Congress warned: NKorea EMP would kill '90% of Americans'...

I ride around in a Faraday cage that's mounted on a Segway.

Sorry, man. If something like that happens, I'll just have to end up as one of the extras in a Roland Emmerich film.
It's that kind of thinking that allow us to be in the situation we're in, even though we don't have to be.

It's that kind of thinking that allow us to be in the situation we're in, even though we don't have to be.
Haha what? How does the skepticism of the average joe lead to the situation you think we're in? My opinion on the matter couldn't possibly influence things one way or the other.

Transformers are no longer manufactured in the USA. The countries that do manufacture them do so when they are ordered. Average fulfillment time is 18 months.

But that's bullshit. An EMP, even considering NK would be able to launch one and achieve massive success(nobody ever tried it in such a scale), would fry electronics and power lines but they could be repaired. You will still have generators, cars will most likely still work(cars act like a faraday cage) and many things can be hand operated, you can still pump gas, giving you time to rebuild the critical stuff.
Much military hardware is also hardened against EMPs.

Trivia: That hot journalist IMO asking the question is Raquel Krahenbul

People can't live a day without their phones, most can't fight or shoot, aren't prepared in any way.
We go power-free and people go goofy in 30 days. Can't take care of themselves, start to attack and steal from others...
Thunderdome.

She is easy on the eyes.

Haha what? How does the skepticism of the average joe lead to the situation you think we're in? My opinion on the matter couldn't possibly influence things one way or the other.
Your " thinking" , or lack of it, is common. Your skepticism is based on nothing because it's doubtful you actually have any knowledge about this subject. The foremost experts are pretty worried. They're the guys that just testified before Congress and that a bunch of Sherdog posters seem to know better than they do about their field of specialty. So if a bunch of average Joe's deemed this subject important, and demanded something be done, we could harden our grid within 5 years and we wouldn't have to worry about it. It wouldn't even cost that much. The USA wastes more money than it would cost to protect our grid on numerous foolish things.

But that's bullshit. An EMP, even considering NK would be able to launch one and achieve massive success(nobody ever tried it in such a scale), would fry electronics and power lines but they could be repaired. You will still have generators, cars will most likely still work(cars act like a faraday cage) and many things can be hand operated, you can still pump gas, giving you time to rebuild the critical stuff.
Much military hardware is also hardened against EMPs.

Trivia: That hot journalist IMO asking the question is Raquel Krahenbul
Cars do not work as Faraday cages and the average modern car has 90 microprocessors that would fry. Not that it would matter because so much would break down so fast that no one will be getting gas anyway.

I urge you to research this a bit more. We don't have transformers just laying around in the amount necessary to do any significant repair.
Texas will be fine as they have there own power grid

Cars do not work as Faraday cages and the average modern car has 90 microprocessors that would fry. Not that it would matter because so much would break down so fast that no one will be getting gas anyway.
Hand pumps?

I have actually read a few books on the vulnerability of our electric grid. One EMP couldn't take out the entire nation, but a few well executed attacks at a few key transformers could.

If the entire grid went down, say goodbye to the ol' USA. Death tolls would be high, but 270 million? Na, aid would come in from other counties, but the world would be irrecoverable.

This isfactual -- US grid system is deperate need of an overhaul and a few well place simple explosive devices could deliver mass chaos. An NEMP/NNEMP would absolutely cripple the US.

Your " thinking" , or lack of it, is common. Your skepticism is based on nothing because it's doubtful you actually have any knowledge about this subject. The foremost experts are pretty worried. They're the guys that just testified before Congress and that a bunch of Sherdog posters seem to know better than they do about their field of specialty. So if a bunch of average Joe's deemed this subject important, and demanded something be done, we could harden our grid within 5 years and we wouldn't have to worry about it. It wouldn't even cost that much. The USA wastes more money than it would cost to protect our grid on numerous foolish things.
Hey, I did some quick googling, and here's a refutation in Popular Mechanics.

Oh, here's some actual testing for you:
Jeffrey Lewis, an arms control scholar, wrote in Foreign Policy in 2013, "(the) EMP Commission exposed 37 cars and 18 trucks to EMP effects in a laboratory environment. While EMP advocates claim the results of an EMP attack would be "planes falling from the sky, cars stalling on the roadways, electrical networks failing, food rotting," the actual results were much more modest. Of the 55 vehicles exposed to EMP, six at the highest levels of exposure needed to be restarted. A few more showed "nuisance" damage to electronics, such as blinking dashboard displays."

Granted, that's from March. Maybe that's all changed!

I know it's hard to think of things that you don't understand but I strongly encourage people to learn a little bit about this topic before dismissing it. There is very likely a tremendous amount of important information you are unaware of. This could happen without an attack, from a powerful solar coronal mass ejection. One just missed the earth in 2012.
Yes, I think most of us were aware.

Did the sun start taking orders from the DPRK sometime between then and now?

Hey, I did some quick googling, and here's a refutation in Popular Mechanics.

Oh, here's some actual testing for you:

Granted, that's from March. Maybe that's all changed!
I'm glad to learn you're looking into it. I urge you to continue. The EMP Commission published many things. If you feel inclined I urge you to peruse it. Or watch the video I posted in this thread.

Yes, I think most of us were aware.

Did the sun start taking orders from the DPRK sometime between then and now?
A very meaningful contribution to this thread. You rule.

Is it hardened ? I don't think it is.
So you are talking 3 major EMP attacks simultaneously east, west and Texas coordinated perfectly to catch the U.S. by surprise? Have you seen NK missile tests do they inspire that much confidence in there agility to pull this off.

elderly, infirmed, maybe. perhaps even in high numbers but definitely not 90%. What does that report think we are made of, silicon? We are MFing humans, btch. NK would have to successfully drop 10 good sized nukes across the U.S. to kill 90%. But their arsenal is shite at the moment. Definitely something to be concerned about, but NK would get demolished in the bat of an eye if they tried something like that.

The Congressional EMP Commission, since disbanded, spent eight years developing a plan to protect all infrastructures from EMP – a plan that would also mitigate threats from cyber-attack, sabotage, and natural disasters that could be implemented in 3-5 years at a cost of $10-20 billion.

The Congressional EMP Commission estimated in 2008 it would cost $2 billion to harden the grid’s critical nodes (i.e., roughly 2,000 large and medium-sized transformers and their associated SCADA systems, etc.). Modest when compared with the unimaginably high costs associated with trying to remediate after an EMP event. Yet, it has been an excuse for inaction.

Source: http://securethegrid.com/

1 million per node. Seems cheap as shit.
Anyway its 1/350th of the increase in military spending.

If its that cheap probably worth doing without considering NK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back