Nate's BJJ vs Tony's BJJ

Edit: This was at a purple belt level, and 10 years ago...BUT speaks volumes of Nate's BJJ pedigree.

Thanks for the vid! That was awesome to watch. Hall got his back a few times, shows how legit he actually is. Hope to see Hall fight again soon

Who is better when it comes to BJJ?

I've seen a lot of posters here claiming that Nate is better but in my honest opinion, Tony has the best BJJ in the division.

What do you guys think?

Its like Mir vs Werdum, Nate is more uniform and overall better, but Tony has a tricky game and can catch anyone at his weight.

For pure BJJ- Nate
For mma groundfighting with strikes- Ferguson more active off his back with elbows and more slick with submissions. Nate has been beaten badly by every wrestler he fought on the ground; clay guida, Rory, Bendo ect.

Nate is a second or third degree black belt. Tony is a tenth planet brown. In the Gi, Nate demolishes him and would likely be positionally better in no gi but Tony could catch him with a cheeky submission that he's not familiar with

Thanks for the vid! That was awesome to watch. Hall got his back a few times, shows how legit he actually is. Hope to see Hall fight again soon

No problem. Was just thinking, "when's Hall fighting again?".

Nate has better BJJ, Tony is more well rounded.

lmao all these clueless ducks thinking Tony is even close to nate in BJJ makes me laugh my ass of rofl.

This isnt even a close match up, Nate would murder him 10/10 times in bjj, Nate is a legit black belt for years now, has perfectly smooth transitions and is absolutely feared on the ground. Tony shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Nuthugger much?

Nuthugger much?
Nutthugger? R u insane? Open your eyes kid, Nates bjj isnt mcdonald happy meal bjj like Tony has, Nate is a real BJJ blackbelt, comparing him to Tony just because Tony subbed a gassed out wrestler is a crime of a comparison....

Its like trying to say lets compare Brock Lesnar's bjj because he subbed carwin to frank Mir's, different universe type of skills.

Nutthugger? R u insane? Open your eyes kid, Nates bjj isnt mcdonald happy meal bjj like Tony has, Nate is a real BJJ blackbelt, comparing him to Tony just because Tony subbed a gassed out wrestler is a crime of a comparison....

Its like trying to say lets compare Brock Lesnar's bjj because he subbed carwin to frank Mir's, different universe type of skills.

According to his fans he's amazing at everything.

In MMA, Tony is better. He can choose where the fight ends up at.

Nate is trained more classically and it shows, diaz bros have some legit skills. Nick's gogoplata, anyone? I would say a better overall pure BJJ.

However, Tony is giving credence to the 10th planet philosophy, which leans to the fact that strikes are to be taken into account. The use of mission control to land elbows was a factor Lee mentioned as being surprising and crucial to his defeat. It was good to see it executed with great results in a high level MMA setting.

Be nice to see a "grappling match" between them with strikes being allowed. They both have fantastic bottom games but in different ways.

Id would say fundamentally speaking Nate, as he is a Gracie BB and from an old school instructor.

Ferg has a wrestling advantage, and is not unaware of prob most BJJ attacks/counters/sweeps since he rolls with Blackbelts also.

So Nogi Tony

Jacket (Gi) Nate all day

Id would say fundamentally speaking Nate, as he is a Gracie BB and from an old school instructor.

Ferg has a wrestling advantage, and is not unaware of prob most BJJ attacks/counters/sweeps since he rolls with Blackbelts also.

So Nogi Tony

Jacket (Gi) Nate all day
Yeah, no.

Cesar gracie mostly trains no gi.

Just BJJ is hard to say, but Tony is definitely the better fighter. I'd say the two of them have the best jits in the division though.

Tony is better, Lee is a legit grappler who's big & strong for the division & Tony got close to pulling off an armbar & finished the fight with a triangle, nobody else in the division gets that sub off + Ferguson the better wrestler so he will control position always vs nate.

Back