Honestly.... is the gi really a good idea ?

I'm not talking about murderer, necessarily. If you're at the ATM and some twerp grabs your wrist as you're pulling out your cash, he's probably not looking to kill you and there are many simple techniques that will take him off his feet.

That post was response to you saying "sharing self defense knowledge could save someone's life". But again, the main point of my post was to point out that this subject has been done to death.

im simply quoting this because i think people will skim it and not get the important part, which is to learn breakfalls...theyve saved me multiple times, if not my life than from serious injury at the very least

Honestly 'ukemi as self defense' probably deserves it's own thread. Especially as people get older knowing how to fall becomes really likely to improve your quality of life. That 69 year old that can still take a throw in judo probably isn't going to break his hip slipping on some ice.

I'm pretty sure I can manage a cross choke, a bow and arrow, a loop choke or a baseball bat choke with pretty much any type of T-shirts, hoodies, jacket or even a deep V-neck.

You can also manage pretty much anytype of grips if they have long sleeves, and anytype of pants that are not yoga pants.

So your arch nemesis if you do only gi training is pretty much this

upload_2017-10-9_22-50-50.png

I'm pretty sure I can manage a cross choke, a bow and arrow, a loop choke or a baseball bat choke with pretty much any type of T-shirts, hoodies, jacket or even a deep V-neck.

You can also manage pretty much anytype of grips if they have long sleeves, and anytype of pants that are not yoga pants.

So your arch nemesis if you do only gi training is pretty much this

View attachment 286373

You can choke or grip with anything, but the distinction is control grips in the gi vs. control grips in real clothing. With the gi we are accustomed to clutching any part of our opponent's attire, and it being both rope-like and inelastic, and our opponent having a limited range of movement unless he breaks our grip. A t-shirt, hoodie, sweater, etc. collar is harder to grab and does not offer close to the same control; seems like hockey fighting would be a more effective way to attack regular clothing.

I love the gi, but this argument about people in real life wearing clothes is one I've never bought. The gi trains you to expect a specific set of grips, and a specific kind of friction that you're not going to find with typical t-shirt and jeans attire.
What grips do gi pants offer that jeans do not?

Jeans have pockets. Grips for days homey..

What grips do gi pants offer that jeans do not?

Jeans have pockets. Grips for days homey..

There are grips in street clothing, sure, but I'm more referring to the argument that 'gi prepares you better for street confrontations because people on the streets wear clothes.' Maybe you will find some secondary grips later, but your primary engagements will be with no gi grips.

Last edited:
I'm speaking in a self defense situation...im training so much in the gi that basically all my passes and sweeps and sub setups rely on the gi. The one day we train no gi I completely and utterly suck

I know instructions say that people in real life wear jackets or even just shirts which can sub for a gi in a real fight but is even that accurate? I feel like if I pull on the lapel of a jacket it will slide right off his arm haha.

More experienced grapples than me what are you honest thoughts without any ego or toeing the line ? Just your own honest and anonymous opinions?

Some clothing is real slippery, and hard to grab. A T-shirt does not really resemble the gi. A dress jacket does, and a button shirt can if you rip it open. A zippered winter coat with down feathers is sometimes made of this water repellent fabric, that I find hard to grip.

Never said I self identify or greet people with “hi I use to wrestle In high school” all I said was most former wrestlers probably prefer NOGI.

Nowadays when people ask me what I do I too refer to my athletic hobby as Mongolian skinless oil judo or “I am a grappler”

No attack intended if my post came off that way.

I just grapple with a lot of guys who wrestled in high school or collage. Possibly because I am older and most of these guys train multiple sports (judo, bjj, wrestling, mma) there is little identifying as "a wrestler". There are preferences for gi and no gi but most of the time we are just looking for a good workout and good partners. I am a mid 40's guy who needs the sweet spot between working out hard and trying to kill each other every round. I don't care if its wrestling day, or judo rounds, bjj gi, or bjj no gi.

According to Eddie Bravo the gi is not a good idea if your goal is to compete in mma, and mma is the closest thing to a real fight.

I think going into an mma gym to grapple with MMA guys is one of the most educative way for bjj guys to assess where their jiu jitsu is regarding self defence.
MMA guys don't accept being on bottom like bjj guys, they try to stand up every chance they get and not having a gi to hold makes everything harder.

According to Eddie Bravo the gi is not a good idea if your goal is to compete in mma, and mma is the closest thing to a real fight.

I think going into an mma gym to grapple with MMA guys is one of the most educative way for bjj guys to assess where their jiu jitsu is regarding self defence.
MMA guys don't accept being on bottom like bjj guys, they try to stand up every chance they get and not having a gi to hold makes everything harder.
Also I guess I don't understand why it's not smart to control someone's body instead of controlling their clothing. I see the argument a lot that people don't walk around in swim trunks most of the year (unless they live in warmer climates) but I still think knowing how to control someone's body and not just control them via their clothing is an important skill to have.

You know what technique you should practice the most if you really want to make yourself safer? Break falls. People hurt themselves, and even die, in short falls all the time. I actually saved myself from serious injury just by knowing how to fall. I was crossing the street on my bicycle and someone late for work made a left without looking; they hit the front wheel of my bike going about 30 thr owing me to the ground. I probably would have bashed my head on the concrete pretty good, but I did a break fall and walked away with nothing but scratches and bruises.
That answer!

Fucking balance control is the most important after being able to go home day of surgery.

Two years off the mat and the skills are still there. The first month was constant one legged Ukemi all day every day to get on and off the shitter and in and out of bed.

When it's all said and done protecting yourself from falls is the most useful skill of all!

That's very true. If you look at street fights on YouTube, 99% of the participants are totally untrained. Anyone with even the most basic fighting skills has an advantage in defending themselves. It seems that the majority of the human race has zero interest in learning how to fight.
True. A lot of so called tough guys think they know how to fight innately and it does them ok because they haven't come up against someone trained. I don't know why people are so convinced they know how to fight without actually practicing it.

True. A lot of so called tough guys think they know how to fight innately and it does them ok because they haven't come up against someone trained. I don't know why people are so convinced they know how to fight without actually practicing it.

because strength aggression and violence can take you a long way in a sf.

There are grips in street clothing, sure, but I'm more referring to the argument that 'gi prepares you better for street confrontations because people on the streets wear clothes.' Maybe you will find some secondary grips later, but your primary engagements will be with no gi grips.
i just think that pertains more to the top than the pants.

That's very true. If you look at street fights on YouTube, 99% of the participants are totally untrained. Anyone with even the most basic fighting skills has an advantage in defending themselves. It seems that the majority of the human race has zero interest in learning how to fight.

well weaponless self defense was outdated 2000 years ago, kind of understandable that people dont train that to defend themselves. Go to were its really dangerous and surprisingly the people tend to use firing weapons for defense and if thats not available something sharp. ;)

99% of women are better of with learning how to be more aware what situations can develop into something dangerous instead of doing martial arts. It often installs a false sense of security and skill.

I taught self defense classes a long time ago and the fighting part was the least important.

The only reason to train martial arts should be because its fun.

Last edited:
because strength aggression and violence can take you a long way in a sf.
It can against untrained opponents but anyone roughly the same size with a solid year of training in striking and grappling I'm going to bet on to win.

It can against untrained opponents but anyone roughly the same size with a solid year of training in striking and grappling I'm going to bet on to win.

mmm... yeah in fantasy land.

a solid year of striking? are fucking serious? dude, ever went to kickboxing ammy events? hobbiest training for one year are starting to look good hitting pads, but as soon as they get in the ring, head down and bombs flying everywhere, its horrible to watch.

I will take a rugby player every single day of my life vs some of those dudes. Violence agression and williness to fight, take you a long way. One year of striking is nothing, unless its one year spent training as a pro, thats different.

one year of grappling is white belt level shit, yes it can give you some toolds but probably not enough to counter the adrenaline and someone whos a natural fighter in a SF.

It seemed that the martial artas fantasy time was over a couple of years ago, now is full back in motion, guys martial arts are no magic, and fights are a chaotic scenario very far away than what the safety of a sparring is.

Last edited:
well weaponless self defense was outdated 2000 years ago, kind of understandable that people dont train that to defend themselves. Go to were its really dangerous and surprisingly the people tend to use firing weapons for defense and if thats not available something sharp. ;)

99% of women are better of with learning how to be more aware what situations can develop into something dangerous instead of doing martial arts. It often installs a false sense of security and skill.

I taught self defense classes a long time ago and the fighting part was the least important.

The only reason to train martial arts should be because its fun.

partly I agree.

But no, Martial arts as should be learn specially as a youngte, not only to have fight, but to learn how to fight it can make you life waaay better from elementary school all the way up to college, people dont fuck around with guys who can fight, being respected in that time of your life will make you life 10x better, calling daddy to save you ass from getting beat up by your classmate will make you life a fucking hell for the next 10 years of your life.

not every fight is to death, and sometimes, somethings at certain time of your lfe have to be solved as the oldest way to settle difference, by fightng. This doestn mean you should try to kill the person who you are fighting against, but in MA forums, the ammount of larpers posting shit like "oh if I fight Im goign to rip the other guy eyes" bla bl bl.. when in reality that type of peolple aint ripping anyone's pants off, let alone eye sockets.

not every fight is to death, and sometimes, somethings at certain time of your lfe have to be solved as the oldest way to settle difference, by fightng.

For the past few years I have calling these situations as "mutually agreed combat" or "mutual combat" to differentiate them from "fights". Essentially two parties "agreeing" to physical confrontation outside of a sportive setting. Example being you're a highschool boy and a dude on the football team slaps your girl's butt and asks you "what are you gonna do about it?" You COULD leave and not engage in the scrap, but you would be better off sucking it up and thorwing down. That situation is opposed to an uninvited violent confrontation where you couldn't leave even if you wanted to (those I refer to as "fights").

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
mmm... yeah in fantasy land.

a solid year of striking? are fucking serious? dude, ever went to kickboxing ammy events? hobbiest training for one year are starting to look good hitting pads, but as soon as they get in the ring, head down and bombs flying everywhere, its horrible to watch.

I will take a rugby player every single day of my life vs some of those dudes. Violence agression and williness to fight, take you a long way. One year of striking is nothing, unless its one year spent training as a pro, thats different.

one year of grappling is white belt level shit, yes it can give you some toolds but probably not enough to counter the adrenaline and someone whos a natural fighter in a SF.

It seemed that the martial artas fantasy time was over a couple of years ago, now is full back in motion, guys martial arts are no magic, and fights are a chaotic scenario very far away than what the safety of a sparring is.

I've trained in boxing for 7 years and MT for 3 and I've seen plenty of decent guys do ok after a year of (good) training which includes a fair bit of sparring to the point where they could handle a non-trained adversary pretty well. But yes I have seen guys compete in their first interclub and look sloppy as hell. But you have to remember that's still not as sloppy as a totally untrained guy would look.

I've been doing BJJ now for just over a year and I'm pretty certain I could pin a guy with no training pretty easily. I go through the newer white belts pretty easily, even the bigger ones. People haven't got a clue what to do on the ground when they have no training.

Last edited:
Back