Columbus statue covered up in LA, Columbus Day removed and replaced by Indiginous Peoples Day

Should Columbus Day be removed and replaced with Indigenous Peoples Day?

• Total voters
Nope, I never did (I went to a lower income public school, so I obviously cannot speak to the experience of everyone). We were taught that guys like Malcolm X were evil murderers, but Columbus was A-okay

But, if you haven't, I would urge you to look into the controversies re textbook material involving Texas Board of Education and other Texas administrative bodies and what they have been putting in, and taking out of, history books. The vast majority of public school textbooks come out of Texas, and the whitewashing is alarming. It's not to the level of that Oklahoma bill (erasing all "anti-patriotic" history), but it's still bad.

I will never leave the Northeast.... he'll I won't even leave Philly.

But it wasnt a calculated risk, it was a Homer .

And for Columbus perspective it sucked in the end, since the Islands were filled with nothing of worth and he couldnt generate enough profit to even pay back his debtors.

He pulled a Homer Simpson.

latest

If it was pure lunacy he wouldn't of had the kind of backing and participation that he did. These people weren't idiots. Seems like there is a need to hold the position he was a total idiot so I guess we can leave it at that.

Navigation is a big part of my life (love my sextant )and its development and history.

The Pinzón brothers and the discovery of AmericaEdit

Columbus and the Pinzón brothers arrive in America. Painting by Dióscoro Puebla (1862)
The participation of the Pinzón brothers was crucial to Columbus's first voyage, especially in that few were disposed to enlist with Columbus until Martín Alonso, a wealthy and famous shipbuilder in the Tinto-Odiel region, gave his support to the enterprise.[30] Once Martín Alonso gave his support, he undertook a veritable campaign on behalf of the undertaking. His support and that of his brothers and of other distinguished families of mariners in the region served to recruit the necessary crew: sailors from Palos, Huelva, and even from beyond Andalusia. The testimony in the pleitos colombinos indicates that the Pinzón brothers, above all Martín:

Yeah, color me shocked that reactionaries lovingly praise a pedophile torturer, if the alternative is having to yield to any change in society that is not to your comfort and/or benefit.

Calling people reactionaries while completely missing the fact, that the tweet I posted, was a joke.

I think it's time to get off your high horse.

I know it's hard to read things through when it's so fun to get outraged, but it was a tweet ffs. It's not that long.

Calling people reactionaries while completely missing the fact, that the tweet I posted, was a joke.

I think it's time to get off your high horse.

I know it's hard to read things through when it's so fun to get outraged, but it was a tweet ffs. It's not that long.

I either mistakenly quoted you or didn't read through the tweet.

Sorry. It was pretty funny tbh.

Yep Leif Erikson landed in what he called Vinland which is now the province of Newfoundland in Canada in 1000 AD. Stayed there for a few years and then left. Wrote that the natives were hostile to him and his crew. Unlike Columbus from all I've read he did not slaughter and massacre the native population

So from that information if he was hostile Leif would have not have had to go as he would be respected more.......

They serve in the US military at statistically higher rates than any other group of people, can we not at least respect that with a single day?

Is this true?

Whether true or not it changes nothing, CC changed the face of America and you and every American here in the manner you are due to him. I'm all for giving the original habitants their own day and educating everyone of the cost they payed for the world we live in now. https://qz.com/1095606/columbus-day-2017-all-the-countries-named-for-or-by-christopher-columbus/

Sticking your head up your own arse and disregarding the rules of the yesterdays world while trying to apply todays standards to than is ridiculous. Another poster touched on it but I'll take it a step further, why is western society held to todays standards for yesterdays actions yet yesterdays people aren't even held to yesterdays standards.

Do I feel sorry for any country colonised by (predominately European) western countries, of course. I feel a shit load sorrier for the other countries colonised by the now considered indigenous people as the results were far more brutal and final.

We should probably seriously consider putting an end to Islam's 2 holy days.

Basically in Muhammad's bandit travel-path, er, "immigration" through the Jewish land of Medina:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_Al-Fitr

"According to certain traditions, these festivals were initiated in Medina after the migration of Muhammad from Mecca. Anas reports:

When the Prophet arrived in Madinah, he found people celebrating two specific days in which they used to entertain themselves with recreation and merriment. He asked them about the nature of these festivities at which they replied that these days were occasions of fun and recreation. At this, the Prophet remarked that the Almighty has fixed two days [of festivity] instead of these for you which are better than these: Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha[8]"

So basically according to UN genocide standards, Muhammad, as a guest in Medina, told the Jews that their festive days were inferior and replaced them with his band of bandits, er, Allah's days.

In the end Muhammad slaughtered the men of Medina and took their wives and girls as slaves and wives for themselves. So the Medina's loss of their two holy/festive days was short-lived.

>

We're so fortunate to have all the Muslim activists in The West now doing what Muhammad did with the Jews' festive days. Hopefully the rest of the Medina story doesn't play out. But who knows, Christianity and other minority groups are still being genocided out of the ME, Africa and now Southeast Asia like has happened in that ideology's 1400 yr old tradition.

Why is my religion being bashed here? What has this got to with Islam.

Wow... That might be the most retarded post I've ever seen. Just stuff them fingers back in your ears and refuse to achknowledge things you don't want to hear. This thread is full of things like that from you. P.S., this is what's great about people like you. Because if that guy was a CIA agent talking about doing that same thing somewhere in Southeast Asia in the 60's, you'd be losing your mind about how disgusting America is.

This was 30+ years ago that this was filmed. The events he's talking about took place 20 years prior to this. There are longer, full versions you can watch.

You're trying to reason with the average American...... Don't, you're smarter than that. far right or left is irrelevant as they are generally the same.

I haven't checked what you postered yet but I liked it because everything is a nail when all you have is a hammer. Props though, you've done a bloody good job of inserting Facts(potentially) into the feelings that people are posting and are/appear to be a free thinker with their own opinion(dirty word in 2017)

I for one have appreciated your posts and the sore anuses they have produced. Good work.

Hmm.

For all of the built in failings - objectively speaking who advanced civilization, science, reason, art, and the course of human history more?

Those who followed Columbus or the developing tribal people's of the Americas?

To paraphrase a scholar on the subject: I would not want to trade a single chapter of Moby Dick for anything the Aztec's had to offer.

That is not to say that the less advanced people's of the Americans do not have valuable art, philosophy, and views to offer the world, however, only the greatest cynic or contrarian would argue one over the other when it comes to accomplishment and life.

Think about the guys who worked on Columbus' crew. They agreed to spend months doing back breaking labor under miserable conditions with no guarantee that they'd even live. Can you imagine how shitty their lives at home must have been for them to agree to do that? Instead of painting these people as a bunch of big meanies maybe we should consider the fact that 500 years ago life was no picnic for anybody.

I couldn't have said it better myself and 100% accurate. You've made the mistake of excusing the past on yesterdays standards instead of standards made today.

Besides the Vikings have a much more interesting story to tell about it too.

The Greenlanders saga is a good read. Basically the Vikings drew first blood. They were sailing down the St. Lawrence River and came upon some Natives on a beach. They hopped out and killed them for no reason, lol, then kept sailing on. The natives returned and got revenge but a few days later they were all trading with each other peaceably. Really goes to show how different people were in the Middle ages.

I don't remember good sir.

When I do remember, I generally try to give credit where credit is due.
That's so nonsensical as a measure of cultural worth, first of all you have Moby Dick which was written in 1851, so long after everything the Aztecs recorded. And then there's the fact that I would take the Hindu Vedas and Puranas over Moby Dick any day, and they predate it by thousands of years. I know that's a totally different Indian, but we don't consider Moby Dick and its like worthless because there's something valuable of its kind in a different part of the world.

That's so nonsensical as a measure of cultural worth, first of all you have Moby Dick which was written in 1851, so long after everything the Aztecs recorded. And then there's the fact that I would take the Hindu Vedas and Puranas over Moby Dick any day, and they predate it by thousands of years. I know that's a totally different Indian, but we don't consider Moby Dick and its like worthless because there's something valuable of its kind in a different part of the world.
I'm not sure he realized anybody was paying attention

Columbus wrote in his personal journals about raping young Native girls and roasting other Natives alive. While I always regarded him as an indefensible piece of shit, I have a college friend who ended up studying Columbus and teaches courses on him, and he enlightened me to just what an exceptional piece of shit Columbus was.

Yeah, color me shocked that reactionaries lovingly praise a pedophile torturer, if the alternative is having to yield to any change in society that is not to your comfort and/or benefit.

No doubt for the first paragraph at all.

By the same token 99.99% of all cultures of the world were complete shit by todays standards and in less than 100 years the next gen of left wing visionaries will want you hung for bigotry. He lived 450 years ago in a different world with different standards, judge him by his accomplishments on yesterdays tech not todays ethics with todays tech

The Greenlanders saga is a good read. Basically the Vikings drew first blood. They were sailing down the St. Lawrence River and came upon some Natives on a beach. They hopped out and killed them for no reason, lol, then kept sailing on. The natives returned and got revenge but a few days later they were all trading with each other peaceably. Really goes to show how different people were in the Middle ages.
There's definitely a degree of barbarism everywhere you went at that time. Shit, my ancestors in Wisconsin would eat their enemies and parade their heads around with pride. Columbus was considered an asshole even in that time by his peers though and showed to be incapable of diplomatic solutions. There's really no reason to celebrate him in particular.

Back