Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

Watching RedZone for the first time this year as I wait for the Ravens game and it's occurring to me that literally every QB I've seen throw a pass looks better than Flacco does this year.

Taylor-Swift-Screaming.gif

If Dean Pees can call a decent game and adjust for the HUGE holes in the zone, Ravens should win this game no matter how Flacco plays, but I expect the offense to look better, too. We'll see. The defensive mismanagement has been almost criminal this year.

I think the player I took least into account as far as the defense losing was Zachary Orr because he really only stood out for one year, but without him our linebackers have been weak.

Not having Brandon Williams has been super noticeable again as the defense has to sort of hang on (without Pees adjusting anything for his absence... could bring tony jefferson down in the box for what he's good at, but no, he doesn't).

Good to see the offense picking up yards/points, VERY good. Hated how Marty took his foot off the gas to start the 3rd, but oakland scoring forced him to push the ball.

Ravens 30-17 Raiders
Season: 3-2

I feel like this was a good game for the team to get back on track. The offense looked functional, Flacco threw the ball deep a couple times successfully and made plays when he had to. I had some problems with the playcalling a couple times, but overall it was much better against a quality Raiders team and defense. The offensive line looked great against a really physical Raiders d-line, they had very little success attacking Flacco or stopping the run.

The defense, I feel like missing Brandon Williams is still hurting them a lot and Jimmy Smith looked hurt all game. I'm pretty sure he came out after returning that fumble for a touchdown and didn't come back in. He was dealing with a sore achilles, I can't remember seeing him after that first big play.

Happy to get a win!

Refocused: Baltimore Ravens 30, Oakland Raiders 17
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • OCT 9, 2017
GettyImages-859124156-copy.jpg
OAKLAND, CA - OCTOBER 08: Justin Tucker #9 of the Baltimore Ravens kicks a field goal during their NFL game against the Oakland Raiders at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum on October 8, 2017 in Oakland, California. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
The Baltimore Ravens jumped out to a super early 14-0 lead on the Derek Carr-less Oakland Raiders, and seemingly never looked back en route to a 30-17 victory. TE Vince Mayle actually carried in a two-yard touchdown on the Ravens first possession while CB Jimmy Smith pushed the lead to 14 with a scoop and score, 47-yard fumble recovery just 3:50 into the game. Javorius Allen punched in a one-yard score and Justin Tucker knocked home three field goals for Baltimore who held the Raiders to just 245 total yards on offense.

Without their star quarterback, Oakland turned to veteran QB EJ Manuel who completed 50 percent of his passes and had a touchdown to WR Michael Crabtree, but only totaled 159 yards through the air. RB Marshawn Lynchscored from three yards out to push the Raiders to within one possession in the third quarter, but neither offense would score a touchdown following Lynch’s touchdown run. With that, we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

TOP 5 GRADES:
T Ronnie Stanley, 83.8 overall grade

C Ryan Jensen, 82.8 overall grade

WR Mike Wallace, 82.0 overall grade

QB Joe Flacco, 81.6 overall grade

Edge Matthew Judon, 81.2 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
WR MIKE WALLACE, 82.0 OVERALL GRADE

Veteran WR Mike Wallace showed he still has jets as he ran right by Raiders CB Sean Smith on two occasions, catching two deep balls for 106 yardsagainst him. Wallace caught all three of his targets for 133 yards and QB Joe Flacco had a passer rating of 118.8 while targeting him. Ravens fans will hope to see more deep targets to Wallace in the coming weeks as it adds a dimension to the offense which has been lacking in previous weeks.

QB JOE FLACCO, 81.6 OVERALL GRADE
Flacco will have to tip his hat to his offfensive line as they provided him with plenty of protection against one of the top defensive fronts in the league. He was only under pressure on four of his 26 drop backs and was very accurate when given time, completing 72 percent of his throws for 204 yards with a clean pocket. Three of the four Ravens linemen had pass block grades above 80.0 with Austin Howard leading the way at 80.8.

EDGE MATTHEW JUDON, 81.2 OVERALL GRADE
Judon played one of the best games of his short career so far against the Raiders. Although he wasn’t great rushing the passer, with only one hurry, he was great in run defense and in coverage. In coverage, he was targeted twice, allowing no receptions and coming up with a pass defense. In run defense, he came up with two stops and a run defense grade of 83.8.

DI WILLIE HENRY, 80.3 OVERALL GRADE
Henry was an integral part of clogging up the middle for the Ravens defense on Sunday. Henry made four stops in run defense and had a run defense grade of 78.6. Henry also showed good awareness by knocking down two passes at the line of scrimmage and finished the game as the Ravens second-highest graded defender.

TOP 5 GRADES:
S Karl Joseph, 89.5 overall grade

OT Donald Penn, 83.6 overall grade

HB Marshawn Lynch, 83.2 overall grade

G Jon Feliciano, 82.6 overall grade

WR Michael Crabtree, 82.1 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
OT DONALD PENN, 83.6 OVERALL GRADE

Donald Penn was the best member on the Raiders outstanding offensive line against the Ravens. Although he did allow a sack to Terrell Suggs, which was the only pressure that he allowed on the day in 31 snaps of pass protection, good for an 80.5 pass protection grade. Penn was also great in run blocking with an 85.3 run blocking grade.

HB MARSHAWN LYNCH, 83.2 OVERALL GRADE
Playing only 27 snaps, 13 of which were rushing attempts, Lynch had the best game of his season against the Ravens. He wasn’t given a ton of running room in front of him by the Raiders offensive line, but he made the most out of it, with 28 of his 44 yards coming after contact. Lynch forced two missed tackles on the day and barreled his way into the end zone for a the Raiders lone score.

S KARL JOSEPH, 89.5 OVERALL GRADE
Second-year safety Karl Joseph was a force in the box for Oakland, his run defense grade of 90.9 led the team as he recorded five defensive stops and his run stop percentage of 11.4 puts him just behind Lions safety Glover Quin for second in Week 5. Joseph wasn’t targeted much in the passing game, the only completion he allowed he recorded a tackle for loss.

EDGE KHALIL MACK, 65.7 OVERALL GRADE
Mack was held largely in check in terms of pass-rushing as he didn’t record a pressure on the day in large part to Ravens QB Joe Flacco getting the ball out quickly. Flacco’s average of 2.3 seconds per attempt left little time for Mack to utilize his pass-rushing skills and certainly aided the Ravens offensive tackles throughout the game. Even though Mack was kept quiet in terms of rushing the passer, superstar athletes like him will show up in some way as his run defense grade of 87.1 was second on the team to go along with his team-high six defensive stops.

PFF GAME BALL: MIKE WALLACE, WR
wallace-game-ball.jpg

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-30-oakland-raiders-17

^^glad to hear this

Not good :(

Very good. Not much difference in performance from Eleumenor to Skura, but hopefully the injury is healed quickly.

Was interested in the 3rd round pick Chris Wormley's debut game... and he graded out at 71.1. Pretty good. I didn't notice him all game, really, had to watch a lower quality version of the game. It was very watchable, but it's hard to see names and jersey numbers and stuff.

I want to highlight this report on the secondary because it's all stuff that I wanted to see done (move Webb or try to get him off the field if you can), use Jefferson differently, and bring more pressure.
----
Secondary
Marlon Humphrey (53 snaps) started his first NFL game opposite Jimmy Smith with Carr in the slot. The only play he missed was the Raiders 3rd snap on which Cook fumbled. He missed a tackle on Crabtree which allowed 11 YAC (Q1, 6:42), but did not otherwise allow any big plays. He was fortunate that Manuel overthrew Crabtree in the end zone, which should have been a pitch-and-catch TD.

Brandon Carr (54 snaps) played the entire game and allowed his first TD as a Raven. Both of the big plays he allowed (41-yard TD to Crabtree, Q2, 9:20 as well as the 22-yard pass to Roberts Q3, 7:45) came when Manuel extended the play due to failure to contain Manuel. He’s not a speedster and requires an effective pass rush to complement his press skills.

Eric Weddle (54 snaps) had a mixed game, but finished strong. He drew a hold on Patterson (Q2, 5:18) that stalled a drive. He ducked under the pull of RG Feliciano to trip up Lynch for no gain (finished by Suggs, Q3,11:16). He violently dislodged a pass from Roberts for a PD on the Raiders final drive (Q4, 2:10). He led the team with 7 tackles, but also missed 1 that allowed Manuel the extra yardage required to convert a 3rd and 9 run (Q3, 4:19). The Raiders would pull within a touchdown on the next play.

Jimmy Smith (6 snaps) played the first series and exited with a sore Achilles after he returned Cook’s fumble for a TD. He was used on just 3 more snaps, all in a 4-CB dime alignment the Ravens have not previously used this season. Manuel did not throw at him in 5 coverage snaps.

Lardarius Webb (39 snaps) was used extensively after the injury to Jimmy Smith forced Carr back to his normal spot on the outside. Webb played several snaps as a cover-2 safety, which allowed Jefferson to play closer to the LoS, something Pees has rarely done this season, but that Jefferson did often in Arizona. One such play resulted in Jefferson’s sack (Q2, 3:23) which came on an uncontested rush off the slot. Webb also hustled to make the block on Manuel that helped finish Jimmy Smith’s TD return.

Anthony Levine (14 snaps) continues to make the most of limited opportunities. He stood in the left B-gap and rushed uncontested to sack Manuel for a loss of 8 (Q3, 10:31). It was his first career sack in 6 NFL seasons.

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/10/09/filmstudy/ravens-raiders-week-5-ej-manuel/

They tried to start all 3 outside CBs in-place of Webb with Carr in the slot, but JSmith's injury prevented that. Hill coming back will put him in the slot.

So, if Jimmy Smith gets healthy and with Jaylen Hill returning, Webb won't be needed nearly as much, but FINALLY Pees is calling different plays for Jefferson. I'm just excited they saw things weren't working and tried new shit, and they need to keep experimenting with the secondary because the players are there to be great, but they have to be used right.

Not saying this is a huge loss in terms of quality, but losing yet ANOTHER lineman obviously isn't good.

Could be good long-term bc Eluemenor is a rookie that they drafted and he's huge, and they wanted increased size on their line but apparently his technique is severely lacking. Maybe this playing time will be really good for him? IDK. Trying to make lemonade here :)

Carl Davis with the hamstring injury, Terrance West expected to miss several weeks

Last edited:
Are you just talking to yourself in here?

Are you just talking to yourself in here?

Do you have a problem with that?

I like talking about the team that I cheer for, keeping track of things I want to keep track of, this is a good format for it... if other people want to join in, they can, if not, they can not. It doesn't matter to me.

@iwhoopedbatman is the only other ravens fan on here, I think.

Do you have a problem with that?

I like talking about the team that I cheer for, keeping track of things I want to keep track of, this is a good format for it... if other people want to join in, they can, if not, they can not. It doesn't matter to me.

@iwhoopedbatman is the only other ravens fan on here, I think.
I don't was just curious cause I only ever see your name for the "last post" so to speak.

I don't was just curious cause I only ever see your name for the "last post" so to speak.

A while ago someone recommended I make a team thread, as opposed to posting updates in the NFL thread, so I did and I really enjoy finding out all this information and posting it helps me remember it. Once I got started I figured I would just chronicle the whole season :)

Last year, even with EJ Manuel in, the Raiders would have beaten them with Jimmy Smith injured like he was. He only played 7 total snaps. But besides a Carr coverage breakdown, the secondary held up fine.

This is what I saw before the season started and I'm like 'omg, the secondary was the problem, now its fixed, everything will be great,'

but still figuring out how to play new players and make up for injuries/losses... I think the defense will only get better as the season goes on. Yesterday was a big win.

There used to be that Mikey something or other, think he had a 52 (Ray Lewis) in his username too, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Hunter definitely does most of the work in this thread, but as a fan who doesn't get to see all of the games, it's greatly appreciated on my end.

There used to be that Mikey something or other, think he had a 52 (Ray Lewis) in his username too, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Hunter definitely does most of the work in this thread, but as a fan who doesn't get to see all of the games, it's greatly appreciated on my end.

#RavensFlock

LMAO

"Judon got the best feet" -- holy shit that's great

wow, nice

DL1GHsbXUAEZsXx.jpg:large

He's been playing better and better all season long. Really good to see.

I think Skura scored really high too, like 72.5, which was a HUGE improvement against a great d-line. Hopefully Eluemenor will keep up that kind of production. Before they had been about the same - Skura in the 40's, same w. Eluemenor, but a 30-40 point drop off is pretty fucking significant.

Really sucks to lose another D-lineman in Carl Davis, but we should be ok with Kaufusi and Wormley playing for him.

Williams not gonna play for another week at least, but it's GOOD that he's coming back.

Now this is the good news I have been waiting for!!! Jaylen Hill gonna play this week!! Woot woot!! He's gonna make the secondary so much better!!!

I don't think the bears game is a gimme, they rank higher than us in both defense and offense, lmao, and they DID beat the steelers. I guess no game in the NFL is a gimme.

fucking twitter on this site, I hate it -- check this:

h.ttps://twitter.com/BrandonW_66/status/918202096675119106

@iwhoopedbatman

YES!!

Back