Firearms: Negligent Or Accidental Discharge Stories.

.454 Alaskan FTW

Long read, but worth it:

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna.

Friends,

Have I got a story for you guys!
King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I
Thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning
(Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking
My dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) for the
Record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods, no
Bow hunting, no stealth occurring....

I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge-a huge brownie,
Ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no
Woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you
Think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in
about one-second! Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the general
Direction, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?)
Rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was
Shooting from-I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the
Last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my
First shot!

It was a prehistoric old boar-no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000
Lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear-its
Paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! It's always some other smuck, Right?

Well, no bull-I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a Knot.

Feels like I did 10000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked for
An hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers
Conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out-cant even put that
feeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!

Exactly. I will say that it was in soldotna alaska so people are close to bear country, but dang.

It was a Freedom Arms so it probably had a 7" barrel. They have a 5shot cylinder and will fire if the hammer his hit without the the trigger engaged.

The story belo happened really close to Soldotna so some people carry a little extra power.
.454 Alaskan FTW

Story and picks below.
Jeez that's nuts.

I guess location aids in understanding why someone was packing that gun. Still though.

Jeez that's nuts.

I guess location aids in understanding why someone was packing that gun. Still though.

That's one reason I picked up the Alaskan 454. It is somewhat concealable but is capable of handling anything up here and is really agile. Also totally safe if dropped on hammer.

.454 Alaskan FTW

Long read, but worth it:

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna.

Friends,

Have I got a story for you guys!
King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I
Thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning
(Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking
My dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) for the
Record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods, no
Bow hunting, no stealth occurring....

I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge-a huge brownie,
Ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no
Woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you
Think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in
about one-second! Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the general
Direction, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?)
Rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was
Shooting from-I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the
Last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my
First shot!

It was a prehistoric old boar-no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000
Lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear-its
Paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! It's always some other smuck, Right?

Well, no bull-I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a Knot.

Feels like I did 10000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked for
An hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers
Conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out-cant even put that
feeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!

Spoiler tags on dead animals would be appreciated. It gets me in the feelz. :(

Spoiler tags on dead animals would be appreciated. It gets me in the feelz. :(

Sorry about that. Being a firearms thread didn't crosss mind.

This animal wouldn't have made it through the winter. Old, no teeth, no fat, and that's the reason he charged a human. He had dinner plans. Usually browns don't eat people. Blacks are more likely to attack a human for food.

Sadly a Jr high boy was killed and partially eaten by a black bear while on a cross country race this spring. It happend not to far from Anchorage .

Sorry about that. Being a firearms thread didn't crosss mind.

This animal wouldn't have made it through the winter. Old, no teeth, no fat, and that's the reason he charged a human. He had dinner plans. Usually browns don't eat people. Blacks are more likely to attack a human for food.

Sadly a Jr high boy was killed and partially eaten by a black bear while on a cross country race this spring. It happend not to far from Anchorage .

No worries man. It's probably not in the rules but we're not all hunters and dead bears especially bum me out.

About a month or two ago a little girl here in Florida reached into her grandmothers purse to get some candy and grabbed granny’s .22 instead. Shot herself.

No worries man. It's probably not in the rules but we're not all hunters and dead bears especially bum me out.
I think Bear is the only animal I would ever struggle to hunt simply because I'd be too bummed out if I was successful. Lions (mountain and African), wolves (even though I have owned two Akitas and want a Malamute), and other predators though? Fuck 'em... if I had a good guide and a decent crew I'd shoot those fuckers in a heartbeat. Bears though.....

It's like Steve Rinella said in an episode where he goes Grizzly hunting in AK "I want that big massive boar Grizzly with the curled in feet and everything but I just know I'll never see it.. which means I get to spend all my grizzly hunts watching bears which is awesome"

I think Bear is the only animal I would ever struggle to hunt simply because I'd be too bummed out if I was successful. Lions (mountain and African), wolves (even though I have owned two Akitas and want a Malamute), and other predators though? Fuck 'em... if I had a good guide and a decent crew I'd shoot those fuckers in a heartbeat. Bears though.....

It's like Steve Rinella said in an episode where he goes Grizzly hunting in AK "I want that big massive boar Grizzly with the curled in feet and everything but I just know I'll never see it.. which means I get to spend all my grizzly hunts watching bears which is awesome"

I'm with you on that; I don't mind bears though I do prepare for them here in California. Opportunistic carnivores though? Fuck them, no sympathy.

Not an ND but eye opening none the less. Was on a range in the army, finished my mag and the bolt locked to the rear. I waited for everyone else to finish up, and to hear the command to go check our targets. As soon as we got the command I started walking towards my target. Before I got there I started thinking, my bolt locked to the rear so the chamber must be empty but I didn't actually visually inspect the chamber. I walked back, peeked inside and low and behold there was a live round in that mother fucker.

I have only ever had it happen to me once. I'm super careful. Check every gun handed to me quick, trigger control when I'm handling loaded or unloaded weapons, etc. This one could easily fall under the "not my fault" category, but I'd had two weird occurrences with this gun before so I should have sent it in sooner if I was being fully responsible. I had thought it was 'factory gunk' so I took it down beyond a field dressing to clean it out OCD well

My new 9mm had given me two prior instances where it wouldn't reset the firing pin. I'd pull the trigger, gun would fire, slide would expel the casing and rack in a new round, but I couldn't pull the trigger again because the trigger was already back and firing pin was forward (not cocked) judging by the striker indicator little peep hole. Racking the slide would take out the just fine live round, put in a new one, and reset the trigger/striker in the process and I could continue shooting for the day. This I thought was factory crap so I disassembled the striker portion and cleaned it all out and did indeed find a lot of grease so I thought that was it. Re-applied rem oil for lube.

Well, one day shooting at my friend's place rather than at the range in my town. I loaded a mag while the slide was back, hit the slide release, and BANG! gun went off as soon as the slide closed around the chamber. Most fucked up thing I've ever had happen around a gun. Thankfully, weapon was pointed well down range.

I sent the gun in to Ruger, they replaced the entire striker assembly, and I've never had any type of malfunction, misfire or otherwise, again with it. Hindsight, it was probably that trigger reset issue meaning the slide slid forward with the firing pin extended and that was enough to set off the round

A few months ago a nine year old shot his three year old sister with an unsecured fireman belonging to his mother's dipshit hillbilly boyfriend.

Went to a public range where a group of noobs were being trained by some old guy the basics

I probably should have left when i saw that, but within a few minutes some guy had shot his gun into the ground right in front of him.

He was like atleast 4 feet behind the firing line. Just complete lack of trigger discipline.

Earlier that day i saw a sketchy attempted straw purchase as well

Back