Is "Thug" a Racist Word?

Is "Thug" a racist word?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, anyone can be thug it just depends on the behavior of that said person.

Because thug became a buzzword that defined a certain kind of criminal. They could use any other word, and as long as they're using it to define all violent criminals, it's all good.

Thug doesn't mean just black criminals unless you're hyper focused on race and ignore any time nonblacks are called thug

It's context specific, like most terms. I used to drink at a shitty Irish bar all the time when I was single, since I smoke cigars id often find myself on the patio with the other regulars making small talk. One of these old lowlifes called black guys "spoons." Spoon is not a racist term when the vast majority of people use it, but when this guy used it, it was a very racist term.

Thug doesn't mean just black criminals unless you're hyper focused on race and ignore any time nonblacks are called thug
The War Room is ridiculous. I have to have the same argument multiple times in every thread because people can't read.

Is the word, "thug" racist?

Well, to leftists any other enemies of free speech, yes.

To the rest of the sane world, no.

any class?

I called those kids playing the KO game thugs. Common violent criminal. That's what it means.

it means that to you. as with most words, many people use it in different ways. at least where im from, it seems the word is used for a very specific type of person. i dont hear white people called thugs around here, even if theyre criminals or troublemakers. theyre called some other derogatory term, but not thugs.

and if people in the thread were really being honest with themselves, id bet your experiences with the word are similar to mine.

The War Room is ridiculous. I have to have the same argument multiple times in every thread because people can't read.

remember thuggish ruggish bone by bone thugz n harmony? that celebrates that theyre not just rappers, but thugs. what happened to that definition?

and even if i agreed with you, what word has less of a racial connotation? ghetto? hoodrat? "looks like he owns a pitbull"?

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/1...gs-over-alleged-assault-on-special-needs-kid/

- Two black high school football players attack a black special needs student from behind in a surprise attack.
- White wrestling coach (coaches kindergarten through sixth grade kids) sees video of the attack and comments that the two attackers are "thugs."
- Aunt of one of the attackers complains to school board that the white coach is racist for coming up with a creative way to call her nephew and his friend the "n-word."
- School superintendent forbids white coach and his students from using school facilities.

I guess "thug" is the new "n-word?"

fucking no

place is filled with idiots minus a few

but here you go

Fine, go ahead and close the thread down whIle I go and conduct a peer reviewed study.
Or perhaps I'll get with the trend here, and just assert whatever and dish out "go look it up, it's not hard" bullshit in response to questions.
That's good argumentation.

Or perhaps I'll get with the trend here, and just assert whatever and dish out "go look it up, it's not hard" bullshit in response to questions.
That's good argumentation.
It's not like there's a statistic that I can pull up to prove anything to you. What I can show you is many articles over the past few years that pose the same question that the TS asked. The closest I can give you to hard numbers is this article.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7227908

I'm sorry for any liberal bias but it's the only article with hard numbers.

Only if you're referring to people from India, as they probably don't want to be compared to the Thuggee cult that the term comes from.

Otherwise, no. There are thugs in every race.

Fuck the aunt, maybe her nephew shouldn't have been a piece of shit.

In my mind, thug has connotations of a criminal who's crude and boorish. Basic bitch criminals basically. You could call them criminals but the word is vague, refers to anything from white collar fraud to pedophilia. We have words like ruffian, delinquent, brute, evildoer, miscreant, etc, but they aren't common usage. We could call them "monsters" but really, these types of deranged kids born from shitty/non-existent parenting are a dime a dozen, it's not even surprising or shocking of a crime enough to call them that. They're basic bitch thugs, it's the right word.

The thing about "thug" that really stands out to me is how it sounds like an 80's colloquialism, entirely out of place now. When I hear someone say "that guys a thug", my first thought is "DY-NO-MITE!"

it means that to you. as with most words, many people use it in different ways. at least where im from, it seems the word is used for a very specific type of person. i dont hear white people called thugs around here, even if theyre criminals or troublemakers. theyre called some other derogatory term, but not thugs.

and if people in the thread were really being honest with themselves, id bet your experiences with the word are similar to mine.
I am being honest. I'm 40 and that word was used precisely as I stated well before the hip hop culture started embracing it.
I'm Canadian and we also use it to describe goons in hockey.

My white friends occasionally favor thug over piece of shit when referring to crimes committed by Africans Americans but usually only refer to white criminals as piece of shit

Maybe fox should just call them all piece of shit to not offend anyone

92% of respondents answered "no." And the persons who responded affirmatively (sniper, JonnyRingo84, jackietreehorn, TurboHolocaust) I imagine to be right-leaning posters being facetious.

Is this not a sufficient sign that this is yet another in a long line of polls meant to tackle straw men and back pat?

No, the term is not racist. It's usage as a rhetorical stand-in and as a racial dog whistle over the past couple decades can be.

Anyone who targets a special needs person, or a mentally disabled person is a piece of $hit thug. regardless of race.

Back