Nate Diaz finishes Ferguson easily in 5 rounder

Thomson is a great grappler who got a takedown on Diaz, he also was landing leg kicks which lead to the head kick finish. RDA is a better grappler than he is striker, he also landed leg kicks and used his grappling to beat nate.

Conor did beat nate because he is a better boxer, that doesn't mean every striker can beat nate.
Thomson at one point was one of those guys that could literally beat anyone on any given night. He doesn't get respect these days but he was a great fighter In his prime.

You don't need to box Nate. All you need to do is destroy his lead leg.

There's been a template to beat the Diaz Brothers for years because they never even try and evolve whatsoever.

This is true, but Conor is primarily a boxer and it's never smart to throw kicks to a guy who can take you down and submit you pretty easily on the ground.

Again, it's all about stylistic matchups

Thomson is a great grappler who got a takedown on Diaz, he also was landing leg kicks which lead to the head kick finish. RDA is a better grappler than he is striker, he also landed leg kicks and used his grappling to beat nate.

Conor did beat nate because he is a better boxer, that doesn't mean every striker can beat nate.
Thomson landed like 3 head kicks in that fight. Conor beat Nate because he added leg kicks which he never used before not because he is a better boxer. If they both only boxed Nate would probably win because Conor would gas.

Thomson at one point was one of those guys that could literally beat anyone on any given night. He doesn't get respect these days but he was a great fighter In his prime.

Oh ya, one of the most well rounded fighters in the weight class for a very long time. These guys don't understand that.

You want to know something interesting? Tony has a higher striking defense % than Conor and Nate. Tony fought 5 rounds comfortably at the highest altitude the UFC has ever been to against a pressure fighter that destroyed Nate from bell to bell. His cardio will hold up. To say Nate finishes him easily is laughable. Nate would have an easier time finishing Conor than he does with Tony.
I don't think the RDA that fought Tony was the same one that fought Nate to be honest. Fight also happened almost 3 years ago. A lot has changed since then. MMA math doesn't work, context Is everything.

Nate Tony would be a great fight though. Tough fight for both guys, probably would be a war.

Thomson landed like 3 head kicks in that fight. Conor beat Nate because he added leg kicks which he never used before not because he is a better boxer. If they both only boxed Nate would probably win because Conor would gas.

I can't argue with that, when they're both fresh Conor is clearly the better boxer, even tho nate is still a great boxer, but the cardio issue is a huge factor.

Oh ya, one of the most well rounded fighters in the weight class for a very long time. These guys don't understand that.
Indeed. He was robbed against bendo for the title iirc as well

edit: nvm, guess he'd just lost the title to pettis. lol

This is true, but Conor is primarily a boxer and it's never smart to throw kicks to a guy who can take you down and submit you pretty easily on the ground.

Again, it's all about stylistic matchups

The threat of Nate taking you down is pretty low.

That's why he's gatekeeper. He has good boxing but shit kickboxing, he has good Jiujitsu but shit wrestling. Neither of the Diaz Brothers even try and work on their mistakes and so they're stuck giving people the middle finger and hoping people brawl with them.

I don't think the RDA that fought Tony was the same one that fought Nate to be honest. Fight also happened almost 3 years ago. A lot has changed since then. MMA math doesn't work, context Is everything.

Nate Tony would be a great fight though. Tough fight for both guys, probably would be a war.
I probably shouldn't have said "that destroyed Nate from bell to bell." The point that I was making in that sentence was more so that he fought 5 rounds comfortably in Mexico City, the highest altitude the UFC has ever been to, against a pressure fighter so his cardio would hold up if he fought Nate.

I can't argue with that, when they're both fresh Conor is clearly the better boxer, even tho nate is still a great boxer, but the cardio issue is a huge factor.
Conor's the better boxer on paper but what makes the Diaz bros so dangerous as boxers Is they just don't stop coming. They're relentless and turn It up when they sense you slowing down. They walk through all of your punches like they're nothing. Maybe technically they might not be the best by boxing standards but those attributes make them very dangerous. Particularly for a guy like Conor.

Fighters who are just zombies like that are scary as hell.

I probably shouldn't have said "that destroyed Nate from bell to bell." The point that I was making in that sentence was more so that he fought 5 rounds comfortably in Mexico City, the highest altitude the UFC has ever been to, against a pressure fighter so his cardio would hold up if he fought Nate.
Yeah Tony has beastly cardio, without a doubt. He probably even rivals nick and Nate In that sense.

All respect to Tony for winning In that fashion against a former champ, that definitely wasn't the best RDA we've seen though.

Conor's the better boxer on paper but what makes the Diaz bros so dangerous as boxers Is they just don't stop coming. They're relentless and turn It up when they sense you slowing down. They walk through all of your punches like they're nothing. Maybe technically they might not be the best by boxing standards but those attributes make them very dangerous. Particularly for a guy like Conor.

Fighters who are just zombies like that are scary as hell.

.... or you can just use kicks and beat them easily.

That's not really how you analyze fighters.

Doing that kind of shit Is equivalent to MMA math.

Same kind of people Bring up BJ's record, doesn't change the fact that he's one of the best fighters to ever fight in MMA.

Nate's last LW run was over 3 years ago, It's pretty clear that ever since the Michael Johnson fight..after Nate took off a year because he wanted more money, he's been a different fighter. So, his previous LW run should be taken with a grain of salt. Judging what we've seen from Nate In his past few fights Is the only thing that will accurately assess where he currently stands as a fighter and In the division.

Kevin Lee got knocked out by a jiu jitsu guy less than 3 years ago as well. Right now he's one of the best fighters In the world and probably a future champ. So again, using fights and records from years ago to analyze the current version of fighters Is just bad logic.
Nate's In his prime and he's a beast right now. I come from a boxing backround and I can tell you his boxing has Improved leaps and bounds ever since that Michael Johnson fight. Dude Isn't even the same fighter.

But yeah, when you're blinded by bias..whether Irrational hate or love, shit analysis Is to be expected.

I get your point, but the comparison really isn't valid between Lee getting knocked out three years ago and the fighter we've seen out of Nate in his last three really isn't comparable. We've seen Lee improve as a fighter over that span in his striking and his ground game. Nate, we've seen him beat a highly capable, but inconsistent, M. Johnson and fight Conor, who is nearly the tailor made opponent for a Diaz bro.

We've seen improvement from Ferguson as well, though not as drastic, and I've never questioned if Tony took a fight just for a payday, the exact opposite can be said of Nate and his last four fights.

I get your point, but the comparison really isn't valid between Lee getting knocked out three years ago and the fighter we've seen out of Nate in his last three really isn't comparable. We've seen Lee improve as a fighter over that span in his striking and his ground game. Nate, we've seen him beat a highly capable, but inconsistent, M. Johnson and fight Conor, who is nearly the tailor made opponent for a Diaz bro.

We've seen improvement from Ferguson as well, though not as drastic, and I've never questioned if Tony took a fight just for a payday, the exact opposite can be said of Nate and his last four fights.
I'm just using that as an example. It's just silly to use fights from that long ago when analyzing fighters. Only the most recent fights are going to paint an accurate picture.

It's just something that people do to discredit Nate just so they can Indirectly hate on Conor at this point.

Which Isn't fair or respectful to Nate, nor does It accurately assess where he currently stands in the division and as a fighter.

.... or you can just use kicks and beat them easily.
Silva beat him, but Nick did handle the kicks quite well. Put up a decent fight as well against a juiced up silva.

Conor threw a lot of kicks at Nate but he's a very good kicker, along with being a superior boxer.

Throwing leg kicks Is definitely something to Incorporate Into a strategy against either Diaz bro since their style on the feet Is so boxing dominant and heavy on the lead leg but I don't think It's quite as easy as you make It sound

Well, conor groupies are one thing.

Trying to argue that Nate Is this horrible fighter / gatekeeper because of his LW run which was over 3 years ago Is equally as Irrational and ridiculous though. Nate's In his prime, he might not beat everyone In the top 5..particularly guys like Khabib and Lee, but he'd give almost anyone In the world a tough fight at this point.

You just said why would someone call nate a gatekeeper , then described him as the very definition of a gatekeeper in the next sentence .

Nate the "gatekeeper" can beat tony or conor on any given night and would wreck khabib or Kevin lee.

The only people to make Nate look bad have been extremely well rounded fighters like RDA, Bendo, or Thomson who are all great strikers and great offensive grapplers and who all have a variety of different weapons on the feet including leg kicks.

No, Conor was tired from throwing everything in every punch in the first fight, then he got hurt with a punch and tried to land a takedown to clear the cobwebs and he got submitted.

What happened in the rematch btw? Conor fought smarter and dropped nate multiple times and won, right? No one ever seems to remember the rematch around here
Oh, tired? Excuse, he knew how long the fight lasts: the same for both fighters.

Nate won the rematch.
Welcome back Conor fans.

Back