Congress warned: NKorea EMP would kill '90% of Americans'...

The Congressional EMP Commission, since disbanded, spent eight years developing a plan to protect all infrastructures from EMP – a plan that would also mitigate threats from cyber-attack, sabotage, and natural disasters that could be implemented in 3-5 years at a cost of $10-20 billion.

The Congressional EMP Commission estimated in 2008 it would cost $2 billion to harden the grid’s critical nodes (i.e., roughly 2,000 large and medium-sized transformers and their associated SCADA systems, etc.). Modest when compared with the unimaginably high costs associated with trying to remediate after an EMP event. Yet, it has been an excuse for inaction.

Source: http://securethegrid.com/

My first reaction is to say that is absurd.

How the fuck is an EMP going to kill 270 million people? Or is this just the beginning of another WMD story line.

Oh like they used in Ocean’s Eleven to shut down Vegas?

How the fuck is an EMP going to kill 270 million people? Or is this just the beginning of another WMD story line.

It doesn't really say, but I assume without power/food/water/gas/heat society gets real shady real fast?

I have actually read a few books on the vulnerability of our electric grid. One EMP couldn't take out the entire nation, but a few well executed attacks at a few key transformers could.

If the entire grid went down, say goodbye to the ol' USA. Death tolls would be high, but 270 million? Na, aid would come in from other counties, but the world would be irrecoverable.

There was an article I found after some clicking around that site that said Stephen Hawking confirms and endorses a pill that doubles one's IQ. Somebody should tweet at Rex Tillerson just to, you know, make it competitive.

Edit: I can't find whatever crappy ad/whatever brought me to it. Oh well.

Last edited:
If po-dunk NK can launch a single shitty missle attack and kill 90% of us, then the Soviets really f’d up by not doing the job a loooong time ago.

Last edited:
I know it's hard to think of things that you don't understand but I strongly encourage people to learn a little bit about this topic before dismissing it. There is very likely a tremendous amount of important information you are unaware of. This could happen without an attack, from a powerful solar coronal mass ejection. One just missed the earth in 2012.

I know it's hard to think of things that you don't understand but I strongly encourage people to learn a little bit about this topic before dismissing it. There is very likely a tremendous amount of important information you are unaware of. This could happen without an attack, from a powerful solar coronal mass ejection. One just missed the earth in 2012.
Will it kill 270 million people in the U.S.?

Isn't the failure of the electric power grid what killed the dinosaurs?

I ride around in a Faraday cage that's mounted on a Segway.

Sorry, man. If something like that happens, I'll just have to end up as one of the extras in a Roland Emmerich film.

I have actually read a few books on the vulnerability of our electric grid. One EMP couldn't take out the entire nation, but a few well executed attacks at a few key transformers could.

If the entire grid went down, say goodbye to the ol' USA. Death tolls would be high, but 270 million? Na, aid would come in from other counties, but the world would be irrecoverable.

Casualties would be high in heavily populated areas but would consist of the elderly and babies for the most part.

Aid from other countries? Other than a few shit holes virtue signaling with crumbs, we'll be on our own if something serious happens.

If you believe in emps you better start building a lead lined garage just in case.

It doesn't really say, but I assume without power/food/water/gas/heat society gets real shady real fast?
But that's bullshit. An EMP, even considering NK would be able to launch one and achieve massive success(nobody ever tried it in such a scale), would fry electronics and power lines but they could be repaired. You will still have generators, cars will most likely still work(cars act like a faraday cage) and many things can be hand operated, you can still pump gas, giving you time to rebuild the critical stuff.
Much military hardware is also hardened against EMPs.

Trivia: That hot journalist IMO asking the question is Raquel Krahenbul

Will it kill 270 million people in the U.S.?
I don't know. I do know that a powerful EMP would devastate our electrical infrastructure and it would be extremely difficult to repair in a timely fashion. Imagine if you had no electricity, no internet, for a few years. We're talking immense devastation and breakdown in our civil order. Most populated regions have a 3 day food supply. It would be an immense disaster and I don't think anyone really knows how many would perish. It would be very bad in my opinion.

But that's bullshit. An EMP, even considering NK would be able to launch one and achieve massive success(nobody ever tried it in such a scale), would fry electronics and power lines but they could be repaired. You will still have generators, cars will most likely still work(cars act like a faraday cage) and many things can be hand operated, you can still pump gas, giving you time to rebuild the critical stuff.
Much military hardware is also hardened against EMPs.

Trivia: That hot journalist IMO asking the question is Raquel Krahenbul
I urge you to research this a bit more. We don't have transformers just laying around in the amount necessary to do any significant repair.

Back