Tape proves Gen. Kelly LIED to smear Congresswoman Wilson...

ShoelessRye

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In his all out defense of Trump yesterday Gen Kelly closed with this -

I’ll end with this: In October — April, rather, of 2015, I was still on active duty, and I went to the dedication of the new FBI field office in Miami. And it was dedicated to two men who were killed in a firefight in Miami against drug traffickers in 1986 — a guy by the name of Grogan and Duke. Grogan almost retired, 53 years old; Duke, I think less than a year on the job. (Editor’s note: The F.B.I. agent for which the building is named was named Jerry L. Dove, not Duke.)

Anyways, they got in a gunfight and they were killed. Three other FBI agents were there, were wounded, and now retired. So we go down — Jim Comey gave an absolutely brilliant memorial speech to those fallen men and to all of the men and women of the FBI who serve our country so well, and law enforcement so well.

There were family members there. Some of the children that were there were three or four years old when their dads were killed on that street in Miami-Dade. Three of the men that survived the fight were there, and gave a rendition of how brave those men were and how they gave their lives.

And a congresswoman stood up, and in the long tradition of empty barrels making the most noise, stood up there and all of that and talked about how she was instrumental in getting the funding for that building, and how she took care of her constituents because she got the money, and she just called up President Obama, and on that phone call he gave the money — the $20 million — to build the building. And she sat down, and we were stunned. Stunned that she had done it. Even for someone that is that empty a barrel, we were stunned.

But, you know, none of us went to the press and criticized. None of us stood up and were appalled. We just said, O.K., fine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/us/politics/statement-kelly-gold-star.html

However Miami Herald reports this -

Video of Frederica Wilson’s 2015 speech shows John Kelly was wrong

Rep. Frederica Wilson never said she secured $20 million from President Barack Obama to build an FBI building in Miramar in 2015 although Trump administration Chief of Staff John Kelly accused her of doing so from the White House podium on Thursday, according to a video of the actual event.

During a video of the nine minute speech posted Friday by the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Wilson took credit for passing legislation to get the building named after slain FBI agents Benjamin Grogan and Jerry Dove, killed during a 1986 shootout with bank robbers south of Miami. Multiple members of Congress and then-FBI Director James Comey praised Wilson’s effort in getting the building named for them in 2015.

But Wilson never took credit for securing federal funding during her speech, showing that Kelly’s attack on her was false. Documents suggest that the money for the project was allocated by Congress before Wilson arrived in Congress in 2011.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In her remarks, Wilson did call passing her bill so quickly “a miracle, to say the least,” thanks to her and colleagues being in “attack mode.” But she also spent significant time praising the agents who Kelly said on Thursday had deserved the attention that day.

“Today it is is our patriotic duty to lift up Special Agent Benjamin Grogan and Special Agent Jerry Dove from the streets of South Florida and place their names and pictures high where the world will know that we are proud of their sacrifice, sacrifice for our nation,” she said according to the video.

“It is only fitting that their names should be placed on the same mantle with the letters FBI. Because Special Agent Grogan and Dove embody the sacred motto of which the agency has become known. Please repeat it after me: Fidelity. Bravery. And integrity.

“God bless you,” she said at the close, drawing a standing ovation. “God bless the FBI. And God bless America.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article179952536.html

I was just about to post this.

LOL @ people thinking that Kelly was supposed to be "one of the adults in the room" RE reigning in Trump.

Nobody in Washington who actually has integrity wants anything to do with this administration.

the clown shoes presidency continues and his trumpets will just find a way to blame clinton or obama for it

Trumps lying seems to be rubbing off on everyone

Generals are politicians too.

"This is bad."

See how that works Trumpers? It's only one letter longer than a useless, sarcastic "this is it" AND it lets people know you're an adult.... not a 16 year old publicist who works for free.

I can't believe that Kelly would attack a woman. I thought he considered them sacred.

I’m just confused by the past two years of American politics. Does no one have staffers that do even basic fact checking? You can’t tell me everyone writes their own speeches and press releases, so how is it that so many mistakes get made? I get that intentional lying can paint the other person in a certain light, but this is an age where everyone can access information to check out stories like this. So how do people expect to get away with it?

I realized Kelly was a complete POS the moment he defended, rather than condemned, Trump, for having the audacity to use Kelly's slain son to try and give himself cover for his lies about the actions of former presidents.

Kelly threw his own dead son under the bus in the cause of naked partisanism. What a vile human being. This is a great example of the sort of profound soullessness and lack of honor one must possess in order to serve in the Trump WH.

people are seriously freaking out, and using terms like 'profound soullessness' and 'lack of honor' over this?

i'm sure you used such unique phrasing when discussing Benghazi, no doubt

I was just about to post this.

LOL @ people thinking that Kelly was supposed to be "one of the adults in the room" RE reigning in Trump.

Nobody in Washington who actually has integrity wants anything to do with this administration.
I think he still is but the sad truth about joining Trump's toxic office is that your are required to lie and spin. Remember, Trump values loyalty far more than ethics/integrity and if you want to stick around you better be loyal, even at personal cost.

I can be wrong here but I think Kelly is a net positive for Trump's team and he may feel that he has to make some sacrifices for the greater good, which is to prevent Trump from doing something very stupid. Just my theory, but he strikes me as more intelligent and grounded than most of the other buffoons Trump chose to surround himself with.

"This is bad."

See how that works Trumpers? It's only one letter longer than a useless, sarcastic "this is it" AND it lets people know you're an adult.... not a 16 year old publicist who works for free.
Who are you referencing? Nobody has attempted to defend this guy or Trump in this thread. You sound like you're permanently triggered by Donald Trump.

Take it easy and at least wait until there's somebody disagreeing with you to start with the pissing and moaning.

I’m just confused by the past two years of American politics. Does no one have staffers that do even basic fact checking? You can’t tell me everyone writes their own speeches and press releases, so how is it that so many mistakes get made? I get that intentional lying can paint the other person in a certain light, but this is an age where everyone can access information to check out stories like this. So how do people expect to get away with it?
Because the internet age didn't usher in a new era of swift fact checking, it ushered in a new era of widespread bullshit that can travel around the world ten times before the truth gets it's pants on and makes it to the door

A complete and total misrepresentation of the speech. She never mentioned money at all. He pulled up this $20M completely out of his ass. And she never mentioned asking Obama for anything, only ever mentions his name when she said he signed the bill and she brought the pens from the signing to give to the FBI. He completely manufactured a totally different narrative - and this was said to be from his memory since he was at the speech.

Why would he misremember so badly. For his sake I hope there is another speech on the same dedication that he was referencing. Because if this IS the speech he was talking about yesterday it opens up darker questions about him.

A complete and total misrepresentation of the speech. She never mentioned money at all. He pulled up this $20M completely out of his ass. And she never mentioned asking Obama for anything, only ever mentions his name when she said he signed the bill and she brought the pens from the signing to give to the FBI. He completely manufactured a totally different narrative - and this was said to be from his memory since he was at the speech.

Why would he misremember so badly. For his sake I hope there is another speech on the same dedication that he was referencing. Because if this IS the speech he was talking about yesterday it opens up darker questions about him.
Speech is going on three years old and he probably didn’t think she deserved to be there when the speech was given. Messed up the details most likely. Haven’t listened to the speech yet myself

Because the internet age didn't usher in a new era of swift fact checking, it ushered in a new era of widespread bullshit that can travel around the world ten times before the truth gets it's pants on and makes it to the door
This is true. I don’t know, it would just be nice to have integrity seen as a positive character trait again, rather than a weakness. I think Mattis at least tries to bring some honor and integrity, but very few involved in politics seem to even try.

Speech is going on three years old and he probably didn’t think she deserved to be there when the speech was given. Messed up the details most likely. Haven’t listened to the speech yet myself

I saw the main part, and it's going to come down to interpretation. She did take credit for speeding up the process, and getting it all done in a timely manner, but there wasn't anything malicious or self congratulatory about it.

There wasn't any malicious intent on Trump's call to the widow either though,but that didn't stop the Congresswoman from politicizing it, and making it seem like there was. Tit for tat. Interpretation can be a bitch. Kelly's comments weren't 100% accurate, but they weren't 100% inaccurate either.

My guess is she has rubbed him the wrong way for a while, and he's started attributing imaginary things to her that confirm his opinion. People's memories do that all the time.

It still makes him look stupid as hell for running his mouth about something so specific.

Back