How come I can't post gifs?!

CalvilloRay

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'll literally try posting a gif that has already been posted in a sherdog forum and it says that the file is too large. How come someone else was able to post it? I can't post any gifs at all, every time I tried it says that the file is too large.

I'll literally try posting a gif that has already been posted in a sherdog forum and it says that the file is too large. How come someone else was able to post it? I can't post any gifs at all, every time I tried it says that the file is too large.
Are using the URL in the box that comes when clicking the image icon..... or trying attach it?

Have you tried copying the gif and pasting it inside the reply box?

I've noticed this too. It doesn't happen to me all of the the time, but when it does I'll post some text then I'll go back in and edit my post right away, delete the text, then post my GIF.

Last edited:

Is how I does it

Yeah I have this forever

Damn near ever gif I save out of a forum I can’t repost

Yeah I have this forever

Damn near ever gif I save out of a forum I can’t repost
If a GIF exceeds the physical upload threshold, you'll need surf to an upload site (I strongly recommend Imgur) and link in your post here to that upload (external to SD).

Should you go the Imgur route, the process from A-Z takes roughly 60 seconds and requires neither signing up nor paying a fee (tick rather New post from their main page and then drag-and-drop from your desktop).

I have linked to GIFs well in excess of 10 MB, so problems of the sort are unlikely.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having.

@CalvilloRay

Please see my post above (that is, № 7) in response to your GIF-uploads corrupting.

Make sure to just use the image URL when you're embedding a gif from imgur.

Buddy I don’t mean to be a bother, but do you mind explaining how to do that? I don’t see image url.
https://i.imgur.com/9sXKK3A.gifv

Do you use Chrome?

It should be the same in all browsers but right click on the image then click "copy image address" or "copy image URL" and that's how you get the image URL

So the image URL for the first gif is (no spaces): https:// i.imgur.com/u9kOSYT.gif
I’m trying to use safari on my iPhone. Is that the problem?

I’m trying to use safari on my iPhone. Is that the problem?
I don't have an iPhone but I think if you press and hold on an image and then press "copy", that should copy the image URL

I don't have an iPhone but I think if you press and hold on an image and then press "copy", that should copy the image URL
Ok. That’s what I’ve been doing. Maybe I can only post gifs properly from a computer. Thanks bud.

Ok. That’s what I’ve been doing. Maybe I can only post gifs properly from a computer. Thanks bud.
Sometimes Imgur drops .gif address extensions – when copy-pasting a GIF, look at what address has been pasted and manually input .gif at the coda (for a tail, as it were) if absent. I believe that will fix your issue.

When you copy your gif url and it ends with .gifv use the Image not Media button above your comment box and remove the v.

and it'll end up like this with the gif showing in your reply box

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/u9kOSYT.gif[/img]

Instead of this
Code:
[MEDIA=imgur]height=149;id=u9kOSYT;type=gifv;width=300[/MEDIA]
which will not show you your gifv until you post or preview your comment

@The Crow

Mate, I think I see what you're doing. Instead of double- or right-ticking the source (image itself) –

(1) go to the address bar of that page with the GIF
(2) add the .gif extension manually to the end of that URL inside the address bar, then
(3) copy that modified URL, and
(4) paste it into the media URL/data field of the film icon pop-up when in-post
(5) sit back and enjoy your work :p