Columbus statue covered up in LA, Columbus Day removed and replaced by Indiginous Peoples Day

Should Columbus Day be removed and replaced with Indigenous Peoples Day?

• Total voters
You guys seem obsessed with Zinn, an author i never read.

Im basing my opinions on his attrocities on the book by historian Consuelo Varela.

All of what is taught about Columbus in the American/Western education school system is based off of his garbage book. It's all lies.

You don't seem to understand, Rod. His landing in Central America, by the agreement of the Capitulations of Santa Fe entitled Columbus and his heirs to 1/10 of all the profits to come out of what would eventually become New Spain. As in all of the New World. They weren't just talking about Haiti. Yes, I'm aware that he did not get to Central America until his third or fourth voyage, but that was how that agreement worked. He found a massive and wealthy land. He wasn't just entitled to wealth from just the land he was standing on, but to that land and all land that it touched. We're talking billions and billions of dollars. You can bet your behind that people would be looking to screw him out of that. You'd have to be monsterously naive to not think that.

Colon never reached Mexico or the American continental landmass for that matter. Why was he entitled?

Also it took several decades to get to New Spain, and even if Colon had reached the mainland, considering his shenanigans he would had been obliterated by the large empires there.

Still even the Aztec Empire lacked highly valuable resources, it took a while for New Spain to be profitable.

All of what is taught about Columbus in the American/Western education school system is based off of his garbage book. It's all lies.

I never seen Zinn book being translated.

Consuelo Varela found the Bobadilla report in 2005 in the Spanish royal archives, they confirm Columbus was an asshole.

Colon never reached Mexico or the American continental landmass for that matter. Why was he entitled?

Also it took several decades to get to New Spain, and even if Colon had reached the mainland, considering his shenanigans he would had been obliterated by the large empires there.

What "shenanigans" would that be?

Secondly, he landed in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Hondoras and Panama on his fourth voyage and hand explored most of costal Panama on his third. According to the agreement, it isn't just the ground he lands on, but all ajoining lands. That's sort of means North and South America, Rod. On top of that the man who was Columbus' replacement as Governor was killed in a Hurricane that sunk the first Treasure fleet as it headed around the islands.

What "shenanigans" would that be?

Secondly, he landed in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Hondoras and Panama on his fourth voyage and hand explored most of costal Panama on his third. According to the agreement, it isn't just the ground he lands on, but all ajoining lands. That's sort of means North and South America, Rod. On top of that the man who was Columbus' replacement as Governor was killed in a Hurricane that sunk the first Treasure fleet as it headed around the islands.

Tried to force the Indians to produce profitable things as quickly as he could.

I can just imagine Columbus snubbing the local warlods and then trying to enslave a local village.

I never seen Zinn book being translated.

Consuelo Varela found the Bobadilla report in 2005 in the Spanish royal archives, they confirm Columbus was an asshole.
\

I know who she is. It's easy to judge people who lived 500 years ago by the standards of today. It also, if you're paying attention, counters to an extent Zinn's story. The man whose ears and nose he cut off was a man who stole corn from and if I remember correctly murdered some local Natives. That's a higly unusual thing for a man who stands accused of no less than genocide against those same people to punish someone for, don't you think?

This mud fling post that contributes nothing is especially ironic and hilarious, considering that you've long since left the thread and closed your ears to any sort of real history that you don't want to hear.
That was a joke, I hope no one flings any mud. I actually used you as a positive example in this thread and explained why I stopped posting in it.

And?

And you can imagine him doing that why?

Because thats what he did, he only had profits in mind and was too dumb and too proud to do otherwise.

Just see how weak ass he was at trying to stop a mutiny, he was no Cortez.

\

I know who she is. It's easy to judge people who lived 500 years ago by the standards of today. It also, if you're paying attention, counters to an extent Zinn's story. The man whose ears and nose he cut off was a man who stole corn from and if I remember correctly murdered some local Natives. That's a higly unusual thing for a man who stands accused of no less than genocide against those same people to punish someone for, don't you think?

But we are judging him by his time, thats why he was chained.

That was a joke, I hope no one flings any mud. I actually used you as a positive example in this thread and explained why I stopped posting in it.

I must have missed that. My apologies.

I must have missed that. My apologies.
No worries. I don't necessarily agree with you, but you've introduced a lot more grey in my black and white perspective on the subject, so I appreciate your posts.

No worries. I don't necessarily agree with you, but you've introduced a lot more grey in my black and white perspective on the subject, so I appreciate your posts.

That's the real problem with history, regardless of which side of the isle it comes from. We've lost any ability to look at these people as just that, people. They're people who lived a long time ago who didn't look at the world the way we did and didn't have the same benifit of the knowledge of the world that we have now. Yes, history is filled with barbarism, but that just is what it is in my opinon.

That's the real problem with history, regardless of which side of the isle it comes from. We've lost any ability to look at these people as just that, people. They're people who lived a long time ago who didn't look at the world the way we did and didn't have the same benifit of the knowledge of the world that we have now. Yes, history is filled with barbarism, but that just is what it is in my opinon.
Absolutely. But also a person's take on history is usually an indicator of how they see the current world, in the way it was formed, the way it operates, their ideologies, and the sources of information they trust to build their narrative. With that, it becomes very politicized with a modern perspective, while ignoring the context of the time. Then you take in to consideration that history has been passed down through that filter for every generation since the event actually happened, and you realize history is always changing and is always missing parts of the full story.

Absolutely. But also a person's take on history is usually an indicator of how they see the current world, in the way it was formed, the way it operates, their ideologies, and the sources of information they trust to build their narrative. With that, it becomes very politicized with a modern perspective, while ignoring the context of the time. Then you take in to consideration that history has been passed down through that filter for every generation since the event actually happened, and you realize history is always changing and is always missing parts of the full story.

I completely agree. This specific story is a prime example of that. How does an Italian peasant in the employ of a Spanish Monarchy get saddled with the name "Christopher Columbus" to begin with? Because over time the white, mainly English Protestants who made up the United States weren't comfortable with an Italian/Spanish Catholics being responsible for them being where they were in the first place. So the came up with a story that was more politically comfortable for them to tell. Anybody with an objective eye for history can see these things, and they're everywhere. Why do we not talk about the Byzantine Empire in the Western Education system? Why is it even called "the Byzantine Empire" to begin with? Because the Vatican couldn't have people knowing the real story of the Roman Empire. Just look at the untruths the Western Education system teaches children about WWII. I'm having one of those conversations right now. Can't have your kids growing up thinking those dirty Commies won WWII since they're the enemy now. Have to craft a new, propaganda filled narrative to fit and drive the ideology that we wish to push.

His personal journals that were written in Greek and Latin? you apparently missed that part, huh? You and I have talked about this exact subject before. You were going to "talk to your college friend and get back to me" You shockingly never did.

I very much doubt I ever said this, as I would never bother a friend with any of your claims.

However, I did just verify that the particular journal entry I was just thinking of was actually a letter from Michele de Cuneo, a compatriot of Columbus, and not Columbus himself.

I very much doubt I ever said this, as I would never bother a friend with any of your claims.

However, I did just verify that the particular journal entry I was just thinking of was actually a letter from Michele de Cuneo, a compatriot of Columbus, and not Columbus himself.

Dude, you're easily the worst liar in these threads. It's pathetic.

Back