Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

So everyone can choose their specific job and not just that field? For example, 0300 in the USMC is infantry and you have 0311 rifleman, 0331 machine gunner, 0341 mortarman, etc. You can enlist 0300 but not the specific job unless you're a reservist. You're saying that in the Army, someone not only can enlist 11X infantry but they can choose between 11B or 11C?
Air Force too. Jumping into a multi year contract without knowing your job? Lol.

Air Force too. Jumping into a multi year contract without knowing your job? Lol.

That's exactly what I did.
Six year enlistment with a promotion to E-3 (A1C) right after BMT. I just knew that my career classification was "Open General". I could've wound up with pretty much anything as a career but God was merciful and I was given "Pharmacy".

It worked out well for me though. God is good.

That's exactly what I did.
Six year enlistment with a promotion to E-3 (A1C) right after BMT. I just knew that my career classification was "Open General". I could've wound up with pretty much anything as a career but God was merciful and I was given "Pharmacy".

It worked out well for me though. God is good.
I went open contract and got supply. 2 years in everyone in my battalion was made to get civil affairs. I did my actual mos for maybe 6 months during that 4 years. It was an interesting ride

Peacetime or better said Cold War Marine checking in...
1979 - 1983 (4 yrs 5 days) and 2 years inactive reserve
Hollywood Marine who laughs at the PI boys...:)
3 months MOJT for 3051 in 29 Stumps...graduated top in my class (total of 7 :) meritorious promo to PFC...and had my pick of the 7 duty orders; all of which were MSG duty...narrowed it down to 2 non US locations...Guam and Iceland...picked Iceland (why can be told later but should have went with Guam in hindsight)
Iceland was considered hardship duty so we were allowed to request the next duty station...but not before I was promo'd to L/Cpl (pin the stripe parties are so much fun when there's nothing but grunts in your platoon :) and rec'd 2 NJP's (only 1 stripe lost) and then I was off swinging with the wing MATCS-38 style at Tustin LTA base...for my last 3 years :)...received my 3rd NJP and lost a stripe while on temporary duty supporting the reserves in 29 Stumps..UA for 5 days...got back to my unit and they sent me off to pull guard duty...the SOG didn't want me because of the NJP's but the SgtMjr looked at my record and basically asked the SOG "WTF is your problem...this marine rec'd 1.9 2.9 pro and con marks when the book says he should have got 0's...he then asked me how I ended up with a MUC...need less to say the SgtMjr was knew his shit (when I have time I'll regale y'all with the story of how I saved the SOG's ass during Drill time during a CGI...the idiot had us doing about 7 drills while at trail arms...back on task...ended up getting back to L/Cpl and an honorable discharge....I'll drop back from time to time with and regale y'all with a Funny story or two

Peacetime or better said Cold War Marine checking in...
1979 - 1983 (4 yrs 5 days) and 2 years inactive reserve
Hollywood Marine who laughs at the PI boys...:)
3 months MOJT for 3051 in 29 Stumps...graduated top in my class (total of 7 :) meritorious promo to PFC...and had my pick of the 7 duty orders; all of which were MSG duty...narrowed it down to 2 non US locations...Guam and Iceland...picked Iceland (why can be told later but should have went with Guam in hindsight)
Iceland was considered hardship duty so we were allowed to request the next duty station...but not before I was promo'd to L/Cpl (pin the stripe parties are so much fun when there's nothing but grunts in your platoon :) and rec'd 2 NJP's (only 1 stripe lost) and then I was off swinging with the wing MATCS-38 style at Tustin LTA base...for my last 3 years :)...received my 3rd NJP and lost a stripe while on temporary duty supporting the reserves in 29 Stumps..UA for 5 days...got back to my unit and they sent me off to pull guard duty...the SOG didn't want me because of the NJP's but the SgtMjr looked at my record and basically asked the SOG "WTF is your problem...this marine rec'd 1.9 2.9 pro and con marks when the book says he should have got 0's...he then asked me how I ended up with a MUC...need less to say the SgtMjr was knew his shit (when I have time I'll regale y'all with the story of how I saved the SOG's ass during Drill time during a CGI...the idiot had us doing about 7 drills while at trail arms...back on task...ended up getting back to L/Cpl and an honorable discharge....I'll drop back from time to time with and regale y'all with a Funny story or two
I am so glad my unit believed in hazing. I got to keep all of my stripes

I am so glad my unit believed in hazing. I got to keep all of my stripes

I don't recall the air wingers doing it...but the grunts loved it and if you were a fuck up...you got nailed hard. We got our assess handed to us because someone was rushed to the sickbay because of severe bruising...

Lol at all those NJPs

While I was rat fucking the box lunches (leftovers) My XO in Iceland said something along the lines of "lost a stripe on the last one didn't you....don't worry Chesty said you weren't a true Marine unless you had 2 Offfice Hours.....I took his word for that :)

I finally saw Restrepo last night. Great doc and it reminded me once again to thank God for never setting foot in the Korengal (we only sent a platoon there late in our deployment before 3/3 relieved us).

A Day early but Happy Birthday Marines and also Veterans day tomorrow so thank you for your Service.

I think Phantom Fury started tomorrow too.

Happy Veterans Day! Thank you all for your service.

Edit: I'm not a veteran but I appreciate your service.

Happy Veteran's Day to my fellow vets. Marines get some Pedialyte and Advil. To our corpsman I apologize for the involuntary herpes checks last night.

Has anyone else been watching The Long Road Home? The first couple of episodes were really good and they've kept the cheese to a minimum so far. It's on Nat Geo Tuesday night at 10:00.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you can now shop online at AAFES even if you don't have a military I.D. card.

They don't mention how they will verify that you are a veteran with an Honorable discharge. Are they planning to use your social security number to link to your DD Form 214 on some military database?

Back