Congress warned: NKorea EMP would kill '90% of Americans'...

elderly, infirmed, maybe. perhaps even in high numbers but definitely not 90%. What does that report think we are made of, silicon? We are MFing humans, btch. NK would have to successfully drop 10 good sized nukes across the U.S. to kill 90%. But their arsenal is shite at the moment. Definitely something to be concerned about, but NK would get demolished in the bat of an eye if they tried something like that.

Highly armed population without power or communication and lack of food. I could see it going very badly.

And then our nuclear subs create the great Korean desert.

Isn't the failure of the electric power grid what killed the dinosaurs?

giphy.webp

So you are talking 3 major EMP attacks simultaneously east, west and Texas coordinated perfectly to catch the U.S. by surprise? Have you seen NK missile tests do they inspire that much confidence in there agility to pull this off.
There are ways this could happen that don't require an attack. A coronal mass ejection from the sun could do it. One powerful enough to do so occurred in 2012 and missed the Earth. Look up the Carrington event of 1859. It set telegraph lines on fire.
http://aviationweek.com/awin/major-solar-event-could-devastate-power-grid

I'm glad to learn you're looking into it. I urge you to continue. The EMP Commission published many things. If you feel inclined I urge you to peruse it. Or watch the video I posted in this thread.
Can't tonight, I'm finishing up work that I've been putting off. I'll watch your video later, but it would take an awful lot to get me worried. At worst, I'd chalk it up as one of those things I can't control and therefore am not going to spend overly large amounts of time fretting over.

right now their best nuke could produce an emp capable of reaching the west coast if they launched over their own air space

Can't tonight, I'm finishing up work that I've been putting off. I'll watch your video later, but it would take an awful lot to get me worried. At worst, I'd chalk it up as one of those things I can't control and therefore am not going to spend overly large amounts of time fretting over.
If enough ordinary people just called our congressmen and asked them to support hardening the grid, we could get this done. Then no one would have to worry. Too many innocent people would die if this happened. We waste a lot of money on foolish things, this is important. Check out the site http://securethegrid.com/ for info on how to support protecting our vital infrastructure.

1 million per node. Seems cheap as shit.
Anyway its 1/350th of the increase in military spending.

If its that cheap probably worth doing without considering NK.
It is worth it. It's important to remember that this can happen from a powerful enough CME. So an attack is not even necessary. You're right that it would not cost much, it's a good investment.

i hate to say it boys...

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

...i have an ominous feeling about the future of America. I don't want to be a debby downer but i honestly don't see a good future and i think it's going to come fast. Either in mine or my child's life time. I tell him all the time too...in half joking/half serious manner.

He'll be like, 'daaaaaaad, i don't want to walk to the park.' and i'll rebuttal, 'what are ya gonna do son when the economy crashes and looters are chasing you?!'

I feel like Chuck Smith prophesied about this when reading through Jeremiah:

And if you have run with the footmen (Jer 12:5),

If you got in a race with the footmen.

and they have wearied you (Jer 12:5),

How in the world are you going to race with horses? How, if you've been weary in these little things, how, what are you going to do when it really gets tough?

I do believe, I do know that things are going to get much, much tougher before they get better. I do think that our whole society has peaked as far as our standard of living, culture and all. I think that we have peaked and are on the way down. We cannot continue to use up the energy resources as we have in the past. We're going to have to start making sacrifices as far as our energy consumption is concerned. We are not producing enough food to feed the hungry world. And as more people get hungry, more demands are going to be made upon our food supplies. And we cannot ignore the Third World and its tremendous needs. And whether we like it or not, demands are going to be made upon us that are going to call for greater sacrifices and in the high standard that we've come to expect and to enjoy is over and we're on the way down. We're not going to be able to just go on forever gobbling up thirty-seven percent of the world's energy resources, because we're only six percent of the people. And it's over. The holiday, the picnic is over. Things are going to start getting tougher and they're going to get much tougher before they get better.

Read G Michael Hopf's books on this exact thing. Pretty accurate breakdown of the shit show that would happen if the he is gets knocked out. Even if it is dramatized as a novel.

1503864607605387428.JPG

There...problem solved for me.

If the power grid was knocked out in the USA, I feel shit would go south real quick.

I don't know. I do know that a powerful EMP would devastate our electrical infrastructure and it would be extremely difficult to repair in a timely fashion. Imagine if you had no electricity, no internet, for a few years. We're talking immense devastation and breakdown in our civil order. Most populated regions have a 3 day food supply. It would be an immense disaster and I don't think anyone really knows how many would perish. It would be very bad in my opinion.

Years?...uhm. No.

Highly armed population without power or communication and lack of food. I could see it going very badly.
If Syrians can manage it americans can do the same. Syrians living in areas like Aleppo or Deir Er Zor spent days without energy, communication and they had tons of military grade equipment at their disposal. Sure, many died, but most survived. They're were also getting shelled and bombed.
Guys, I'm not saying it would be a walk in the park, but humans have survived through Leningrad while keeping the factories running there, an EMP wouldn't kill 90% of americans.
It would make life suck but you could power through it. People in need of intensive care would die, the elderly would die, the unlucky would die.
As an example, even if EMPs killed all "modern cars"(they don't) you could use older trucks to transport food to urban areas. You could use generators or hand pumps to pump gas.
You could communicate with older style radios. Any radio geek can craft an workable (satellite) radio from scratch. NK can't take down american satellites.

It wouldn't be a nuclear apocalypse like against the USSR. The USSR would hit the USA with a thousand 1MT nukes in the 80s, a few of these could be EMPs. Then I could see something like 90% of the population dying off.

And American nukes kill 100% of North Koreans.

We still win.

Oh, the ignorance here is breathtaking.

Just so you guys know when an EMP hits stuff about 99% of it can just be turned back on afterwards. Only very sensitive things like unshielded CPUs and the like are "bricked".

Back