indigenous Peoples is tangled up with a *whole* lot of stuff which we supposedly find utterly abhorrent and barbaric before the white man ever showed up.

If that question of "What would we be celebrating with Indigenous Peoples' Day?" gets you so defensive, I suggest you take a step back and analyze the foundation of whatever position you think you're pushing. It may not be grounded as virtuously as you might hope.

Last edited:
Columbus Day does not make any sense at all. What is the accomplishment that we are commemorating?

So I don't care if they get rid of it, or replace it with something that makes more sense.

The article says they are replacing it with "Italian Heritage Day" and adding an Indigenous Peoples Day.

That all sounds reasonable.

Yep Leif Erikson landed in what he called Vinland which is now the province of Newfoundland in Canada in 1000 AD. Stayed there for a few years and then left. Wrote that the natives were hostile to him and his crew. Unlike Columbus from all I've read he did not slaughter and massacre the native population

They didn't have enough gold and he didn't have enough men. England was a different story.

He never stepped one foot in America. Guy was a loser, and I don't celebrate losers.
He was looking for a different route to India and lucked out that he hit some islands in the Caribbean.
Hell one of his crew spotted the island first, but shit head Columbus claimed he did it.
If Italians want a holiday so bad, go back to fucking Italy.

giphy.gif

Back