PUBG becomes 1st game in history to break 3 million concurrent users on Steam

Im not feeling these popular games. Dota and LOL are such crap games, no idea how ppl like them so much.

As for this game, I found it really boring when I gave it a try.

Im not feeling these popular games. Dota and LOL are such crap games, no idea how ppl like them so much.

As for this game, I found it really boring when I gave it a try.
They are not easy to access, but as with almost all truly great games, that's baked into the cake. Once you grasp them they are truly excellent.

At the same time, it's possible that you just don't like MOBAs. Happens. I just can't stand the Fighting genre, anymore, and that was my first true foray into MP competitive gaming back with the Arcade street fighter.

PUBG is a different genre: 3rd person shooter (with first-person scoping, and elements of driving/parkour/stealth/trap-laying built around a survivalist theme). It yokes together all these different elements we've seen rising in competitive multiplayer for years. For example, the Parkour aspect is incredibly limited, but we're seeing more and more of these elements integrated into mainstream shooters due to the popularity of Assassin's Creed, Titanfall, Warframe, and Mirror's Edge.

This is the emerging "great idea" in gaming that the industry has been building for the past 25 years. RPGs, first inspired outside of videogames with math-based AD&D games, were the first subgenre to be absorbed into shooters with all the customization of weapons and leveling ideas. Then the stealth ideas introduced in Metal Gear have slowly been added into normal shooters. Next game the Driving genre which went back to PC sims in the 80's, but became most popular with the GTA franchise, obviously. Now comes the parkour.

It's impossible to not also see the influence of other facets of pop culture. The environment immediately invokes The Walking Dead series, and the theme itself rips from the famous Japanese film, but probably has more immediate resonance with the public from the likes of The Hunger Games.

If you have truly deep and intimate knowledge of the entire history, if you grew up watching the whole thing unfold before your eyes, it really is an incredible and beautiful thing to see.

They are not easy to access, but as with almost all truly great games, that's baked into the cake. Once you grasp them they are truly excellent.

At the same time, it's possible that you just don't like MOBAs. Happens. I just can't stand the Fighting genre, anymore, and that was my first true foray into MP competitive gaming back with the Arcade street fighter.

PUBG is a different genre: 3rd person shooter (with first-person scoping, and elements of driving/parkour/stealth/trap-laying built around a survivalist theme). It yokes together all these different elements we've seen rising in competitive multiplayer for years. For example, the Parkour aspect is incredibly limited, but we're seeing more and more of these elements integrated into mainstream shooters due to the popularity of Assassin's Creed, Titanfall, Warframe, and Mirror's Edge.

This is the emerging "great idea" in gaming that the industry has been building for the past 25 years. RPGs, first inspired outside of videogames with math-based AD&D games, were the first subgenre to be absorbed into shooters with all the customization of weapons and leveling ideas. Then the stealth ideas introduced in Metal Gear have slowly been added into normal shooters. Next game the Driving genre which went back to PC sims in the 80's, but became most popular with the GTA franchise, obviously. Now comes the parkour.

It's impossible to not also see the influence of other facets of pop culture. The environment immediately invokes The Walking Dead series, and the theme itself rips from the famous Japanese film, but probably has more immediate resonance with the public from the likes of The Hunger Games.

If you have truly deep and intimate knowledge of the entire history, if you grew up watching the whole thing unfold before your eyes, it really is an incredible and beautiful thing to see.

Yeah, MOBA's are just not my thing, same with shooters. I like COD Zombies but besides that I haven't been interested in any shooter since CS GO.

My favourite games are RTS/RPG. I grew up on starcraft and diablo 2, which are my fav games of all time.

Right now I play Rocket League, Starcraft 2, Cuphead and COD IW Zombie mode.

Yeah, MOBA's are just not my thing, same with shooters. I like COD Zombies but besides that I haven't been interested in any shooter since CS GO.

My favourite games are RTS/RPG. I grew up on starcraft and diablo 2, which are my fav games of all time.

Right now I play Rocket League, Starcraft 2, Cuphead and COD IW Zombie mode.
RTS is another genre of my youth I haven't played in a long time (unless you count games like Clash of Clans as an RTS, but "Tower Defense" can be real-time or turn-based, so I prefer it as a distinct subgenre).

I also miss the old TBS. We need a new Heroes of Might and Magic. I just don't see how a game like that gains any sort of commercial traction, these days. Then again, Stardew Valley. So yeah. Anything's possible.

RTS is another genre of my youth I haven't played in a long time (unless you count games like Clash of Clans as an RTS, but "Tower Defense" can be real-time or turn-based, so I prefer it as a distinct subgenre).

I also miss the old TBS. We need a new Heroes of Might and Magic. I just don't see how a game like that gains any sort of commercial traction, these days. Then again, Stardew Valley. So yeah. Anything's possible.

Well, you can do like I do and replay some of those old turn based games since they don't really rely on graphics. I replayed Fallout 2 recently.

I bet you could find some indie games somewhere for turn based as well.

Also, does X-com qualify?

Anyway, the appeal for in PUBG is the tension and knowing that when you die, you die. No respawning. It's like playing X-Com on hardcore. Being able to reload a save and try again takes away the intensity. Making a mistake in PUBG is usually fatal.

According to steamcharts it passed 2M only 90 minutes ago.
I guess they use different algorithms.

Also, pretty interesting user %.

I guess all those clowns running around the lobby are right,

China really is #1...

According to steamcharts it passed 2M only 90 minutes ago.
I guess they use different algorithms.

Also, pretty interesting user %.

Clever attempt to misrepresent what's happening to laymen who don't know how to read charts.

DLsTmqMXkAE3RcP.jpg:large

This chart represents % of playshare, not absolute numbers. So all this means is that growth of the playerbase in China is rapidly outpacing the growth in the USA; not that the USA's total number of players is declining. It hasn't. It has grown.

China has 5x as many people as us, so the fact that they'll devour a larger share once a game catches on there really tells us nothing beyond the fact that it's wildly popular in China.

There's an indie fantasy tbs/4xwargame series named dominions (5 coming out soon) I enjoy. It has a lot of overlap with homm 3 fans, to the point that people have modded in all or most of the homm 3 nations.

It's not a very popular game, of course, and popularity has plummeted since people are waiting for the newest version. The entire multiplayer community was at around 300 players recently, though it is bigger in the years just after a new version is released. Steam shows 80,000 sales, but it was initially released to other platforms.

Last edited:
There's an indie fantasy tbs/4xwargame series named dominions (5 coming out soon) I enjoy. It has a lot of overlap with homm 3 fans, to the point that people have modded in all or most of the homm 3 nations.

It's not a very popular game, of course, and popularity has plummeted since people are waiting for the newest version. The entire multiplayer community was at around 300 players recently, though it is bigger in the years just after a new version is released. Steam shows 80,000 sales, but it was initially released to other platforms.
Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, no shit. That is exactly what I said.

Great, you can read charts.
I look forward to when you learn to read.

You are seeing things. Might be that implicit bias of yours you keep talking about.

I am living rent free in your head.
Says the Valve shill who just double-posted.

I see through you.

Those who can't read, post gifs.

Would it kill you to admit you were wrong one time.
Though, you were like 50 in this thread alone.
You are more dotard than Trump.

We both know you fucked up, but you can't admit it.
That is why you will always remain nothing but:

img-685364-2-forum-moderator-funny-pictures.jpg
You're literally using a split color scheme reply style ITT that you picked up from me in this thread last week. You're literally following me around (this is my thread) and copycating me while pretending that I'm not your hero. You should just pull a Fortnite Battle Royale and change your account name to "Maddmick".

Quoting user percentage doesn't explicate the chart's indicators to laymen (duh...the chart already had % demarcated in it). Ask me a rhetorical question and then run away again.

If you are interested in watching some of the best players you can do so on Twitch, Rocket League has big tournament from 10-12 November.

Yeah I watched the big esport event earlier this year where flipside and all the best teams played off. It was magical. Those guys are ridiculous

I'd stockpile them. They're going to do something with them eventually. The superficial items absolutely don't matter, especially since you can pick up random shit throughout the game if you really want to. Maybe they'll do "premium" stuff later.

And really, who sees it? Most of the time you're getting shot at from 100m+ away, so no one cares if you have a yellow track suit or not... lol

Yeah, its best to save all the BP until you can unlock the higher end crates.
Some items sell on the Steam marketplace for legit money. That's why a lot of Chinese are botting to earn a ton of BP to get rare items to sell online.

Well, they did it. They broke 3m concurrent users on Steam before the official launch:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/136529301/

One has to wonder how the XB1 market will grow this game. Microsoft's stronghold is North America, but only about 1 out of 5 PUBG gamers resides here. China is the prize, and Microsoft has an eye to slinging consoles there.

Back