Is "Thug" a Racist Word?

Is "Thug" a racist word?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So language doesn't evolve?
it can
but when the definition of thug is 'a violent person, especially a criminal'

with synonyms of ruffian, hoodlum, vandal, gangster, criminal.......

it hasn't in this context

I use hoodlum, rapscallion, ne'er do well, all the time.

it can
but when the definition of thug is 'a violent person, especially a criminal'

with synonyms of ruffian, hoodlum, vandal, gangster, criminal.......

it hasn't in this context
That's what this thread is about. We're analyzing the word to see if it's changing to meet a more specific meaning in this context.

That's what this thread is about. We're analyzing the word to see if it's changing to meet a more specific meaning in this context.
to the average population, no it's not changing

to racists that use, and have probably always used it to refer to one specific group of people: probably so

to the average population, no it's not changing

to racists that use, and have probably always used it to refer to one specific group of people: probably so
I'm not speaking about the general population, I have used the word thug to describe the boys in the article from the OP in this thread. My point is the media is redefining the word for the way they use it. There's a difference there.

Thing is, when the media starts using buzzwords like this consistently, the meaning starts to change in the minds of the public too.

I'm not speaking about the general population, I have used the word thug to describe the boys in the article from the OP in this thread. My point is the media is redefining the word for the way they use it. There's a difference there.

Thing is, when the media starts using buzzwords like this consistently, the meaning starts to change in the minds of the public too.
what media?
I find it hard to believe that any org outside of Fox News or maybe Breitbart/Daily Beast would routinely only use the word to describe one segment of the population

Surely the panderers at EVERY OTHER MAJOR news outlet wouldn't hurt their base like that

It's probably different in the states but where I live "thug" can be applied to anyone who acts thuggish. Black gang members and white skinheads equally.

what media?
I find it hard to believe that any org outside of Fox News or maybe Breitbart/Daily Beast would routinely only use the word to describe one segment of the population

Surely the panderers at EVERY OTHER MAJOR news outlet wouldn't hurt their base like that
I don't have the time to collect evidence for you from ever source of news online. I'm definitely not alone and I was far from the first to point it out. But if you disagree based on this point, I'm not going to fight you on it. Just agree to disagree.

The aunt of the degenerate thug should be more worried about the thuggery.

So should we.

Yeah, she reminds me of the aunt of the thug who got shot robbing a woman. She claims that the woman was racist and should be punished for shooting her nephew. He was only robbing her house to get money for school clothes. He was basically a saint.{<huh}

So many broken people. Urban ghettos have a massive cultural problem.

And no, the word "thug" is not exclusive to blacks. Liberals need to stop pretending it is.

Nothing is "exclusive" but stop pretending that 9/10 it's used in reference to a black man.

This famous meme wouldn't work as a joke if race wasn't an issue, it's only funny because the word is being used to describe a white guy (which is unexpected and hence humorous).

thug-life_o_1021371.jpg

Nothing is "exclusive" but stop pretending that 9/10 it's used in reference to a black man.

This famous meme wouldn't work as a joke if race wasn't an issue, it's only funny because the word is being used to describe a white guy (which is unexpected and hence humorous).

thug-life_o_1021371.jpg

'Thug Life' is popularized by the rap industry. The gangsta lifestyle or whatever. For sure it is associated and popularized by primarily black rappers but it is also a niche thing. They can't co-opt a perfectly good and universal word like 'thug', although there is an association there.

If you don't want to be called a thug, then do not act like one.

Never heard anyone call Denzel a thug.

Everything is sexist
Everything is racist
Everything is homophobic

Racist against what race?

There are red, yellow, black, white and brown thugs.

Back